The New DeepTech Vista X Metal Detector

Sven

Elite Member
Several posts from several hunts.
=========================
Some errands to run this morning, early afternoon weather called for powerful rain and thunderstorm, wind warning. It arrived shortly after we arrived back home.
Lots of water on the ground everywhere.......by 6PM decided to do some extensive Air Testing, to better understand the detector and how it will function. Glad I did!!!!

These favored settings will be what I will start with at my first hunt, hopefully tomorrow.
==================================================================================================================

Overall the Vista X favored depth wise these conductors Lead, Gold, Brass, Copper over Silver.

These were used for testing.
Gold rings, nuggets, coin.
Silver coins—sterling/coin silver, silver rings, silver charms, 3” sterling silver dish
US, Canadian, Australian, European and middle east coinage in various metal compositions and sizes.
Brass bullet casings, lead musketballs, lead seals, copper dog tag

Trash—wrought iron nails large and small, canslaw, foil, bottle caps, various pull tabs, other steel junk and bolts-screws, juice bottle liners, pencil eraser casings, etc.

After about 3 hours, came up with settings that favored my hunting style. A good learning experience finding out how the Vista X can be set up and what happens at different settings.
I feel better prepared when I go out for my first hunt rather than going blind as I would have today. Due to some errands and rain this afternoon todays hunt was postponed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found these settings to be a good gold jewelry hunting and overall coin hunting program.

2 Tone Gives a mixed high low tone in Disc 1, high tone in Alt 2 –--on small thin gold rings and foil. Also on many of the modern Canadian clad coins lying flat mixed tone, if on edge high tone on Alt 2.

Disc 1----- set at 30.3
Alt Disc----set at 25.6

Iron Volume ---set at 50.0 (max)

Headphone/speaker volume--- set at 30.0, headphone volume then controled by headphones

Threshold----set at 30.1
Gain-----------set at 50.0(max)

Also, seems to get a bit better depth with
Threshold ---- set at 35.8
Gain------------set at 34.9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground balancing to a plastic penny tube full of black magnetic sand. Found the Vista X sees high conductors right thru it when placed on the vial—gold rings, coins. No appreciative loss of air test depth. No downgrading of higher conductors towards the iron range or low tone. Remains high tone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keeping all the above settings except for Threshold and Gain

Threshold----set at 50.0 (max)
Gain---------- set at 0 (min)

Runs with somewhat smooth stable low volume background noise. Saturated audio to about 6” on a gold ring, then modulated to about 12”. Seems to provide about a 2” boost in depth.

Shallow Hunting to about 6-8” on a gold ring
Threshold----set at 0 (min)
===================================
Gain------------set at 50.0 (max)

Shallow hunting to about 6” on a gold ring, detector runs totally quiet
Threshold---set at 25
Gain----------set at 25

Attachments

• vista x.jpg
    vista x.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 920
  • VX1.jpg
    VX1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,102
First Canadian Vista X Hunt
June 2, 2019

Today would be my first hunt with the Vista X, which was originally planed for Saturday, the day before.
Due to stormy weather and errands that had to be done, never got the chance to get out and detect.
Took advantage of getting to know the X by bench testing and worked out some trial settings to use, the
night before. Bench testing is not real world testing and came across something I posted previously in
error. On the bench, in the high rise we live the Iron Volume control was giving me 3 options depending
upon the setting. Near max—two tone volume reduction at about 3⁄4, then changing to single tone then
near min setting, silent operation. It did not change to single tone, during the actual hunt, you can still hear
2 tones but, the low iron tone is very faint until the setting is dropped to min. Then you hear silence or a
fast tic, burp or whatever you would like to call it.

Early this morning at around 5am, awoke without the alarm clock. Still looked pretty nasty out, howling
wind and 50 F degree temperature. Looked iffy, maybe another rain period. By 8am, didn’t look much
better. Took the chance it would clear up as the weatherman predicted and headed out the door, gear in
tow.

Headed for a huge schoolyard in back of a middle school, popular spot for many to still hunt for treasures.
My wife at one point found a half dime there and another club member found a huge gold chain there.
When I arrived, was hoping it would not be a swamp. Usually this place is dry and the ground is pretty
tough to dig. Scouted out the place and found that some sections were very damp and other spots with
water on the surface. Hunted the dry islands in that field.

