1890 Morgan Silver Dollar

I like your opinion and the reasoning behind it Splix. I think you very well could be onto something there, and if you don’t know who Rattlehead is on this forum, well....you should. He started out about the same way, and it got WAAAAAY WAAAAAAY out of hand....in a good way.:yes:

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I would not feel right placing such a burden on you.

And I would counter that I do have permission, as it's public state owned land, I pay taxes in this state and am part of the public, and with that said authority fully authorize my expeditions on said land. :)

A “scholar” for sure, the “gentleman” part....a bit fuzzy.;)

Congratulations on the incredible find, and on being blessed with not one, but two silver dollars from that location! :clapping:

Awesome! I also dug a Morgan and Peace dollar in the same area, although in this case they were about 4 miles apart.

Wow first one and now another big silver in a short period of time and in the same location too yet. Big congratulations to you sir.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Any other old coins from that spot or just a couple Morgan’s?

So far I have found a 1922 Peace Silver Dollar and the 1890 Morgan Silver Dollar. I'll be hitting it again this afternoon for about 2 hours, hopefully I find a third coin. If I find a third silver dollar, or coin of similar age I will feel very confident that this is a stash pushed around by years of plowing and not a two coin spill.

Someone asked about the size of the coins, here is a quarter for scale.
coins-scale.jpg

Never dug a Peace Dollar but have dug 4 Morgan's though. Congrats on the MONSTER SILVER! Always a shock to see that huge chunk of Silver laying in the dirt. Continued Success to you.

I've been back to this area 3 times now and turned up no new silver coins. No real hits on anything but farm trash. I have looked over the maps and will give it another shot soon, but move in another area towards where orchards used to sit to see if I can hit anything.

Since you mention the coins being moved by a plow I'll assume the location is a farm.

If it isn't a farm tell us what kind of place, always curious to know that.

Since you mention the coins being moved by a plow I'll assume the location is a farm.

It's a farm now yes, but not with a farm house on the land.. State owned land leased to be farmed. Old maps indicate an orchard used to sit on part of the land. I will hit it again in the spring after the thaw and the field is hopefully plowed.

He did mention not being able to wait for the land to be "turned over" in the spring, another term for plowing.

"Turning over" and even "plowing" are terms often reserved for moldboard plowing (bottom plowing). We don't see much of that anymore, except where tobacco is grown. Is this the kind of tillage you are referring to? That's nice because it can bring deep stuff to the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom