Axe head id.

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I found this one yesterday and it puzzles me. I have found over a half dozen axe heads and they mostly fall into the jersey or kentuckey mode. but this one is very different. 6.25" X 4.50" by the blade. The back I believe is missing but the rest is in great shape. The back is missing and I believe that is where the handle was. Anyone have an idea on the type and background of this head will be appreciated. Terry

Attachments

• 100_4119.JPG
    100_4119.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 476
I don't know anything about the axe except that it looks old. Great find! Bet you could make a nice display with your six axes.

Doesn’t look American. If you do a google images search for “French axe head” you will see many examples of that similar design. What would that be doing in Texas is the next question.

France was in Texas (1684-1689) before Spain (1690-1821) so that could explain the axe head find? Nice addition to a relic display!

Nice find, Terry! Did you find that in East Texas? If so, it is not unlikely that it is French. The French had a trading post on the Red River in the 1700s somewhere west of the Great Bend and another one near the Sabine, probably in Wood County. If the East Texas Caddoes had European trade goods in the 1700s, they were much more likely (or at least as likely) to be from France than Spain. It was a hard road to get stuff from Spain to Mexico to East Texas. The French could come from Canada down the Mississippi, cut across to either the Red or to the Caddo trace from Arkansas to East Texas (later known as Trammel's Trace).

Nice find, Terry! Did you find that in East Texas? If so, it is not unlikely that it is French. The French had a trading post on the Red River in the 1700s somewhere west of the Great Bend and another one near the Sabine, probably in Wood County. If the East Texas Caddoes had European trade goods in the 1700s, they were much more likely (or at least as likely) to be from France than Spain. It was a hard road to get stuff from Spain to Mexico to East Texas. The French could come from Canada down the Mississippi, cut across to either the Red or to the Caddo trace from Arkansas to East Texas (later known as Trammel's Trace).

I found it outside of Rusk.

Back
Top Bottom