Cool key...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Went back to the site I call the iron mine today for the first time since last year, just looking for any cool things that still might be hanging out that I missed.
Found this cool thing, some kind of key but not as large as a full skeleton key.
It has a hole so I guess it goes on a key chain, but I don't know what kind of door it would fit...if it is for a door.
Maybe an old padlock?
If anyone has a clue what this thing is actually used to open that would be great.
At the same site I also found this old keyhole escutcheon plate, always a great day when I find one of these.

Attachments

• P1050860.jpg
    P1050860.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 339
skeleton keys have been around for hundreds of years and used for darn near every kind of lock. I have a few that match your style key. Most of that style were issued by hotels, ship cabins etc. with the room number stamped on one side and a business name or initials on the other. I would research possible hotels/inns with those initials that may exist or have existed in that area.

skeleton keys have been around for hundreds of years and used for darn near every kind of lock. I have a few that match your style key. Most of that style were issued by hotels, ship cabins etc. with the room number stamped on one side and a business name or initials on the other. I would research possible hotels/inns with those initials that may exist or have existed in that area.

can you give guess on this

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 143.jpg
    143.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 305
Went back to the site I call the iron mine today for the first time since last year, just looking for any cool things that still might be hanging out that I missed.
Found this cool thing, some kind of key but not as large as a full skeleton key.
It has a hole so I guess it goes on a key chain, but I don't know what kind of door it would fit...if it is for a door.
Maybe an old padlock?
If anyone has a clue what this thing is actually used to open that would be great.
At the same site I also found this old keyhole escutcheon plate, always a great day when I find one of these.

I'm afraid I can't offer much as to what it would open, all I can do is admire your finds! They're really beautiful objects and I sometimes wish I had lived when even such simple things were so nicely made.

Back
Top Bottom