Turned on the Vista X, then proceeded to ground balance to the soil. Piece of cake took about 30
seconds. This place is going to be a real good test ground, no doubt would encounter lots of trash.
Doesn’t matter, planned on digging just about every signal to learn the audio sounds of good and bad
targets. Was not disappointed, the trash giving off a low tone. Started off great, the first target, within the
first 5 minutes, I dug was a nickel at 6”. Then started digging, lots of canslaw of all shapes and sizes, foil,
pulltabs, parts of pulltabs, tiny wire, small nails, some small iron pieces. In between those targets, were
coins. Mostly Canadian clad coins, a few US coins that came from the 6” deep range. Remember the first
penny at 7” deep. Was getting tired digging small foil at 6-7” in hopes of finding some gold, found some
gold but, it was gold foil. After 3 hours of detecting, packed up and drove to another schoolyard, I did
pretty good at last year.

The settings I was starting off with were as follows:
Disc 1----- set at 30.3
Alt Disc----set at 25.6
Iron volume –-set at 45
Threshold---set at 45
Gain--- set at 45

I set my disc up so a good target in Disc 1 would give a high tone, Alt Disc was set lower. How this would
work is when hunting in Disc 1 mode if you got a low tone it would be at the point Canadian clad would
give hopefully a mixed tone, which is also the range of acceptance of a women's thin 10kt gold ring. Alt
Disc was set at the point where foil gives off a high tone, small nails and such gives off a low tone. This
would give a high tone on smaller gold and coins falling in that range. So when a high tone target was
found in Disc 1, time to dig. If a low tone target was found, switch to Alt Disc. If again it was a low tone,
don’t dig, it would be trash, iron. Now if the target gave off a high tone, worth investigating, it could be gold
or another desirable conductor taking home. This makes for a good alternative to thumbing a single disc
control trying to ID a target. With the two disc controls, you can pretty well customize the way you want to
use discrimination.With a DD coil there is always a concern how well you able to pinpoint. Some detector brands, that use DD coils pinpoint better than others. Deeptech with the Vista X, did a super job building the 9x11 search
coil. Pinpoints like a charm, the detectors recovery re-tune speed is just right for effortless pinpointing. For
the most part, 3” diameter plug holes are possible. Did have my electronic pinpointer handy at all times to
help locate the deeper targets in the hole or those sideways targets located closer to the sides of the
holes. Interference between the pinpointer and Vista X was zero unless it was in detection range of the
X’s search coil. Didn’t have to move the coil off to the side, when setting the X down etc.

Here’s a carry over trick I used when detecting with a Tesoro with a true all metal based threshold mode. It
helps classify and Id a target. When locating a target while hunting in disc mode, I would switch to all
metal to see if the target audio volume remained the same, grew louder or quieter. Since the Vista X has
on e 3 position toggle: All Metal/ Disc 1/ Alt Disc, fell back into my old habit. Keep in mind, if I recall,
DeepTechs have similar depth while hunting in All Metal or Disc mode. Since AM mode is just a single
tone mode, might as well run in Disc mode which is two tone. AM mode came in handy to check a target
and to make pinpointing easier. AM mode uses the high tone for all targets. High tones are easy to
pinpoint. Get a mixed tone in Disc mode, pinpointing is just a tad wishy washie. Just pull back the toggle
switch to AM mode, the single tone is tight and crisp for precise pinpointing.

Made it to the second schoolyard, parked, had a snack and a drink, while deciding which portion of the
field to hunt. Decided to start on the left half, then headed off to that area. Once again ground balanced
the Vista X, kept my settings the same as before. This school is still pretty junky, not as bad as the first
one. More coins at this school along with similar junk as the last.......Silver coins at this school are pretty
well gone, found by others years ago. It does give up some silver jewelry now and then. Today was a
“then day”, a small 9.25 Sterling earring reflected sunlight off its shiney surface when it just popped out of
the hole. A small silver religious medallion was also dug, haven’t looked at it closely yet, might be just
silver plated. Overall this field was a better place today.

Now and then, experimented with different settings to see how the X would react. One change was
moving the Disc settings back a few points. This helped in keying in on those pesky Canadian clad dimes,
which I started finding with more accuracy. Played around with Gain set at 0 and Threshold at Max, could
be useful when coins and other similar sized treasure are shallow to about 5”. Ran those setting maxed
out to full, just a tad chattery, not annoying and deeper, too.

