1862 S seated half

Got this at a stage stop in CA, that a buddy and I have been researching. And ... of course with the obligatory S mint mark (since we require our S mints to stay on this side of the Mississippi after all :cool: )

The coin is very environmentally "kissed", so I didn't bother with any further electrolysis.

Also shown is the associated age indicators from the site : Lantern parts, toe tap, henries, etc....

Great recovery, but you have to show off a coin like that with some kind of reference object!

Ha! Didnt you say in another thread you were stopping in the Sacramento area for "business" yesterday? Hmmmmmmmm, Please tell me you didnt find that in my neck if the woods. If so you owe me 30%...

haha, actually I did stop off for a bit of park turf detecting in Sacramento, after my business meeting. Got an 1881 IH, a few wheaties, a '42 merc, and a '44 foreign coin.

But then continued further south , to try another "back pocket" site, which is where the 1/2 came from. You can have 30% of the Sacramento proper finds. :cool3:

Great find! As soon as I get a Barber half off my bucket list, I'll think about getting a seated half. Unfortunately, the spots I detect only have the occasional large cent! I guess there were a lot of poor farmers living here back in the 1800's.

Now isn't this just so typical : The east coast guy has already crossed the LC off his bucket-list, but hasn't yet got a barber half or seated half ? Ssshheesskk.

Great recovery, but you have to show off a coin like that with some kind of reference object!

Good point. I thought about putting a ball-point pen, or memorial penny , or whatever in the pix. Because, yes, otherwise, at first glance, you can't tell half dime vs dime vs quarter vs half. But since I was doing a pix of the reverse too (where "half" is spelled), I just didn't think to do it.

But in retrospect, you're right : When you put a reference object in, along-side a half, it accentuates the size. And .... after all, we men all know that "size matters", right ? :laughing:

I'll trade ya a few East Coast LC's for that gorgeous Seated Half, Tom. Looks to be in excellent condition before it was lost and environmentally kissed.

BTW, besides being a measure of electrical inductance, what are the henries, that you mentioned in your OP? Never heard of 'em.

Jim

Dang tom, your making me look bad over here. If I can't brag about my easy east cost seateds over the west coast guys, what do I got left? Great save by the way.

Certainly a great natural looking coin. Don't blame you for not wanting to "clean it up". Like it just like it is. Congratulations !!!

Sick sick sick. All we find here in the East is them stinking large cents. So common we toss em sometimes! But that....THAT there is a Coin!
Seriously....nice job Tom.
All the best, Richie

That is one nice coin,Congrats on the save.

Awesome finds Tom, great spots paying off!

Nice find Tom!

Certainly a great natural looking coin. Don't blame you for not wanting to "clean it up". Like it just like it is. Congratulations !!!

Wow Tom! beautiful coin! Relics really tell the story of that location.

wood-butcher, zeemang, Jim-R, Rich, and Digger-Johnny : Thanx for enjoying the finds and hunt with me !

I'll trade ya a few East Coast LC's for that gorgeous Seated Half, Tom. Looks to be in excellent condition before it was lost and environmentally kissed.

BTW, besides being a measure of electrical inductance, what are the henries, that you mentioned in your OP? Never heard of 'em.

Jim

Thanx for the offer of the trade, but .... as much as I envy all your guy's LC's, I will hang on to this :D

Yes, if it hadn't been "kissed", it would be a $200+ value coin :mad:

"Henries" is just a generic term I use for rimfire shell casings. Because Henries (the ones with the "H" on them) are one type. The more correct word would be "rimfires".

Pass that on so the next Californian can post it later ! 🤣

Dang tom, your making me look bad over here. If I can't brag about my easy east cost seateds over the west coast guys, what do I got left? Great save by the way.

Sick sick sick. All we find here in the East is them stinking large cents. So common we toss em sometimes! But that....THAT there is a Coin!
Seriously....nice job Tom.
All the best, Richie

Ok claddy and Tp-metal and Richie : I guess I had the reverse ribbing coming to me , eh ? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom