Poll

Honestly would you report a find if it meant losing it?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
If I knew who the owner was, I would return it to them. If I find an unmarked gold ring at the park, I doubt I would turn it in to the police though as I know I would never see it again, regardless of whether the original owner got it back on not.

Doug

that really depends on what it was and where it was.... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really depends on location. Public park and run of mill gold ring then no I am keeping it. Private property and jewelry I would show the owner. Just my opinion.

:hmmm: yea...I'd report things. I'm in this for the thrill of the hunt. I have no big collection, and I'm not here for the money.

In general, of course. Like everyone said, case by case...

(but then, I've never found anything worth reporting!)

neil

If the ring or item was identifiable in some way (inscription, class ring with initials, etc). I would make an attempt...it's only fair as if I'd lost the item I would hope the finder would do the same. Of course, that wouldn't prevent me from hoping no one ever makes a claim! ;)

Craig

It depends out here in Germany. We find all sorts of things out here. When we find UXO's we report as many as we can, then its up to the local authorites to do what they do. Also we chance finding lost soldiers or dogtags and again we would report those if we found them or at least attempt to find the family. Most of our finds are not identifiable though.

Official Poll added, nonrelevent comments removed.

Thanks for the great question PESKEYBOBCAT! :yes:

YES - if it is historical and it goes to a museum where everyone could enjoy it, AND I get credit for the find!

HELL NO - if the government just wants it to lock it away in a vault somewhere

Maybe??? I guess if it's a ring or watch or something of value and the owner can be undoubtedly verified, then yes. If there is any question to ownership then NOPE!

If positive ID was made, I'd return it in a New York minute. Otherwise it stays in my personal PD "property room" until someone claims it. Not doing so would go against all I've been taught, believe in and raised my kids to do....

Dusty

If it is coinage no, if it was a ring then I may post it on Craigslist stating the location and ask that whoever thought it was their to identify it through a description. Anything with a name inscribed then yes I would try to find the owner.

imagesCAB20STF.jpg
what would Jesus do

If I could identify the owner I would return it. I found a silver class ring with no markings. I'm not going to write the school and ask if anyone lost a ring.