UPDATED Big Ring - 14k Gold?

z118

Forum Supporter
Just got back with this... it rang up EXACTLY like a foil bottle top, the kind that come on small plastic milk and orange juice bottle, so when I first saw it in the plug I thought GOLD!!! It came out clean as can be but there is no stamp! It is silver colored like white gold. I have an acid test kit but it isn't so easy with this ring because it does not leave a good streak on the stone, though I tried another 10K white gold ring I found last year and it too does not leave a good streak. Anyway, the streak I do get with this new ring does not seem to be affected by the 14K acid solution... so I'd like tobelieve it's 14K. Any thoughts on this? How common would an unstamped gold band be? It's on the left in the second pic, on my middle finger. I wish there was a stamp so I'd know how exited to be right now!

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 798
Could be stainless or platinum....

More likely stainless steel since it's not marked and doesn't react to the acid test. The two platinum rings I've found were marked, but none of the stainless rings I've found were. One of the stainless rings looked very much like the one you found, and looked to be pretty much the same size. Darn good find regardless........

thats gold swing by a jeweler and have him look at it if it was in a area that it could be real old I have heard they didn't stamp some way back in the day, but my money would say "Gold"

Maybe it is stainless... that would be kind of annoying.

I air tested a couple of rings just to see how they rang up on the Sov.

Back left in the pic, silver, rang up just like silver. Unmistakable.

Back middle, small 10k white gold ring, rang up pretty low, in the foil range (well below nickel).

Back right, thin 14k ring, rang up like a pull tab, well above nickel but below zinc penny/clad.

Front left, the new mystery ring. Rang up a little lower than the small 10k ring in the back row.

Front right, my wedding band, decent thickness 14k, ran up like a pull tab, well above nickel but below zinc penny/clad.

I guess this little experiment doesn't tell me too much. I'll weigh the ring at work on Tuesday and maybe that will give me some perspective, and if not I'll have to take it to a jeweler.

Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 746
I have tested with acid a lot and the gold always stays when acid is applied. Also, the streak is usually soft when done but not always if other metals are included. Both of my rings that I wear are 14K but have no stamps as I couldn't afford one when I made them eons ago. Steve in so az

Okay, you tell me?

The ring and the test kit:

IMG_3325.jpg

The streak:

IMG_3326.jpg

14k solution (top) and 10k solution (bottom) applied:

IMG_3327.jpg

After 2 minutes and a quick rinse under water:

IMG_3328.jpg

Ummm... What's it supposed to do? I don't see any change? Is that a good thing?

yes... if the streak disappears where you apply the acid then the metal is less than the purity of the solution you used.

Hmmm....maybe its a higher karet...or else it's another material :?:
Good luck....still hopin' for gold for ya :waytogo:

The gold I have tested showed a more solid streak when struck on the stone. Yours seems to be broken up some. After 20 seconds or so the streak should be disappearing if not gold. If gold, it should remain a strong streak inside the liquid.
Yours is a little hard to tell by pics. I guess take it to a reliable jeweler. Steve

I just got back from the jeweler who checked it with one of those electronic gold testers... and it is gold! At least 10k per the jeweler, though I have a suspicion it might be higher. The jeweler did confirm that an unstamped band like this would be very unusual, so it is likely the stamp just wore off. Anyway a gold ring will make my day any day. It weighs a little over 3.6 grams.

Thanks as always for all the replies and insight!

That is what I was thinking ,white gold!!!I have found one like this with no stamp ,turned out to be 14K .Congrats on gold !!!Good luck and HH

Back
Top Bottom