• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on light weight detector...my arm is killing me.

Happa54

Forum Supporter
Hey Everyone;

I need a recommendation to a light weight machine. I have been watching youtube and reading articles on the XP Deus and Fisher F75 LTD SE.

I have been swinging a Minelab and my tennis elbow has come back. If I continue this way, my love for this hobby will be short lived.

I hunt Los Angeles trashy parks and I don't do beaches (not to say that I won't ever do it). I don't have enough info/data on how effective the Deus is here on the West Coast so I am reaching out to the forums for feedback.

Is there something else that I should be looking at besides Deus & Fisher that is light weight? Garrett is not an option either... too heavy.

Thanks for stopping in.

XP Deus is the lightest machine out there right now and would be great for the type of hunting you said you do. Im not so sure it would be a good fit for beach or water hunting . Everybody is saying the new Equinox is light. When I had my Fisher F75 it was not a light machine in my opinion. I would think it would be about like the Safari, as far as weight goes.

Hey Everyone;

I need a recommendation to a light weight machine. I have been watching youtube and reading articles on the XP Deus and Fisher F75 LTD SE.

I have been swinging a Minelab and my tennis elbow has come back. If I continue this way, my love for this hobby will be short lived.

I hunt Los Angeles trashy parks and I don't do beaches (not to say that I won't ever do it). I don't have enough info/data on how effective the Deus is here on the West Coast so I am reaching out to the forums for feedback.

Is there something else that I should be looking at besides Deus & Fisher that is light weight? Garrett is not an option either... too heavy.

Thanks for stopping in.

For a metered detector.
Deus is about 2-2.2 pounds. No small low freq coil available though.

You are probably looking around 3 pounds for detector weight for anything else really considered light weight.

You might want to look at the following.

Makro Multi Kruzer- I have used its cousin Nokta Impact, with smaller coil dynamite setup for hunting modern trash and nails. I don't know if smaller coils offered for yet or not. The detector itself is a available in USA

Minelab Equinox- I have the 800 model, one problem though this model difficult to get, small coils not offered just yet.
There is also a 600 model Equinox too.

Good,luck whatever you decide.

Given the information provided I would suggest the Equinox with the small coil. Should prove pretty light. Unfortunately that combo might not be available for quite some time.

I tell you what...I hear you on that sore elbow deal...my AtPro will kill me in about an hour of drysanding.....But, I have also been swinging an F70 (Patriot) for 9yrs now...I hold it like its a pencil, thumb and fore finger...Its like an extension of your arm..very light and well balanced and super features..Never one lick of trouble with it...

Then a few years ago, I lightened it up some more! Cut all the fins off the 11"dd, got rid of the camlocks, ran the coil cable internal....The reason I cut off the coil fins is because they will catch all the wet mowed grass, sand, snow, and make that coil weigh a ton! Now I have no problems at all... The Patriot is the exact same thing as the F70...For what the F70 is capable of, its very under rated...Lots of posts written about it by DIGGER27 et al. Take a look at that one...its priced right...got more power per penny, bang for buck,than anything else out there....Your bending over muscles will wear out long before your arm does...It will flat roll through a park and quick sweep it all up...

Attachments

• fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 520
  • cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 530
  • nov 18-17-4.jpg
    nov 18-17-4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 529
  • field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 543
Have you tried a harness? Some people say it takes most of the weight off and they can swing for hours without issues.

If weight is your number one issue there is nothing competing with the Deus. If the Nox was a pound lighter I’d give it a try, but about 50% heavier than the Deus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X2 on the Patriot/F70 being light. I'm still new to the Patriot but she swings EASY. .....love the red glove Mud lol.

Small coils would be lighter for sure, but the newer faster machines do not need them as badly as the older slower machines did. And don't forget .....to get the same coverage as with a larger coil you need to swing at least twice as much. The Deus 9" coil is very fast and may be a good compromise between these two considerations.

I used a harness for a while, it's kind of a hassle but effective. If you can afford it the Deus is the easiest machine to swing out there and you won't give up the performance you are used to.

I had tennis elbow real bad-- I researched it and was told to SHORTEN your Shaft, swing more upright.
THis has worked for me, also, switch arms and you'll get used to it after a couple hunts

Let me know how it goes
M

I had tennis elbow real bad-- I researched it and was told to SHORTEN your Shaft, swing more upright.
THis has worked for me, also, switch arms and you'll get used to it after a couple hunts

Let me know how it goes
M

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer suggestions. XP is an option at this time.

Heymirth.... It's interesting you suggest shortening of the shaft. Jam and I were out on a hunt last night and I borrowed his arm pad and he also suggested that I shorten my shaft considerably. For the year that I've been swinging the Safari my shaft was extended way too long thereby causing my arm to carry all the weight of the machine. By making this adjustment my arm was no longer carrying the weight of the machine and I was able to swing (although alternating from one arm to the other) for a couple of hours pain free. Now I have to test this on a 10 hour hunt which is what we normally do.

I have both my rigs set up with the Tall Man lowers, extended all the way out...
I'm only 5'9" with heels! :laughing:

You might want to try to come up with an alternative ergonomic swing style...Swing with your legs/torso/hips and not your arm...

You keep your arm and elbow tight to your side and swing with your entire body...Its really helpful to use all your muscles evenly so as to not isolate the strain to any one area....I do this in the water with that big NEL Thunder especially...or a guy will blow out their elbow quick trying to force it...

I have both my rigs set up with the Tall Man lowers, extended all the way out...
I'm only 5'9" with heels! :laughing:

You might want to try to come up with an alternative ergonomic swing style...Swing with your legs/torso/hips and not your arm...

You keep your arm and elbow tight to your side and swing with your entire body...Its really helpful to use all your muscles evenly so as to not isolate the strain to any one area....I do this in the water with that big NEL Thunder especially...or a guy will blow out their elbow quick trying to force it...

I find myself making these adjustments now Mud. Gotta make it work because I don't want to get away from the Minelabs. I didn't mention earlier that I did buy a Minelab Pro Swing harness and it felt awkward and restrictive with that rubber cord bouncing around so it sits in the garage.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer suggestions. XP is an option at this time.

Heymirth.... It's interesting you suggest shortening of the shaft. Jam and I were out on a hunt last night and I borrowed his arm pad and he also suggested that I shorten my shaft considerably. For the year that I've been swinging the Safari my shaft was extended way too long thereby causing my arm to carry all the weight of the machine. By making this adjustment my arm was no longer carrying the weight of the machine and I was able to swing (although alternating from one arm to the other) for a couple of hours pain free. Now I have to test this on a 10 hour hunt which is what we normally do.

10hr hunt? No wonder you have tennis elbow. You're single with no kids huh? Deus is your best bet and it's an awesome machine. I really think you should take the time off to property address your tennis elbow. If you don't, you'll have pain no matter what you swing. I haven't detected in 2 weeks, mostly b/c of tennis elbow. (thanks to hunting in suction mud at the beach) Ice it and get a compression sleeve.

XP Deus is incredibly light and easy to swing with both my arthritic shoulders.
I sold the Patriot as soon as I bought it as it was too nose heavy and reminded me ergonomically of the AT Pro.

I see you already have an equinox, is that too heavy? My x terra 705 is pretty darn light also and a very capable machine...

Back
Top Bottom