To sum it up, a great hunt, good learning experience, this detector goes deep and is easy to set up and
use. An superb detector for anyone who has been using a beep and dig type machine. Or for some one
who wants to try an alternative type detector than one of the many screened target ID machine with all the
fancy bells and whistles.
==================================================================
Some detectorists had some questions about the Vista X, that I will answer that are of my opinion.

Cosmetics, mechanically: Build quality is superb, parts fit nicely. Long middle shaft and long lower rod
than usually found, extending the search coil out for a longer reach for tall people is not a problem. I am
6’1” and the lower rod fully inserted into the middle tube extends the coil out in from of my feet at 8”.

Control layout: Easy to manipulate. The control pots have a tighter rotational feel than many detectors.
Will be very hard to knock out of adjustment settings.

Toggle switches for either left or right handed use.

Weight and balance: With the 9x11 search coil makes it just a bit coil heavy. Should balance perfect when
DeepTech produces the 7” coil for the Vista X. Or even with the 5” coil. When the detector is et down on
the ground, it does not have a tendency to fall over due to the battery compartment weight and the squared
off ends of the search coil.On/Off Switch: It’s in the back, some concern that it may be easily turned off by accident climbing, detecting thru brush areas. Maybe if you bump into something moving backwards. I accidentally turned the detector on when putting it into the cars truck, the switch bumped the side well bump.
Speaker position: It is under the battery compartment, like some other brands. Could moisture or dirt get
into the speaker grill cut outs? Always possible in that position when setting the detector down in wet,
dirty, muddy areas. Today ran into that situation. Before I left home I put a small plastic patch cover over
the speaker grill. Garrett used to supply little clear plastic covers to place over the speaker grills on their
detectors. And they were on top of the control box. DeepTech uses speakers with plastic mylar cones
unlike the paper grills that were used by other manufacturers which are somewhat water resistant.

Target signal clarity, intensity, and width: The Vista X audio is crisp and clear. Coin and small target width
is tight, about the width of the search coils center support. Trash iron targets will give a wider report
according to the type, size of junk and composition. Target report intensity will increase, decrease
depending upon size and depth.

Squared off search coil ends: Doesn’t seem to have any unusual effects. Overall the coil acts more like a
round DD coil than an elliptical one.

Threshold audio: Not super smooth like on older VLF machines like many in the USA are used to.

Headphone jack: on the back of the of the battery box. A good spot for it, since it allows the headphone
cord to naturally come up the side of your body under your armpit. Less chance of being entangled in the
brush. Doesn’t hamper the ability to place the detector off to the side when setting in on the ground and
doesn’t stretch the headphone cord pulling the headphones off your head.

S-Handle and middle and lower rods: s-handle is still aluminum, middle and lower rods are of lightweight
carbon fiber. A set of spring clips are sent with the X. So they can be inserted in the tapered tube on the s-
handle and on the lower rod. This will now allow you to use a DeepTech aluminum middle shaft if you ever
desired that option. The camlocks sure do beat twist and lock couplers.

Battery compartment: No battery door hinges to break, snap off from weakening caused by opening and
closing. An easy to twist to open and close cover.

Detection performance: It is deep, if I need to compare it to another detector with similar size coil, the
Tesoro Tejon/ Vaquro and the Nokta Anfibio-Multi metered machine. The Vista X and the Anfibio-Multi are
my two current machines to cover my meter less knobs and switches machine and metered target ID
machine needs. Just waiting on the smaller DeepTech coils.

EMI: None encountered while detecting the two school yards.

Discrimination: Excellent range from accepting tiny iron to rejecting zincs, more in line what
USA/Canadian detectorists prefer. Good for relic hunters and for those that hunt coins and jewelry.

Canadian coins: For those detectorists in Canada wondering how it does detecting Canadian clad coins.
Not a problem finding them. The Vista X gets them just as Tesoro detectors love them.

Attachments

• vist x hunt700.jpg
    vist x hunt700.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 914
This morning I went into another room with less EMI and my air tests results were more like Keith's. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Southern is the USA tester and already has put some hunting time in.... here's his results.

