Old Lock

xlt nh

This was my very first Relic find back in 1987.....and I've been hooked ever since!
It hung on the wall in my garage for many years all rusty, so I decided to wire wheel and buff it to find some markings..it cleaned up really nice, but no markings to speak of. It's solid iron with a raised brass keyhole, and measures 4" tall by 2 1/2" wide by 3/4" thick. The locking hasp is made from solid 1/2" iron..it's a rugged lock that was built to keep something or someone safe!

If anyone has ever seen anything like this I'd appreciate the feedback so I can try to date it. It was found next to a 1765 Colonial house at about 5" deep. The IH is for size comparison. Thanks for looking!

HH, Hank :grin:

Attachments

• First Lock.jpg
    First Lock.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 141
  • First Lock Reverse.jpg
    First Lock Reverse.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 141
wow what a great thing to find , to bad the trunk full of silver wasn't attached . to me that looks about the right time period . i've got a few old miller locks but they don't look that old. nice find hank

Cool looking lock! Is it a Master Lock? :lol:

Yep, it's definitely the 'Boss'! Here's another I dug a few years ago. It's from the early to mid 1800's and reads 'Midget - Six Lever'. It's 2" tall by 1 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick and all brass.
Thanks for looking! Hank :grin:

Attachments

• Midget Six Lever Lock.jpg
    Midget Six Lever Lock.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 121
Very coolidge. Looks old enough to be original to the house. I did some googling but haven't found a match yet. Let us know if you find out more about it.

Better huntin

Nice old lock Hank, nice cleaning job as well. Now for the real challenge, find the key. :P

DirtDigger (New Hampshire)

Back
Top Bottom