I'm a Believer!!

Diggum

Elite Member
I've seen people say that on average, you have to dig about a hundred pull tabs before you find gold. Well, I believe it! And I have about 199 to go before I find my next one, because I hit this ring on my second recovery! The first was can slaw, and I figured this one would be, too, but I was nicely surprised! At first I though, "Oh, this must be silver." But then I thought, "Wait, it didn't ring up like a quarter, it rang up like a pull tab. GOLD!!!" :run1:

It's 6.0 grams of sweet, buttery, white gold goodness!

After that, I dug a LOT of can slaw, chasing that elusive second ring, but I did get awarded for my patience... (last pic)

Attachments

• 20201017_105256.jpg
    20201017_105256.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 569
  • 20201018_172406.jpg
    20201018_172406.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 20201018_172307.jpg
    20201018_172307.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 20201018_172317.jpg
    20201018_172317.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 515
Great find,it’s on now.lol. You won’t pass up a pulltab signal anymore. What did it ring up at? Congrats on the gold,amazing what people lose

Awesome! I’ve dug 18,000 tabs in 10 years still waiting for my first gold.
You’re on a roll!
Oh my goodness! That's a LOT of tabs! Well, thank you for taking one for the team. That's 180 rings found by others!

Great find,it’s on now.lol. You won’t pass up a pulltab signal anymore. What did it ring up at? Congrats on the gold,amazing what people lose
Thanks, woodbutcher. It was a scratchy 62-69 on the Deus, if memory serves me (Program 2).

Same. I've dug thousands of pull tabs and have 1 gold ring.
Dang! Keep at it! They're out there!

That’s a sweet FG there Diggum! Congrats!!!

And LOL at those tokens!!
Thanks, GS! I thought it was rather appropriate. :laughing:

Beauty!

Score! Nice chunk o gold there!

What coil and frequency were you using? Bet that rang in nicely.

I know it sure seems my gold finds have slowed way down over past year or so, when I compare to my first 6 years or so. I really need to hunt some new ground lol. Feels like I have gone into the 1000 tabs per gold area lol.

Nice ring!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Not sure where you got that "hundred pull tabs before you find gold" idea. That's way off for most dirt hunters, but who cares? You dug a gold ring! Fourteen karat Frederick Goldman is a fine dig indeed!

I think I got my first...and only...gold ring after like 15 pull tabs. I really prefer pulling things that are old out of the ground than things that are worth money.....I would probably be more excited at hitting an 1800s coin than a fat 24k ring.

Good to see some CA action. Congratz.

The only thing I would add to the discussion of tabs vs gold rings ratio, is the trick isn't always to "dig aluminum till your arms fall off", as the recipe to find gold rings. The much BIGGER part of the formula is : Location location location. Some places (that have picnicking, BBQ'ing, etc...) are going to have extremely poor ratios . But other places , like swim beaches (even on dry sand where they're not swimming), are much more conducive to jewelry losses. Or better yet, beaches after storm erosion where mother nature removes all the light-weight aluminum for you :D

And if you have no sandy swim beaches (lake or ocean) near you, and have no choice but to hunt in-land, then there's also types of turf and land that is more conducive to jewelry : Sports related turf, where little to no eating/drinking is going on. Like soccer goal post area, the edges of basket-ball courts (where people take off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before playing basketball . Or ski-slope lines after the spring thaw, d/t all those legions of people who take off their gloves while waiting in line (which tugs on rings), etc....

Score! Nice chunk o gold there!

What coil and frequency were you using? Bet that rang in nicely.

I know it sure seems my gold finds have slowed way down over past year or so, when I compare to my first 6 years or so. I really need to hunt some new ground lol. Feels like I have gone into the 1000 tabs per gold area lol.

Nice ring!!!! Congrats!!!!!
Thanks, AZWIP! I used my 9" coil and stock program 2. It's been treating me really well, lately!

Not sure where you got that "hundred pull tabs before you find gold" idea. That's way off for most dirt hunters, but who cares? You dug a gold ring! Fourteen karat Frederick Goldman is a fine dig indeed!
Thanks, Foragist! And the number comes from various posts over the years of average pull tabs to gold. Hardly scientific, but it's not meant to be.

I think I got my first...and only...gold ring after like 15 pull tabs. I really prefer pulling things that are old out of the ground than things that are worth money.....I would probably be more excited at hitting an 1800s coin than a fat 24k ring.
Thanks for the reply, bunkeru2k. I love finding it all, so whether is a pretty pendant in a tot lot, gold ring in a field, or half dime in a hunted out lot, I get a thrill when it's revealed! I love this hobby, and EVERYTHING I find! :yes:

Good to see some CA action. Congratz.

The only thing I would add to the discussion of tabs vs gold rings ratio, is the trick isn't always to "dig aluminum till your arms fall off", as the recipe to find gold rings. The much BIGGER part of the formula is : Location location location. Some places (that have picnicking, BBQ'ing, etc...) are going to have extremely poor ratios . But other places , like swim beaches (even on dry sand where they're not swimming), are much more conducive to jewelry losses. Or better yet, beaches after storm erosion where mother nature removes all the light-weight aluminum for you :D

And if you have no sandy swim beaches (lake or ocean) near you, and have no choice but to hunt in-land, then there's also types of turf and land that is more conducive to jewelry : Sports related turf, where little to no eating/drinking is going on. Like soccer goal post area, the edges of basket-ball courts (where people take off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before playing basketball . Or ski-slope lines after the spring thaw, d/t all those legions of people who take off their gloves while waiting in line (which tugs on rings), etc....
I agree with your comments, Tom. Those are good places to find stuff (though I found practically zero when I hit up very trafficked sledding hill :no:) Not a lot of beaches around here, even less that you can hunt, so gold can be hard to come by. But it's the hunting that's fun! The finds are the peaks that give us that dopamine hit. :yes: Oh, and your 30% vig is in the mail...

That's a sweet find. Congratulations.

I WISH it was 100:1 ratio...I'd have hundreds of gold rings :) I'm glad you found one though. A Fredrick Goldman find is awesome. I found a paladium one this summer, and didn't realize what I had until I posted it here...I figured paladium was great, but a Goldman adds value.

I've only found one gold ring....hopefully there will be a few more hunts though so I still have time this year.

Back
Top Bottom