At last! A bucket lister

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Warning - text heavy.

Please forgive the photo's - you'll probably get a crick in your neck. I can't get the bloody things to upload in the proper orientation for my life!

Haven't posted anything recently 'cause I haven't found anything worth posting. Anyway, got an invitation from my occasional hunting partner Buelride to do some curbstripping today. Even though he said he hadn't had a lot of success in the area we were hunting, hope springs eternal. Sadly, he was right - we found clad, clad, clad and 1 wheat penny.

We were thinking of going off to another spot when we noticed a young guy out for a smoke at a good looking prospective permission. I approached and asked if we could hunt the front yard, and he said go ahead. Paul was generous and gave me the upper inside part of the yard since I had asked for the permission. Again, nothing but clad and memorial pennies. Then just as it looked like a complete bust I got a great 34-35-36 tone on my Nox. Figured I'd be digging another big jar or can lid, when I cut out the plug.

The coin was embedded in the plug and not visible so I had to remove some dirt. When I first saw the coin, I thought it must be some kind of medallion, but on closer inspection, I could see an Eagle. Paul was talking to a guy about us helping to try recovering a lost ring at his house, so I waited until he was done for the final reveal. You can imagine I was pretty excited.

As he was walking back, I motioned for him to come over and see what I had found. He asked "Is it big?" I said take a look. Didn't really know what I had until I flipped it over and there was an 1871S Seated Liberty half dollar in pretty darned nice condition. Paul was as awed as I was, and was kind with his congratulations.

For those of us here in the Pac NW, this is a pretty rare find! He told me that I don't get to complain about finding nothing for a long time, maybe a whole year. Got to agree with him. Thanks for looking and HH?

Attachments

• 20200212_124657.jpg
    20200212_124657.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 20200212_105109.jpg
    20200212_105109.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 390
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 20200212_141519.jpg
    20200212_141519.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 20200212_141538.jpg
    20200212_141538.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Wow that's amazing! A nice crisp look to it and a old one with an S mint mark.:dingding:

That's a rare find ANYWHERE not just the Pacific NW :laughing: huge congrats! Beautiful
Thank you much. I was shocked when I finally revealed the obverse of the coin.

Huge Congratulations on a amazing recovery.
Thanks.

Wow! That's sweet, Big Congrats!
Appreciate your reply.

And it’s in great shape,mintmark and all..Congrats in that save
Thank you. One of the benefits of living on the West Coast is the preponderance of S mint marks.

Wow that's amazing! A nice crisp look to it and a old one with an S mint mark.:dingding:
Thanks. Just trying to imagine the poor soul that lost it. That would have bought a lot in it's time.

That’s sharp! Could’ve been lost yesterday looking like that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gale I am soooo happy for you! Glad that you found such an amazing bucket lister!

For everyone's info the detail on the coin is phenomenal! I am proud to say that I was with him when he found it. Here are some additional pictures I took when we were back at our cars.

Attachments

• 20200212_124145.jpg
    20200212_124145.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 20200212_124048.jpg
    20200212_124048.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 346
That's a rare find ANYWHERE not just the Pacific NW :laughing: huge congrats! Beautiful
Thank you much. I was shocked when I finally revealed the obverse of the coin.

Thanks.

Appreciate your reply.

Thank you. One of the benefits of living on the West Coast is the preponderance of S mint marks.

Thanks. Just trying to imagine the poor soul that lost it. That would have bought a lot in it's time.
My understanding is they average about $0.15 per hour. That would equal 3.33 hours of work. I am sure that person missed it.

That’s sharp! Could’ve been lost yesterday looking like that lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is amazing, huge congrats !!
Great find , play by play and pictures .Congratulations on a spectacular find.
Thank you all. I'm amazed by this find myself.

Gale I am soooo happy for you! Glad that you found such an amazing bucket lister!

For everyone's info the detail on the coin is phenomenal! I am proud to say that I was with him when he found it. Here are some additional pictures I took when we were back at our cars.
Always a pleasure getting out with you Paul, even on the hunts when we don't find anything. Need to remind folks here that you found a fantastic 1913S Barber dime not too long ago. Still envious of that one.

Wow...she's a beauty!
Thank you.

What an awesome save! Very rare for this area. Congratulations!
Thanks Kevin. Maybe someday we'll work up a joint trip with Paul.

You nailed a nice one. That is in GREAT condition. The detail is phenomenal!

At least a $100 coin. Very nice!

Skippy

That’s one heck of a coin that I would seriously faint if I ever dug one, congrats big time!
Thank you. I was definitely shaky for a while afterwards

Beautiful condition! That's one for the trophy case for sure, congrats on a sweet find!
Appreciate your comment.

You nailed a nice one. That is in GREAT condition. The detail is phenomenal!

At least a $100 coin. Very nice!

Skippy
Thanks Skippy. I was really pleased with the detail also.

Back
Top Bottom