My best MD find yet!

gismapper

Unbeknown to me, a friend of my wife and I had lost her engagement ring two years ago at the swimming pool in our development. It happened before I had even taken up metal detecting as a hobby. Several months after I got my Ace 350, the subject of my new hobby came up, and this friend mentioned her ring. I took a few quick passes with my Ace and found nothing of significance, but I wasn't very experienced at the time. It didn't help that the pool is padlocked shut from the end of August to the end of May.

So this year I made up my mind that i was going to make a more careful search, armed with an extra year of experience and an Etrac. My wife carefully interviewed the owner to get a better idea of where she was sitting and what the ring was made of. We had assumed it was a typical thin gold engagement ring...turns out it was a thicker, heavy platinum one. That gave me a better idea of what to look out for.

Two attempts turned up nothing, but tonight...success! Sorry the story isn't more dramatic, but when we told our friend that the ring was found, she couldn't breathe. That ring meant so much to her...she immediately drove half an hour to come pick it up, braving severe thunderstorms along the way. I didn't secure permission to post her picture, but here's the ring, and the hand where it belongs. She had never replaced the ring, for whatever reason. Now she doesn't have to!

I never thought I'd have so much fun *not* keeping something valuable that I found!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks! And I should have mentioned, I'm sure the Ace would have found it, but until today, i had never found gold or platinum with my Etrac. I was determined to experience that. It was very helpful to have the ability to discrim basically the whole screen except for 11-1 to 13-15. It was only 1/2" down and it rang up as 12-8, popping up to 13-9 here and there. From what I read on here, platinum registers lower than gold, but this was a thick, heavy ring, so i wasn't sure what the numbers would be. I had a feeling I'd know it when I saw it though.

Awwwww, shucks!

:blush2:

I truly couldn't have done it (or at least not nearly as efficiently) without all the fantastic advice and info from all you folks!

right on!! great story and congrats on both finding it and for getting it returned to it's rightful finger. :D
btw: what a chunky-looking ring! that thing is heavy duty!! :shock:

Pete

right on!! great story and congrats on both finding it and for getting it returned to it's rightful finger. :D
btw: what a chunky-looking ring! that thing is heavy duty!! :shock:

Pete

You got that right Pete! I couldn't believe it but it feels as heavy as my gold wedding ring...and I have a wide, thick ring.

Thx again for the kind words everyone.

Back
Top Bottom