What number does an Indian Head Penny show as on an ATP?

RF1

See title. I am pretty new to this, but have found pennies, dimes and quarters, but no nickles, Indian head pennies of buffalo nickels. All my coins so far have shown 78-90 on my ATP. What do nickles, IHP and buffalo nickles show up as?

at pro

I,ve had nickles ring up anywhere from 50 55,buffs,40 to 60,IHP,anywhere from 70 to 78.Thats in my soil. your conditions may be different.

AT Pro Readings

Hi,
I am using an AT Pro with a Garrett 8 X6 " Coil. My machine reads 72-73 on zinc pennies, 77-78 on an Indian head penny and 51-52 on a buffalo & clad nickel. A clad dime is 81-82 and clad quarter is 86-87. These are very consistent on my AT Pro with the coil mentioned above. If I remember correctly the bigger coil that comes standard with the AT Pro reads the same . I do like the smaller coil better, I think it sorts out the junk better. Nickels are hard because if you notch out pull tabs, ( 53 ) you will likely notch out the nickels. I run in the Pro Zero with two notches less than full sensitivity. Hope this helps you. Good luck with you machine, it's a good coin shooter. I hunted today and got a bit over $6.00 in clads at a Jr. High football and soccer fields. Bubbaron AT Pro, AT Pro Pin Pointer, Garrett 6x8" Coil, Nox 600 Soon

Thanks guys - helpful info. The last home site I was searching is littered with rifle casings and I think they show up in the same range as a nickel.

I found a IH the other day that came in at 70 with a medium tone, most of the time when I have had a 70 it will be a high tone. I been running my the same as bubbaron is running his but I have the stock coil. Nickels come in around 53. Hope this helps.

As you learn your machine you can actually hear the difference in the tones of a lot of pull tabs and nickels. Nickels are usually for me 51-53 and mostly very clear sounding. Pull tabs can also be in that same range but most times won't sound near as strong and clear. You'll have to commit yourself to dig up quite a few pull tabs to actually learn the difference and even then you'll still dig up what you are sure is a nickel and still get a PT. I only have a few nickels compared to a lot more dimes and quarters and tons of pennies lol

Injuns are typically lower (75-79) than memorials which are 80-81.
I guess all nickels are about the same, in the 51-53 range.

Good luck out there:D

Not sure where you are at, but in my soil (Eastern PA, high ground balance numbers) an Indian Head often sounds like a zinc penny - a bit lower than a wheat, and quite jumpy sometimes. So in the 70s, sometimes jumping down as low as 68 or 69 on the low end, but in the 70s. Remember, if you are finding wheats, Indian heads will likely be at least as deep or deeper than the wheats. Deeper coins will have a bouncier signal - low and slow will help. Took me a little bit to get the drift of them on the ATP.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom