Iron diamond -4 holes

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
Firstly, thanks for the help, the people on this forum have made some amazing Id's for me in the past and I greatly appreciate it.
I found this iron diamond at the site of an 1800's barn. I know what your thinking, its a wind chime. That problem is that I found it with a bunch of old square nails. Any Ideas?
Secondly, check out those square nails, something isn't right. I heard that machine made square nails were available for most of the 18th century. If you look at the nails you can see that every single one is complete different from the next. That looks more like hand made. This site is definitely not 1700's though. thoughts?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 258
The thing you have to remember is that, at this point in human existence, nearly every building site was something else before it was what we know it to be. The diamond does look like a piece to a windchime and windchime are normally hung over porches. Porches and homes needed to be rebuilt from time and its even possible that the owner of the property preferred to, or had to make their own nails, as most pioneers often did. I always love finding old nails though. They are always a great indicator that there is more to find in the immediate area. Cool find.

Thank you, a slide bolt seems like an option. I posted the nails on a blacksmith forum and they suggested that the nails are machine cut but headed by hand. Perhaps the reason that no two are alike is that the farmer purchased a lot mismatch out dated nails for a discount price back when the barn was build in the last century.

Back
Top Bottom