• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

UPDATE 1976 High School Ring Owner Found!!

metalwrkr

Ace-N-dig250 posted this ring find under the "General discussion" Heading. I was invited by him to hunt at his residence on Ft. Lewis. I found the ring, which had initials, and contacted the High school alumni site. The administrator of the site responded to my request for help to find the owner. She volunteered to spearhead the quest and..........FOUND THE OWNER! It was far more involved than I imagined. She arranged a conference call with the owner who verified the pertinent facts of the loss. The ring was lost in 1983 when he was stationed at Ft Lewis. It was found next to his quarters at the time where he had a run for his dog. The ring has been buried for 30 years! I am amazed it's in such good shape. I'll arrange for returning it to the east coast and will post any further pictures as they become available.

Here is a link to the Fayetteville NC Observer Newspaper:
http://www.fayobserver.com/opinion/news_columns/article_d2d25e1e-9c1f-5bee-9469-b66e7fdb436f.html
What the reporter did NOT say is that there are Detectors all over the country who return lost items everyday without the slightest amount of fanfare! YOU know who you are! A tip of the hat and a thumbs up to every one of you...Russ K.

Attachments

• IMG_0856 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0856 (800x600).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0866 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0866 (800x600).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 872
  • Highschoolring2.jpg
    Highschoolring2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 590
  • Highschoolring3.jpg
    Highschoolring3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
***Updated*** in original post above

*** Updated*** in original post above with pictures and link to article

Did you find it with the ATP if so This needs to be sent in to Garrett maybe get to make the news letter . Awesome Job this makes Our hobby stand out .

Did you find it with the ATP if so This needs to be sent in to Garrett maybe get to make the news letter . Awesome Job this makes Our hobby stand out .

Ace-n-dig250 and I were both using ATPros. Ace was using the 8.5X11 coil and found a silver ring and I was using the 5X8 coil. The class ring ring came up as a solid 70 and an honest 6" deep. Maybe Ace-n-dig250 will chime in with the VDI and depth of his ring. It was a great hunt with lots of other goodies and good fellowship!

You know that is AWESOME. I just have one observation.

I for one will NEVER weigh a gold ring I know I am going to return. I don't EVER want to know how much money I just gave away!

Congrats on a job well done

Pretty cool story! I hope someday I will be able to do that for somebody.

I lost my class ring many years ago and I know how I would feel to get it back, though I doubt I ever will. Stories like this do give some small amount of hope.

Thanks for doing the right thing. It makes us all look good.

Absolutely no surprise here. Having dug with Metalwrkr for nearly a year now, and meeting Ace-N-Dig250 for a dig, I know them both to be men of high moral character. Possibly a down side to this for Russ is that the ring wasn't a $5K diamond and the owner a beautiful woman. It would be worth a mint to see his face when she planted a reward kiss on his forehead.:lol: Way to go guys, you just raised the bar for all other MDers.:dingding:

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

The way my luck runs..........

She would let her Irish Setter give me a big sloppy kiss! ............(and my wife would be OK with that)

Back
Top Bottom