Looking to buy a Nugget detector for around $5-600

DesertSteve

I just moved out to the Mojave Desert.
There many Gold mines and placer workings that I would like get a metal detector to give them a going over.
I have $5-600 to spend on a detector that would be good for finding nuggets.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

There are quite a few ATGold machines for sale on various forums. They are priced in your budget. I've never used one, but I do use the ATPro, and I'm pleased with it. The ATGold does have all metal which the Pro doesn't and is a bit deeper from what I've read.

I have a Garrett AT Gold and just got myself a Whites Goldmaster GMT. I have only tuned them in my backyard buried in some decomposed granite landscaping with a 1 gram nugget.

So far, the Goldmaster is the winner but these go for $700-$800. I paid about $590 for the AT Gold.

No real problems with the AT Gold and I do like the easy to understand and use controls. I use the All Metal mode with iron sound and auto ground balance. The main difference is the strength of the signal I get from each detector over my nugget buried 4-5" deep. The AT Gold is a bit more 'iffy' about the signal. Maybe I need to spend more time tuning it but so far I just think it is the difference between the 18kHz AT Gold and the 40 kHz GMT.

I plan to head out to the Mojave to a GPAA placer gold claim in a few weeks and will go through the same tuning over desert ground with my nugget before starting to hunt. My son will get one of the detectors and myself the other. He likes the AT Gold so we shall see who finds anything. That is why its called prospecting I guess.

I just moved out to the Mojave Desert.
There many Gold mines and placer workings that I would like get a metal detector to give them a going over.
I have $5-600 to spend on a detector that would be good for finding nuggets.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

You can get a Used GB2 for 500 or less and their high frequency makes them the "Cats Meow" for small gold and nuggets. Coil is waterproof and I use mine in 18' water with no problem.
Marvin

Back
Top Bottom