50 gain and threshold 40 all potentiometers go zero to 50..disc point is where it just drops out

AIRTEST DEPTH
Nickle 14.5"
Indian Head 13"
Z Penny 13"
Copper Penny 12.5"
Clad Dime 12.25"
Silver Dime 12.25"
Silver Quarter 14"
Half Dollar 15.25"
Silver Dollar 16.5"
.58 Cal. 3 Ringer 13.5
C.S.A. Rectangle 23"
U.S. Oval 25"
Breast Plate 23"

DISC POINTS WHERE JUST GONE

Nickle 34
Indian Head 38.5
Z Penny 39
Copper Penny 43
Clad Dime 44.5
Silver Dime 45
Silver Quarter 46
Half Dollar 48
Silver Dollar 50 still solid
Coke Can flat 45
Square tab 34

The X has very good Disc actually a sweet disc its gone when its gone on the dial just today I set my second disc on 38.5 to low/high tone a .58 caliber three ringer and hunted in a trashy area and picked some deep 3 ringers out by checking on second disc and if the tone was flip flopping I almost KNEW it was a bullet!!

You can set the 2nd disc to break up (flip flop from low to high tone) on a target which I like for exactness or silence the target or accept etc..

If you dont want to hear a low tone for disc'ed items just turn the iron volume to zero.then its a single tone with full disc on either first or second disc.

You can use both disc to create a notch window if you like to your exact requirements say nickles.Set first disc right below nickle and second disc right above or on edge of breaking then you have a user defined notch to check a target with .

You push trigger forward to use second disc and pull for a all metal no tone accept all mode like a pinpoint.theres 2 triggers for either right or left hand operation.

Machine is on 12 Volts with Drop in battery holder like say a Infinium with quarter turn door.

The Gain control is the receive gain.A amplifier for the returned signal and can be tweaked for hot ground or more benign ground

The Threshold is the depth/target size control and decides how weak a signal you can hear the lower you set it the more signal it takes to break though the higher you set it up to a point of say 45 the less signal it takes to over come it.even in deep woods EMI free areas you will overdrive it into instability as a sizzling chatter..Im running it right on edge of sizzle for best depth and even smallest of targets.

The I've dug no big iron with the X since running it now about 25 hours.Even in my big iron sites.I hear it but know its iron by the way the tones sound even n just nail reject.of 20.And picked brass out of the sites of all shapes and sizes.

Crown caps also sound ratty.

The knobs are very tight and you can set them and wont bump them out of tuning..One thing to show the exactness of the disc is I can cancel a flattened beer can and still hit a Quarter Clean

Keith

Fishing with the Vista X

Went dirt fishing instead of river fishing this morning. Met up with some horse flies at the hunt field. Pesky things, always get in your way......Thank goodness for Miss Extreme Wind, she came to visit and kept those buggers in flight. With only a few crash landings and few hand swats to send them back on their way.

Took the DeepTech Vista X to hunt with. Getting the hang of it, have a good sense now what junk targets sound like. This place was full of it, dug a fare amount to reinforce into my brain what the tell tale signs are. Some tries to fool you, giving off a high tone. The give away is when pinpointing, as you pull the coil backwards over it, just before the target sound goes quiet, you get a fast spit of a low tone.

The Vista X does indeed like Canadian clad coins. Played with the Disc settings just a bit to tweek them. Main Disc at 30.0 and Alt Disc 25.5, seems to be just about right not to miss the dimes and nickels. After 5 hours of up and downs, came away with just about $10.00 in change and one Sterling Silver ring. Posting three pictures, I know everyone likes seeing trash.

I sure could have used a smaller coil than the stock 9x11 today to get in between the trash.....

Attachments

• vistax finds.jpg
    vistax finds.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 868
  • vista ring.jpg
    vista ring.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 873
  • vista trash1.jpg
    vista trash1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 887
I made up a pdf. document regarding an alternative way of using the two disc. controls and setting up the tones. It works excellent and in away can consider the discs working in tandem giving you a third tone, without actually having a third tone.

The file is too large to post here so I will have to put it on my website for downloading.

Pretty capable detector for a beep and dig..............

Another trash shot.
To really learn a detector, you need to dig trash in the beginning.

Attachments

• vista2 k.jpg
    vista2 k.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 904
Back
Top Bottom