Silver Monday

angellionel

Elite Member
Today’s finds come from a meadow I had detected last year. I had dug an old gauge shell at the time, found at 12 inches, and felt that it held promise. The heavily wooded area surrounding the meadow also looks like it would produce some old copper. Today I found several interesting items in those woods, though no coins. The meadow, however, did produce some silver, including a silver clad JFK 1967 half dollar. I also found three memorial cents and one wheaty, dated 1953.

Before heading to the meadow, I stopped at the site I had hit this past Saturday. I wanted to see if the ground had thawed out, since I was hoping to dig up the target I couldn’t retrieve due to the frozen soil. Unfortunately, the ground is still too hard, so that target will have to wait. Nuts! I now made the 45 minute drive to the meadow.

Once at the site, I had to walk for while before I could reach the meadow, but I did make a few stops along the way to hit some of the wooded sections near the dirt roads. Nothing there, but I can’t discount them. I will have to take my time to detect them one of these days. At the moment, the meadow was foremost in my mind.

When I arrived at the meadow, I dug a few holes to determine if the ground was frozen. I was in luck, as only the first ? inch or so seemed somewhat frozen, with the deeper soil having a crumbly consistency. I loaded the 15 kHz program, made some slight adjustments, and began to detect.

The good thing about this site is the virtual lack of trash. Most of the coil swings were devoid of targets, with just the occasional iron signal. After being there just about 40 minutes, I came upon a beautiful tone, registering a solid VDI of 92, and pinpointing at 6 ? inches. The target had my attention, since it was easy to determine that it wasn’t a large piece of metal. I carefully cut through the soil and began to dig. At about the seven-inch mark I saw an orange object. I picked it up and recognized what it was, since as a kid I had a few of them – a coin holder. Now I was intrigued! What could it be holding? I pried it open and then I saw the content, it’s a silver clad JFK 1967 half dollar! I was stoked!

I carefully detected the immediate surrounding ground and after a while hit on another nice tone. This target ended up being a 1952-S quarter. Sweet! The next hour or so didn’t produce anything else, so now I decided to hit the woods. Digging here is great, since the leaves covering the ground act as insulation, and the soil doesn’t freeze as quickly as the open fields.

The wooded area yielded the following items - two large bullet casings, a 1955 dog tag, and some type of Springfield Police pin, but it is in bad shape. It does look old, and was at just over 7 inches deep. After a while I headed back to the meadow and detected for another two hours. There I was able to dig up three more silver coins, a 1943 quarter and two mercury dimes, dated 1941-D and 1938.

It was getting dark and so I headed out, but I’m considering taking another shot at the site on Tuesday, though I had another site planned for that day. I’ll see how I feel in the morning.

Angel

Here's a scan of the coin holder.
coinholder.jpg

Here's what it held.
coins022006A.jpg

The rest of the silver.
coins022006B.jpg

The items found in the woods.
finds022006A.jpg

And yet again you have outdone yourself Angel. Very, very nice finds. You seem to have the luck of the Irish. :D

Thanks, hoser! :grin:

I thought that it was funny finding that half the way I did. Almost as if it had been gift wrapped. :lol:

Angel

Great job man. I bet that half was some kids prize posession he carried with him everywhere and just happened to be rough housing with a buddy one day when it flew out of his pocket and waited for its next owner...you. Congrats!

You always hear about some people having all the luck. Angel has all the luck and all the silver too :lol: Great finds!

Angel, those are outstanding finds! Very sweet coins, and I love that police pin!! Great stuff! Looks like you need to get back to that meadow when the warmer weather get here to stay!!

Thanks, guys!

I'm definitely going to hit the site again once things warm up. That was rough going digging through that rock hard soil. :shock:

Angel

Back
Top Bottom