Emerald Beauty Indeed...

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I love when odd coincidences pop up while I’m out metal detecting, and I had a funny one happen yesterday while I was out hunting an old home site that shows up on an 1886 map. Part of the site has been plowed over and is a farm field, but part of the home’s original yard areas are still quite obvious as an small, thickly overgrown wooded patch. I’ve hunted the field portion a couple times before, but the only time I attempted to hunt the woods, I ended up covered in PI for 2 weeks afterwards :roll: :lol:

Yesterday, I was hunting the field for a bit. I didn’t intend to tangle with the woods this time - the PI shouldn’t be as much an issue this time of year, but I had tweaked by back in the morning and I was afraid one wrong move ducking and dodging branches and thickets would torch it up the rest of the way.

Anyway, I wasn’t finding much in the field other than a couple harmonica reeds, some farm implements, and miscellaneous junk. But I did learn some interesting history about the site: the field/home site sits with a modern home right next door, and about 90 minutes into the hunt the home owner wandered over. I was expecting the usual - either “You finding anything good?” or “Do you have permission to be here?” ;) Instead, I got a new one...”Are you surveying to put in a solar field?” :shock::lol: After squashing his high tech hopes, and mentioning the former home site, he says “oh yeah...that’s actually the house right over there” while pointing at an obviously late 1800s farm house standing next door to his. “They picked it up and moved it about 35 years ago.” Cool info to know - I had assumed the house had been knocked down or burned. If it was moved, maybe the wooded site won’t be very junky!

After that encounter and the lack of field finds, I decided to brave the woods - back be damned! Worst case, I call my wife - “Can you come help me? I threw my back out in this thicket...in the woods...in a field.” :lol::lol:

Turns out it wasn’t too bad bushwhacking my way into a very small area where I could actually stand up and swing fairly well. In short order, I got over a solid 20-21 (EQ800), and deep. The signal was right underneath a discarded plastic card that probably blew in there from some past storm. Moving that out of the way, I started to dig, and soon unearthed an 1898 Indian:

0F8E8F87-3A57-46EF-9493-C2CA3A8AD201.jpg

Cool! My oldest coin from the site so far! But then, for who knows what reason, my eyes happened to fall on that discarded plastic card and I focused on the words near the bottom...yep, I agree, that’s an Emerald Beauty all right :lol: What the heck are the odds for that particular bit of trash landing directly over top of a deep Indian Head cent dropped a century or so before?? I just love that kind of stuff - blows my mind:

B9011A5C-F49F-4A0B-91B7-770782F8B5F3.jpg

A few steps away, I was down on my knees and stretching the machine ahead of me to scan under a small thicket, and got over a solid 26-27, not quite as deep, but nice and compact. I had absolutely no doubt - silver dime. I cleared away enough dead bramble and branches to dig without stressing my back too badly, and sure enough, I got rewarded with the sight of a beautiful reeded rim of a dime from about 5” down, 1942 Merc:

CDC56D3B-CEF2-4480-8057-5E799DF016AE.jpg

2383FD0F-B25C-4899-BA26-6A59C73F9AE1.jpg

Maybe 3 foot away, I got my last coin signal of the day...1934 Wheat. By then it was after 3pm and had to get home to meet my daughters’ bus, so I started to make may way back out of the woods. Half way out, I spotted what looked like a chunk of green glass half sticking out from under a leaf - probably a broken bottle bit, I thought. Picking it out from under the leaf, I was thrilled to see it was a completely intact sample medicine bottle! “Sample Bottle, Foley’s Kidney Cure, Foley & Co, Chicago U.S.A.” Research online says its pre-1906, and good to cure “Bright's disease, chronic inflammation of the bladder, gravel, irritation of the kidneys, diabetes and nervous exhaustion” :lol::

6644D815-4AB8-421C-BF2B-D3CB5FF2FE6E.jpg

All in all a fun hunt, and I’m anxious to get back out into those woods to see what else might be hiding there. I wonder if Foley had a cure all for back spasms?? :lol:

Attachments

• 3C866924-2F71-4B6F-84F3-764A9C50397D.jpg
    3C866924-2F71-4B6F-84F3-764A9C50397D.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 730C8103-8195-4A46-903A-2C37F9F2A142.jpg
    730C8103-8195-4A46-903A-2C37F9F2A142.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 454
  • AB31EDA0-0D6B-482F-BB93-1F3E5EB04855.jpg
    AB31EDA0-0D6B-482F-BB93-1F3E5EB04855.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 469
  • 003EF766-8655-4BFA-B031-28337422549F.jpg
    003EF766-8655-4BFA-B031-28337422549F.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 445
  • 12727AC4-5640-4873-BB6B-C052CC9A124B.jpg
    12727AC4-5640-4873-BB6B-C052CC9A124B.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 446
Good story. Good pix. Luv the in-situ reveal shots, and the emerald green IH .

Now that would be dedication! Strain your back and keep on swinging. Good job on finding a bottle that wasn't broken, and that has embossing that's a plus.

It's good to see you're finding some things before the ground freezes up. You know me I metal detect 12 to 14 hours a week and for the past 3 weeks have came home empty.

I think you made an adjustment to the outing Ben and landed in the Emerald island of discovery. Congrats on a beautiful Indian, the Merc, Wheat and a very neat old glass bottle. Looking forward to your next adventure to this Island paradise. Trapper

Nice finds.
Too bad the bottle wasn't still full, a quick swig and your back wouldn't hurt.

I also hit old overgrown farm steads. Luckily not much PI but lots of raspberry, blackberry and multi-flora roses to push through.

