Last hunt of 2019 a good one.

Silver King

Got the urge to go with a buddy after Christmas for 2 days and do some detecting a couple states south.

As usual it was hit and miss and you would pick up a few coins here and there.

Last site was the best and finally got some great keepers. Found a Park area and started pulling up Barber after Barber. It was nuts! Dug a couple Merc's as well but pulled 2 Barber Dimes and 3 Barber Quarters in about an hours time. My buddy pulled a Barber Half, 2 Barber Quarters and 2 Barber Dimes. Insane!!

Bad weather up north where we live and the weather turning bad where we were cut our trip in half but what a way to end a hunt. Total for us on Silver was 32. Now to pics of my finds for those 2 days.

Got 16 Silver and they were 3 Barber Quarters (1894-S,1898,1908-O), 1 Washington Quarter, 2 Barber Dimes (1899-S,1901), 6 Mercury Dimes and 4 Roosevelt Dimes.

Pulled 3 different Trade Tokens, 3 Older Jefferson Nickels, 2 Injuns and 25 Wheats.

Misc. finds included a Key, Cub Scouts Handkerchief Clasp, a Plain Round Button, a Oshkosh B'gosh Button, Kids Aluminum Love Ring, a Junker Ring, Sterling Silver Lutheran Pendant with some of the Sterling Chain, an Old Heart Locket and a Herff Jones Lion Pin which I haven't found any info on but did find that Herff Jones does make Jewelry for Graduation and other events like Jostens.

That does it for the finds and hope 2020 brings more great finds for us all. Thanks for looking. Best of Luck and HH in 2020 everyone! Silver King.

Attachments

• Dirty Silver.jpg
    Dirty Silver.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Cleaned Silver.jpg
    Cleaned Silver.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Other Coins.jpg
    Other Coins.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Misc..jpg
    Misc..jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 209
You found a Virgin park in this day and age!? Amazing hunt! Congrats to you.

UH....That is an AMAZING park you found. Crazy that, that much silver (and Barbers to boot) were still in the ground. What an epic location! CONGRATS!

Amazing. 16 silver and 25 wheats is a crazy ratio. Do you know how many wheats your buddy dug for his 16 silvers?

Even if I was trying to skip pennies, the deeper wheats that have been in my soil as long as silver give solid numbers in the silver range and sound close enough to a silver dime that I have to dig them.

Last edited:
Congratulations on an outstanding hunt you and your buddy had there. That many silvers is a rare thing these days especially from a park.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Re: GroundSweeper

Dang good hunting! Barberville!

Congrats!

Thanks...it was crazy fun knowing that the next signal was another Barber coin. One fun thing about this spot.....we hardly covered it and there is a lot of area we haven't tried yet. Can you say "Return Trip"! Happy Hunting!

Re: Buellride

UH....That is an AMAZING park you found. Crazy that, that much silver (and Barbers to boot) were still in the ground. What an epic location! CONGRATS!

Yes...it sure was a surprise in running into that site and finding that many Barbers and big ones at that. I bet we only touched maybe 10% of the park so who knows what else is still there. Best of Luck to you in 2020 Buellride.

Re: ToySoldier

Amazing. 16 silver and 25 wheats is a crazy ratio. Do you know how many wheats your buddy dug for his 16 silvers?

Even if I was trying to skip pennies, the deeper wheats that have been in my soil as long as silver give solid numbers in the silver range and sound close enough to a silver dime that I have to dig them.

Hey there ToySoldier. Was a blast those two days down where we were. He only dug 13 Wheats so I am unsure if he was going for more of the higher readings or not. All I know is that if we hunted 2 more days like we planned we would have most likely almost doubled our finds. I think a return trip will be in our agenda for sometime in 2020. Thanks for the reply and HH! P.S. You can't skip deep Penny readings...that's when you skip worn Barber & Seated. Besides...who wants to pass up a Key Date Penny?....not me. Dig it all I say! Thanks for the comment and HH in 2020.

WOW, You don't post often but when you do its killer. What a haul, congrats on some superb hunting and a great variety of finds. HH Mark

Hey there ToySoldier. Was a blast those two days down where we were. He only dug 13 Wheats so I am unsure if he was going for more of the higher readings or not. All I know is that if we hunted 2 more days like we planned we would have most likely almost doubled our finds. I think a return trip will be in our agenda for sometime in 2020. Thanks for the reply and HH! P.S. You can't skip deep Penny readings...that's when you skip worn Barber & Seated. Besides...who wants to pass up a Key Date Penny?....not me. Dig it all I say! Thanks for the comment and HH in 2020.

You must have found the high roller's picnic area.

Heck no, I don't skip the wheats. I have a wheat penny book I started this year that I'm trying to complete!

..... Found a Park area and started pulling up Barber after Barber. It was nuts!...

Those types of quotes, and the type pictures you share, are what this hobby is all about ! If I close my eyes and think about it now, I can almost smell the earth, and hear the classic 4-star detector tones in my mind. Thanx for taking us along !

Re: Tom_in_CA

Those types of quotes, and the type pictures you share, are what this hobby is all about ! If I close my eyes and think about it now, I can almost smell the earth, and hear the classic 4-star detector tones in my mind. Thanx for taking us along !

And thank you for the kind message Tom. It isn't easy to go out and make killer finds like this and that is exactly what this hobby is all about. Hoping to find an area that yields old coins and what not. It's too bad today's currency is SO BORING to look at. The oldies are a blast to find and I hope it continues in 2020. Best of Luck to you in the New Year Tom.

Re: ToySoldier

You must have found the high roller's picnic area.

Something was going on for sure and it was really odd why there was more of the bigger Barber stuff than anything else for Silver. Wish I had a Centennial Book for that town to see if there is any info on that spot. Maybe long gone Horse Track? Who knows but a return trip is in the 2020 calendar for sure. Thanks for the reply and HH in 2020 ToySoldier.

Re: Markinswpa

WOW, You don't post often but when you do its killer. What a haul, congrats on some superb hunting and a great variety of finds. HH Mark

Hey there Mark. Could you imagine what another 2 days would have looked like? Shortened trip due to weather but I think I got enough don't you? Happy New Years to you and Best of Luck in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom