• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Silver and a Whatsit

hoser

Forum Supporter
I had about an hour this morning before I had to start my outside work, so I decided to hit my old campground for that time. I used some different settings just to see if I could get down even deeper. I wanted to try the 3kHz setting too. Found my second Barber quarter. A 1914D at 7", a 1951D Rosie at 6", a hub cap from either a model T, or model A Ford which tells me that there is some old stuff in that area. The Barber I found today was about fifty feet from the last one I found. The washington is from a while back, but I never posted a pic of it. Now to the "whatsit" Have no clue as to what ti could be. :?: It screws into something on one end, has feet to bolt or screw down to something, and there is an adjustment knob on top. Anyone have any idea as to what it might be?

Last edited:
Here is a closeup of the Barber. Not in the best of shape, but what the heck, its still a Barber :lol:

Attachments

• 2nd barber 005a.jpg
    2nd barber 005a.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 200
Hoser - my guess on your "whatsit" is a part of a musical instrument.   :?:  Although I think it would jave been welded and not bolted like it seems.

Nice, hoser! The Barber is not in the best of shape you say?! Who are you kidding? :lol:

That's a beauty! You know, all that stuck crud will come off easily in a soak of ammonia. The quarter won't be harmed, and it will look really nice and not artificially shiny. Just an idea. :)

I think the "whatzit" is some kinda flow valve. The coarse threads on the one end were used to attach rubber hose.

Craig..........too tired??? :lol:

Great Barber hoser. Now you're really making me look bad! BTW, the whatsit looks like an adjustable pressure valve that would be used on a screen door. The valve would adjust the speed at which the door would shut. That's my guess anyway :?:

I'll take any ole Barber any time considering I've never even seen one . Way above average I would say. My guess on the whatsit is that it came from the same place as the hubcap- from an old Ford.

Thanks all. I'll find out what the crazy thing is if it kills me. After really looking it over closer, to me, it looks like a pressure bleed valve for something. The only connection is at the one end you all see in the pic. There is the small hole in the side, and I think the knob on top might be a plunger. I tried turning it, but never tried PUSHING it :roll:.

Sure is in great shape! I am still waiting for my First Barber coin. Hopefully, it will have half the Liberty that yours does! :grin: Congrats!

I assume the tewrm "Barber" is a nickname, can anyone tell me how it came by this name please ?

Back
Top Bottom