Ghost town

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I hunted an ghost town yesterday that was settled in the 1850's but didn't boom until the late 1880's. It had a post office and 2 stores. In 1910 the post office was closed and the town faded away. I found these pieces at that site but I'm not sure if they date back to that time period. The tuberler piece is 2"x.6" and is brass inside threads. The arrow is pewter Can someone help to ID and date these pieces

Attachments

• 000_0029_815.jpg
    000_0029_815.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 427
Terry, the button looking thing is a weight that would be sewn into a lady's dress to keep the wind from blowing it up.
I have a lead one that was identified for me. Mine was lead early to mid 1700s. my guess is yours is a bit later, maybe late 1700 - early 1800s

Nice finds. I would suspect to find$$$$$ in the same location.

Terry,

Jeff is correct about the weight and I think the tubular thing is an air cap for a tire the arrow no clue... Where are the old bottles and stuff? How do you know the arrow thing is pewter? Is it marked?

GHOST TOWN... PICTURES ???

I am in Belgium and I know hardly what a gost town IS. Seen a few in France and Spain, though. How about posting some pictures of that place ? That would be GREAT !!!!

Thank you very much (in advance !)...

Hahahaha

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium (over-populated !)

The tube looks like a screwdriver handle to me. Looks big for a tire cap, but then again I have no idea of the exact dimensions.

Here are the rest of the pieces I've found there over the past 3 hunts not counting the "real junk". :lol: A quarter is above the tube.
Bob there are no structures standing. It's just a pasture.
Craig I think I'm wrong about the arrow. It's heavy to be so small. Lead?
My dad said that the oval loop looks like part of of a trace chain and the piece above it might have gone to a single tree. He was raised up logging.
The piece at top right is part of a lock. The can has raised letters but I can't tell what it reads. The large shard is a quarter inch thick. The 3 pieces to to the left of it I think are china. Below the shards to the right has a metal tube going through it. The piece next to it is a pully wheel.

Terry, Craig is correct: The tubular piece is an antique valve stem cap for a tire. I found one last summer in an old farm trash dump up in CT. Does it happen to say Schrader on it?

Here's a pic of mine for comparison:

Sure does TK. The first part of the word is broken off but I can make out the "ader" also the date of 1907 and USA over 1916. Thanks

The can/pail had a handle at one time. I was able to clean one side enough to read , Jack and Jill went up the hill and it shows two kids going up a hill to the left and The cow jumped over the moon to the right.

Nice finds Terry. I would think there would be some areas that will produce some old coins for you there. Especially around the old stores. People liked to just hang out in front of old stores and shoot the breeze. No other buildings in the area? Any idea how many people lived there? Man, would I love to find an old place like this to hunt. Good luck.

Hoser what got my blood going was that after the reseach I did proved out that I was in the right place. Have high hopes for future hunts.

Back
Top Bottom