Looking for my first hunting spot.

Bajanick

Elite Member
Back in 1990, I saw a Whites ad in a magazine I had picked up at the local prospecting store, and I had to get a metal detector. If I remember it was a model 4900 no meter or visual indicators at all.

Back then I rode the bus with my detector in my backpack to a large park with lots of trees and found a kinda of hidden spot where nobody could see me.
My first hunt was amazing, I found a merc, several silver rosies, a solid silver thimble in excellent shape and some other items, unfortunately they have all been lost to time. Then of course reality struck with my next few hunts and I realized that my first hunt was a fluke, :twisted:

I recently moved to just within a mile of that same spot. So Christmas morning I decided to try and find it again, I drove around and parked inside the park. Looking around I could not locate the same spot, I think it might be the back yard of a house now. I ended up detecting a bit and looking around. I did not find anything but had a good time.

I did manage to get a Buffalo about 8" deep in the grass strip in front of a remodel across the street from the park. Its in bad shape but its something.

Thanks.

:neo:

Congrats on the Buffalo those are always a good find . It is sad to see spots become inaccessible or non existent .There's a lot of that going on where I'm at . Have a Happy New Year and hopefully you'll find some great new opportunities . I'm about to leave and hit one of my beat to death spots with a fresh attitude and a small coil . You just never know .

Great story, thanks for sharing.
This off-season (you know, in the Midwest, it gets really cold and we have to hang up our detectors for about 4 months) I am going to review every site I ever found a silver and make notes so I can re-visit some of them with my new Nox.
Yeah, I have been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to save every silver I ever found in a flip with the date and location:D

Back in 1990, I saw a Whites ad in a magazine I had picked up at the local prospecting store, and I had to get a metal detector. If I remember it was a model 4900 no meter or visual indicators at all.

Back then I rode the bus with my detector in my backpack to a large park with lots of trees and found a kinda of hidden spot where nobody could see me.
My first hunt was amazing, I found a merc, several silver rosies, a solid silver thimble in excellent shape and some other items, unfortunately they have all been lost to time. Then of course reality struck with my next few hunts and I realized that my first hunt was a fluke, :twisted:

I recently moved to just within a mile of that same spot. So Christmas morning I decided to try and find it again, I drove around and parked inside the park. Looking around I could not locate the same spot, I think it might be the back yard of a house now. I ended up detecting a bit and looking around. I did not find anything but had a good time.

I did manage to get a Buffalo about 8" deep in the grass strip in front of a remodel across the street from the park. Its in bad shape but its something.

Thanks.

:neo:

I went back to my old high school no longer used as a school but now a administrator building by the school district. Building was built in the 1930s no air conditioning when I went there. Thought I would check the old track and football field out back thinking of the concession stands and bleachers . The track was gone and a industrial park was there ,now all paved over. Did find a few more modern clad there around the building , and a number of pencils but nothing very good.

Nice hunt! It's great that you had a fun time & that you were able to top it off with a neat find. :waytogo:

Yeah, I have been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to save every silver I ever found in a flip with the date and location
Matt, you sound a little like me when it comes to documenting coins. I like to denote who/where the coin came from, when I got it, etc. (So, there are some in there that say "from Matmit." :grin:)

Great story, thanks for sharing.
This off-season (you know, in the Midwest, it gets really cold and we have to hang up our detectors for about 4 months) I am going to review every site I ever found a silver and make notes so I can re-visit some of them with my new Nox.
Yeah, I have been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to save every silver I ever found in a flip with the date and location:D
Yea, I have been thinking the same thing with my Nox (600) as well.
Thanks matmit
I went back to my old high school no longer used as a school but now a administrator building by the school district. Building was built in the 1930s no air conditioning when I went there. Thought I would check the old track and football field out back thinking of the concession stands and bleachers . The track was gone and a industrial park was there ,now all paved over. Did find a few more modern clad there around the building , and a number of pencils but nothing very good.
Yea, Theres lots of areas around LA, that are being remodeled and new sidewalks are being put in where there were just dirt paths.
Thanks david

I wonder if that is one of the many pounded parks here in SoCal.
Probably, I only went on Christmas morning so no park personnell were there, Otherwise I am sure they would immediatley ask me to leave.
Thanks Jam
Nice hunt! It's great that you had a fun time & that you were able to top it off with a neat find. :waytogo:

Matt, you sound a little like me when it comes to documenting coins. I like to denote who/where the coin came from, when I got it, etc. (So, there are some in there that say "from Matmit." :grin:)
Thanks Princess.

Sometimes you get lucky and don't realize it until later. I like finding old nickels just about as much as I do silver coins. Big Congrats on the buffalo nickel.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom