Finding a diamond ring LOST FOR 65 years.

sharitz

In the 1870’s, my great great great grandmother emigrated to the USA from Paris, France with a couple of trunks and a diamond ring, and a lot of hope for a new life. Her family was very wealthy and had sent her away when she became pregnant and unwed.
When she died in 1940, at the age of 92, she bequeathed her most prized possession to her oldest granddaughter (My grandmother) . In about 1943, my newlywed grandmother and grandfather moved into a new home in Mill Valley Ca. My grandmother loved to garden and work in her yard. One day, she took off the ring and placed it in her pocket while gardening. Later that day she realized it was gone and had lost it somewhere in her large yard.
I heard my entire life how she spent months and years, sifting through the dirt, searching in vain for her lost diamond ring. She was heartbroken and the ring became a family legend and a story she told us about every single time I saw her…
My grandparents sold the house in Mill Valley in 1979 and moved to a nearby town.
I visited San Francisco last June and brought my Minelab Excalibur to search the beaches in the Bay Area. My cousin Robert reminded me about the Diamond ring our grandmother had lost 65 years before. We went to the house to ask for permission to search and to our surprise, the owners were not only the same people who had bought the house from my grandparents in 1979, but said the yard had not been changed at all during that time.
The first hit I had was a silver Franklin 50 cent!!!! I gave it to the owners. I found a few pieces of trash and a few clad from the 60’s 70’s…. My grandmother must have lost a lot of things out of her pocket gardening through the years!!
After about an hour looking, I got a strong tone next to a rose bush/ I dug down a few inches and it was a tangle of roots. The owners who were excited and watching me since I arrived begged me to rip the plant out! I pulled the rose out, getting cut up in the process..L I ran the detector over the uprooted plant and then noticed on the very edge of the root ball the glimmer of diamonds! I couldn’t believe I was staring at something I had always heard about.
The people were really nice and made us lunch and we exchanged info and still stay in touch.
I went to see my 90 year old grandmother and presented her with the ring… She was so touched and knew immediately it was the ring… even after 65 years. She could not slip it on her swollen old fingers, but enjoyed looking at it a few days before passing it to my mother. My mother now wears it every day and I’m so happy to have returned to my family a ring with so much history. Metal detecting has helped me find friends, some valuables and has been totally rewarding and fun.

Attachments

• !Bqzs66Q!mk~$(KGrHqMOKkUEu,l0,-8iBLw-G7UQU!~~_35.jpg
    !Bqzs66Q!mk~$(KGrHqMOKkUEu,l0,-8iBLw-G7UQU!~~_35.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,240
AWESOME STORY!!!! I can only imagaine how happy she was to see it again after all of these years & in such nice shape. Looks like it was only lost yesterday!:goodpost::hat3::urock::tiphat::wincup: :waytogo: :extrahappy:

Awesome story!

That is simply an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it with us on this forum!

That is an awesome story for sure. Had to be quite a rush to find it after so many years. Congratulations. Make sure you remind her constantly that you returned her birthright :lol:.

Wow, beautiful story. I was just sitting chatting with my wife at the kitchen table. I asked her if she would like to hear a great story and she said sure. I read your post and it made her cry. Congrats. Thanks for sharing such an uplifting post when all I heard today was bad news. Blessings to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom