• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Gold Dust, Silver Coins & Crystallizing Petrified Wood!

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

My buddy and I headed out to a place we called "Lock Lake".....a busy place it was in the early 1900's. We hunted the water, the beach and surrounding woods. Soooooo lucky to have record warm breaking temperatures, after a week of snow and rain.

Here's the finds for the day. Most items were found in the woods at about 5-8 inches.

oct19c.jpg

We did manage to get 5 silver coins. The Pulse induction detectors were were pulling items such as bobby pins and rusted bits of iron at depths of up to 14 inches. I did manage to get one coin out of the water, a 1979 clad quarter at around 8 inches. Lock lake has been hunted hard for the past 25 years, and the water is very eutrophic, to the point where nobody would even think of swimming in there today.

And, got my "best day" prospecting the other day - North Saskatchewan River on Thursday! I have been taking time off from work due to the fact that the river is so low......opening prime gravel bars for gold.

And, as usual, I got some petrified wood. What was unusual, was the amount of crystallization transforming on some of the specimens. Just beautiful!

Last edited:
That’s a killer hunt with some awesome finds, I grew up in the woods around here and never found petrified wood lol, kinda makes me jealous a bit. That’s not even mentioning the gold. I haven’t found any this year, kinda disappointing.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Some nice finds, as usual! :yes:

How did you create that picture of the six coins? What sort of program do you use to make that? I'd like to give that a go.

Back
Top Bottom