Yea Ben, what are the odds, I love it. You can't make this stuff up. Congrats on a stellar hunt, the Merc and Ihp, wheat, all great finds. The bottle is a nice save also. Nice report and I hope you back makes it to winter lay off. Good luck Mark

Good story. Good pix. Luv the in-situ reveal shots, and the emerald green IH .

Thanks Tom! I'm always pleased when an Indian turns up - I sure wish they all came with a marker sign, though!

X2

Yes , to all Tom said and the photo clarity is stunning . Huge Congrats !

Thanks Soil Surgeon!

Love that bottle and all those great, old coins. Way to go!

Thanks Wash! It was a fun hunt!

Congrats on the nice finds.

Thanks Jamflicker!

Now that would be dedication! Strain your back and keep on swinging. Good job on finding a bottle that wasn't broken, and that has embossing that's a plus.

It's good to see you're finding some things before the ground freezes up. You know me I metal detect 12 to 14 hours a week and for the past 3 weeks have came home empty.

What you call dedication, my wife calls "insanity" :lol::lol: Thanks - I really love that bottle, and I'm amazed it was just sitting on top of the ground :wow: I wonder if an animal or another detectorist dug it up and left it?? I can't imagine it's been sitting there since before the house was moved.

Yep, I haven't had a whole lot of luck the last couple of weeks either - limited time available to hunt, so I've just been hitting old permissions or public spaces. That has led to a lot of less than stellar hunts, but I know that freeze is coming soon, and I'm happy to get out while I still can!

I think you made an adjustment to the outing Ben and landed in the Emerald island of discovery. Congrats on a beautiful Indian, the Merc, Wheat and a very neat old glass bottle. Looking forward to your next adventure to this Island paradise. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I really was pretty leery of heading into those woods, only because I was afraid I'd be crawling out :lol: My back has been feeling better the last couple of days, so I'm sure I'll be back into that wooded area soon!

Nice finds.
Too bad the bottle wasn't still full, a quick swig and your back wouldn't hurt.

I also hit old overgrown farm steads. Luckily not much PI but lots of raspberry, blackberry and multi-flora roses to push through.

Thanks waltr! Good thing there wasn't some rain water in it, I'd have been tempted to tilt that bottle back and give it a shot :laughing: I'd definitely trade the PI for some raspberry and blackberry bushes, though! Built in snacks for the hunt! I'd come out 2 pounds heavier, and streaked in red and purple :laughing:

NICE HUNT BEN. It paid off going in there. Hope you avoided the PI.

Thanks, Charlie! I did see a furry PI vine spiraling up the trunk of a thin tree while I was in there, and I gave it a pretty wide berth - fortunately, I escaped unscathed from the itchy menace. I'm sure it helped that I was covered head to toe since it was colder and windier than my last trip in there!

Yea Ben, what are the odds, I love it. You can't make this stuff up. Congrats on a stellar hunt, the Merc and Ihp, wheat, all great finds. The bottle is a nice save also. Nice report and I hope you back makes it to winter lay off. Good luck Mark

Thanks! I knew you'd love hearing about that one, Mark! I really enjoy these bizarre coincidences as much as the finds :cool3: My back is already feeling much better - hoping to hit those woods again as soon as I get a little time!

Another great story and neat finds! Looks like "gravel" was kidney stones? Hurts just to think about it. 1864 NY Times ad:

Mr. Geo. W. Vaughan, of Grand Rapids, Wood Co., WIS., writes: "In the Fall of 1852 I was taken with a severe affection of the kidney and bladder. My strength rapidly gave way to the ravages of my disease, until I was literally nothing but a walking shadow. For the first five years of my disease my water was of a cherry red color. At times substances the size of a bean, resembling clotted blood, would pass off, and at others something resembling coarse sand. My sufferings were well nigh intolerable. I had taken your medicine only two weeks, when I felt a decided change for the better. In four weeks I had so far regained my strength that I was able to engage in light work; and now (only two months since I commenced the use of your wonderful remedies) I consider myself a well man. It seems it credible, after suffering so long, and doctoring with so many physicians, and paying so much money, that I should be entirely cured in so short a time, and at such a trifling expense; yet such is the case, as all my friends and neighbors can testify. Your practice in this vicinity will be unlimited. Many are astonished at such a wonderful cure, and are daily applying to you for relief. Long may you live to bless your race!"

The above is a correct copy of the statement transmitted to us. It can be seen by calling at our office. Mr. Vaughan will be most happy to recommend us to any that doubt our ability to cure gravel and affections arising from diseases of the kidney and bladder.

Last edited:
Another great story and neat finds! Looks like "gravel" was kidney stones? Hurts just to think about it. 1864 NY Times ad:

Thanks Kevin! And thanks for the NYT ad snippet! You gotta love the old cure all medicines and ads - amazing what they got away with claiming back then...and it really wasn’t that long ago! In a way, it kind of puts things in perspective - you have to wonder what folks will think of our current medical practices in another 100 years!

Yep, I think gravel was, indeed, kidney stones...sure makes it sound horrendous! I’m fortunate enough to say that I don’t have any personal experience, but I bet “gravel” is a more accurate description of what it feels like! :shock:

Great finds!
Robax works wonders for back issues.

Thanks zeemang! And thanks for the tip on the Robax...looks like it’s only available in Canada, though?

Great write up, story and efforts! Congrats and thank you for taking us along. I love that IH and that bottle.

I've got to watch out for PO out here, but I learned (and will need to re-learn the look of PI out your way!

Back
Top Bottom