Jan. Report

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Unheard of here I was able to get in 12 hunts in January. Started the year out strong with 10 silver in my first 6 hunts but the last 6 outings have been shinyless except for a sterling crucifix.I got lucky at the coinstar with a Walker and a Rosie. I stumbled into a permission on Thursday when I saw a realtor showing an old vacant house that I had actually thought might have potential a month or so back. She said sure, don't make a mess. I assured her I was very neat and respectful of property. Tax records show a 1917 build. After 2 trips, about 12 hrs. or more, a ton of trash (rental unit for 15yrs. ) less than a buck in clad, and deep coin signals only gave up 5 Wheaties, and my first Chinese cash coins and some other less than perfect signals gave up a lot of relics, a crotal bell and some really cool tokens, a Pittsburgh Press 1915 G W essay contest medallion, and a Pittsburgh Press newsboy pin,(home town pride withstanding, my coolest find of 2020 so far) and anybody who was a paperboy will get it. Sat. I went back to the place next to my promising permission, not a lot ,but early on I dug a nice 35 Buff and 3 Wheaties and a really awesome 50th Anniversary badge. I believe it to be from Pitt university. Been killin' on local history lately. Today I had 2 hrs so I went to the local park, a little less than a buck in clad and one 37 wheatie. Still, getting out in Feb. and the next 2 days in the 50s, I'll take it only I hope the silver skunk hasn't come a knockin'. HH to all that can get out. Mark

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 505
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 452
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 430
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 444
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 427
Very nice finds! That lock plate is a beauty! I found a Walking Liberty the other day but no where near in that good of condition.

Mark, nice going with those 1st month's finds. Nice amount of silvers too but grand prize has to be that grab-n-go Coinstar Walker! It's a beauty too. You are right about the weather, found my second silver of year today a merc at the same school I found my first silver at the other day. I hope this weather stays favorable. HH.

A totally awesome month ! Great finds , report and photo ! Congratulations , well done !

SS Thank you for the kind words. The last couple months all the silver and cool finds have spoiled me, I hope it continues. HH Mark
Very nice finds! That lock plate is a beauty! I found a Walking Liberty the other day but no where near in that good of condition.

Mr. thank you, congrats on your Walker. Although a sweet find I would have rather dug one. In 5 yrs of detecting I have only dug one and that was back when I began. HH Mark

Very cool Mark. Love the badge.....:shock:

Curt, thank you sir. I wish I could get a little more detail off it. But for a relic that's at least 100yrs. old its in pretty good shape. HH Mark

Mark, nice going with those 1st month's finds. Nice amount of silvers too but grand prize has to be that grab-n-go Coinstar Walker! It's a beauty too. You are right about the weather, found my second silver of year today a merc at the same school I found my first silver at the other day. I hope this weather stays favorable. HH.

John, thanks. Glad to see your getting out and hitting shiny. Just looked at the ten day forecast. The ground should stay diggable through the middle of the month anyway. Lovin' it . Yes I agree the Walker was a sweet surprise and I'm headed back to Wally world this morning, hope theres something good in the coinstar. lol HH Mark

My goodness. What a month! Love that Newsboy pin.

TS Thank you. I have become quite spoiled and I hope it continues. When I first wiped the pin all I could see was the word official and I thought I had my first chauffeurs license. (high on my list) But on clean up I was thrilled to see it. Didn't know anything like that existed. Brought back a flood of memories from well over 50 yrs ago, 4:30 on Sun. morning waiting on the Sunday bulldogs. (paper with all the ads ). Breakfast of canned kippersnacks and slim jims while we waited. They were so heavy you walked bent over with a load in your sack. Three of us, and it took 2 trips each and had to be done by 7 to make it to church. Huh ? Memories. Take care Mark

I love all the variety of finds you find. The 50th anniversary and newsboy badges are awesome. You're off to a great start and hope your weather continues to be good.

My goodness Mark, those are some great finds and what a start to 2020! Local history, silvers, buffs, tokens and more. Nice pics too!

You had a pretty great month of January Mark, just getting out as you did. Weather is such a fickled thing and can put a real dapper to this hobby. Hope you can continue this month with even more success. That being send your 2020 has gotten a great start with a 10 count in the first month and from the look of your finds your passion with the old Nickels is still has a very active presence. Congrats my friend on a very stellar start. Trapper

Dang amazing month! :wow:

Really like that news paper boy tag and crotal bell! Great hunting man!

GS Thank you. If I do half as well in Feb. I will be happy. HH Mark

I love all the variety of finds you find. The 50th anniversary and newsboy badges are awesome. You're off to a great start and hope your weather continues to be good.

Jason thanks, I think it'll be hard to top either one of those this year but I won't mind trying. The weather here looks to be mild but a lot of precip for the next 2 weeks. That's ok, you don't have to shovel rain. lol HH Mark

My goodness Mark, those are some great finds and what a start to 2020! Local history, silvers, buffs, tokens and more. Nice pics too!

LS Thank you, yes off to a great start, I hope it continues. Good luck Mark

You had a pretty great month of January Mark, just getting out as you did. Weather is such a fickled thing and can put a real dapper to this hobby. Hope you can continue this month with even more success. That being send your 2020 has gotten a great start with a 10 count in the first month and from the look of your finds your passion with the old Nickels is still has a very active presence. Congrats my friend on a very stellar start. Trapper

Trapper as always, much appreciated. The winter here in the east thus far has been pretty mild. No complaints. I do love digging the old nickels, particularly the Buff. For me they come in at #3 behind a silver coin and an Ihp. Feb. has started out pretty lame so far with only 4 Wheaties and maybe a buck or so in clad but the fact that I was able to get out at all I guess I should be grateful. Take care, Mark

What a great opening month to the year Mark, congrats!

Jeff thank you, looks like things are grinding to a halt here this month. HH Mark

Nice hunts, congrats!

CD Thank you. I see your avatar is a seated coin. # 1 on my most wanted list. Just missed last year with an 1892 Barber. Good luck, Mark

Nice going, that key cover is to die for, I'd find a way to clean that up and "display" it, silver is pretty cool too ;)

Thank you Gale. Thought about putting it in the tumbler. Will definitely be on display. Take care. Mark

Nice digs! Keep it going throughout the year!

Thank you sir. HH Mark

Talk about starting the year out with a heck of a start. You have some really cool finds ! Can I come hunt with you🤣 Great job!

Back
Top Bottom