1989 D Gold Dime!?!?!?!?

Rev_Beav

I found a 1989 Gold Dime while hunting yesterday. From what I researched is that Sprint put 1000 of these out into circulation and the first person to call and confirm they found one won $25,000 & free long distance as part of a "dime a minute" promo. Each additional one found after that received a $1000 cash prize. I just wondered if this coin had any collector value since it's technically only worth its face value however it's a 1 of 1000 coin... What do you think? Nobody have ever sold one on ebay so IDK what it's worth.

Attachments

• 293156_429160390456653_667391190_n.jpg
    293156_429160390456653_667391190_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 21,072
  • 408211_429160073790018_312663104_n.jpg
    408211_429160073790018_312663104_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 22,162
The number is now a refinance number :(

Here's the research I found... Do you think this has value to a collector?

KANSAS CITY, Mo., April 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Finders of the rare 24 karat gold-plated dimes dropped into U.S. currency circulation on Thursday, April 3 are at large. Across the country, these Amazing gold dimes placed under your nose can turn into big dollars if you find them -- up to $25,000 to be exact. So go out and start searching! No gold pans are needed to find these gold dimes because The Amazing Kreskin, the "world's foremost mentalist," can and has given his predictions as to where the dimes are located. Kreskin kicked off The Amazing Sprint Sense Dime Find from the Dime Savings Bank of New York and simultaneously 1,000 gold dimes were dropped in locations where consumers make phone calls. In order to turn Sprint's Amazing gold dimes to dollars, consumers must call 1-888-GRAB-GOLD (1-888-472-2465) to report their gold dime find. The first person to call 1-888-GRAB-GOLD and complete Sprint's gold dime verification process will win a $25,000 Amazing Sprint Sense Dime Find grand prize and one year of free long distance from Sprint. Each of the next 10 individuals who call 1-888-GRAB-GOLD and repeat Sprint's gold dime verification process will receive a year's worth of free long distance and an Amazing Sprint Sense Dime Find runner-up prize of $1,000. Others who call after the first 11 reported and verified finds may turn in their dime for prepaid long distance prizes. Sprint, the communications giant recognized for its flat dime-a-minute long distance rate, has turned TV fantasy into reality with The Amazing Sprint Sense Dime Find. Current Sprint television ads depict consumers gaining "magical" control over their life after finding Sprint's dime on the street. The Amazing Sprint Sense Dime Find brings the magical feel of the commercials to life and truly shows the power of Sprint's Amazing dime. "We're literally taking Sprint's advertising campaign out of the TV and into the real world," said Tom Kessler, director of marketing for Sprint's Consumer Services Group. "Just as the ads show that discovering Sprint's dime-a-minute rate can help consumers gain control of their long distance bill, finding one of Sprint's Amazing gold dimes could help them control other areas of their life, with a chance for prizes up to $25,000." When Sprint Sense was launched in January 1995 it revolutionized the industry, changing the face of long distance pricing. The plan has been recognized for its simple, easy-to-understand rate and helped Sprint land the top spot in a J.D. Power and Associates customer satisfaction study the past two years in a row. Sprint Sense provides a 10-cent-a-minute flat long distance rate nights and weekends, when 75 percent of all consumers say they make their long distance calls, making it the simplest calling plan for the majority of consumers. Sprint is a global communications company -- at the forefront in integrating long distance, local and wireless communications services and the world's largest carrier of Internet traffic. Sprint built and operates the United States' only nationwide all-digital, fiber-optic network and is the leader in advanced data communication services. Sprint has $14 billion in annual revenues and serves more than 16 million business and residential customers.

I just called sprint since I'm a customer anyway and they are escalating to a higher up. I'll hear something by Wednesday if I get $1000 for the coin!!! Fingers crossed! The promotion stated the next 10 to get turned in after the $25,000 winner gets $1000 and only 2 others have turned one in!!!

I just called sprint since I'm a customer anyway and they are escalating to a higher up. I'll hear something by Wednesday if I get $1000 for the coin!!! Fingers crossed! The promotion stated the next 10 to get turned in after the $25,000 winner gets $1000 and only 2 others have turned one in!!!

That is awesome! Keep us posted , happy hunting.

What's to stop a person from taking a 1989 D dime & having it gold plated? I used to work as an electro plater for years & I still know people there. Heck, I could bring them a few & ask them to drop them in the gold tank for a few minutes for me. It wouldn't cost me a dime. Even if someone were to pay an electro plating company to do this for them it certainly wouldn't cost them anywhere near a thousand to have it done. It's only a flash of gold that is applied to the coin. Then they could turn it in for a nice profit. I wonder if there is some kind of mark or something on those dimes so they can verify it is indeed one of their dimes.

Good question, but I have no idea, I just dug it up looked it up and started researching it. Come to find out it's one of 1000, I don't know why anyone would go and have a dime gold plated otherwise so I'm guess it's the real thing. Who knows! I just hope it nets me a $G!

Hope it works out. I dug a gold plated dime in a park near Randolf Air Force Base in Texas back in 85 or 86. I still have it, 1975 D. I always figured it was from a jewelry piece. Back then I had a Micronta machine from Radio Shack. Found my 1st ring with that machine in the same park.

Still waiting on their call today, they said today they'd give me a call about it... That's interesting one was found in 85 or 86, I wonder why they were even around that long ago... IDK why anyone would bother plating a dime to begin with but who knows, if it doesn't work out for me getting $1000 then I'll see if anyone on here wants to buy it or auction it or something. maybe it won't have collector value if people are out plating them... I thought this is a 1 of 1000 coin but I may be wrong, who knows...

Back
Top Bottom