What Not To Do Immediately After A Find! 1938 Compass

medicchief

Forum Supporter
Long story short (kinda), I was out in my yard learning my new (to me) Explorer SE Pro. I got a good conductive target at 8+ inches. I have already worked my yard over good in the last 9+ years, with my Delta, an AT Pro, Omega 8000 and Nox 800. That said, I thought Alright! My first silver with the Explorer! I dug up the target and it looked like just a pipe cap or something. So I took my Lesche and whacked it to knock the dirt off of it, only to bust what turned out to be the glass front of this old compass! Morale of the story; don't hit your finds with anything trying to make a quick ID.....such a rookie mistake...after over 9 years of detecting!:no:

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Probably sound advice. Cool find, any idea how old ? I see by your signature a life of service, Thank you sir. HH Mark

Probably sound advice. Cool find, any idea how old ? I see by your signature a life of service, Thank you sir. HH Mark

Thanks Mark, it has been an honor and a privilege to serve both my city and country!

We’re watching grandkids for a few hours tonight, so I’ll see if I can do some research when we get home. No telling, I’ve found wheats dated back to 1919 & 1917, on our property.

Long story short (kinda), I was out in my yard learning my new (to me) Explorer SE Pro. I got a good conductive target at 8+ inches. I have already worked my yard over good in the last 9+ years, with my Delta, an AT Pro, Omega 8000 and Nox 800. That said, I thought Alright! My first silver with the Explorer! I dug up the target and it looked like just a pipe cap or something. So I took my Lesche and whacked it to knock the dirt off of it, only to bust what turned out to be the glass front of this old compass! Morale of the story; don't hit your finds with anything trying to make a quick ID.....such a rookie mistake...:no:

LOL We've all done stupid things. Hope you manage to sleep tonight!!

LOL We've all done stupid things. Hope you manage to sleep tonight!!

No kidding, a compass from 1938 and I whack the face of it! It was fully intact as well, although it appears that it was no longer sealed. Yeah, I am trying to make it not sound so bad to myself....lol.

Attachments

• ta_leedawl_bakelite_gr.jpg
    ta_leedawl_bakelite_gr.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
Wow. Cool find. Glass or no glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My property is a relic garden! Found an old bell (4 inch diameter) here as well, that I just got through ID'ing. I've posted it on "help id'ing my finds".....Y'all are making me want to just hang out and detect at home for a while!

Last edited:
I guess, with 2.5 acres, I could host an area relic hunt. I live on Lake Dardanelle and have a bunch of catfish fillets in the freezer too!

I know the feeling. A few years ago I found a 1917 Illinois Co pocket watch. (Posted here). It was in great shape for being in the ground for so long. Heavy rolled gold, crystal intact, almost no corrosion inside and out. Looked better than any pocket watch I've seen dug. First night home I dropped it and the crystal shattered. Survived 100 years in the ground, I have it for a day and break it.

Don't feel bad there Medic.....after 50 plus years of detecting....I still scratch the occasional silver coin!

Back
Top Bottom