• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My Nox fond a half dime.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I have been out four or five times with the nox and have only found Indian Head pennies. So I have named my nox penny.:laughing:

I have been going over areas where I have found tokens seated quarters and dimes with the ace 400 in hopes that the nox would find what had been missed. This had me stumped I was unable to find anything at this time.

Today I tried a brand new spot and manage to find a1853 half dime with holes. What a pleasant surprise to find such a tiny coin.

Cannot tell you much about depth the farmer had just been through there and the dirt was soft. When I sunk the shovel into the Sandy dirt it was in the pile. I do remember it ringing up as a 21.

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_184902.jpg
    IMG_20181016_184902.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_20181016_203422.jpg
    IMG_20181016_203422.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_20181016_203627.jpg
    IMG_20181016_203627.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_20181016_204813.jpg
    IMG_20181016_204813.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 405
Fantastic find, Dan! See, all you really needed was to get out of that junky field of mine :laughing: Sorry those couple hours turned out to be a bit of a bust, but it looks like your next stop more than made up for it! That half-dime is quite cool - and a sure sign you’re getting the hang of the new equipment :cool:

Fantastic find, Dan! See, all you really needed was to get out of that junky field of mine :laughing: Sorry those couple hours turned out to be a bit of a bust, but it looks like your next stop more than made up for it! That half-dime is quite cool - and a sure sign you’re getting the hang of the new equipment :cool:

Once again thank you for allowing me to tag along. It is never a bust when you're doing something you enjoy. And you know as well as I do your field has turned up some nice finds.

You found the legendary "headless half dime" ! :lol: Awesome find, congrats to you and Penny!

The Headless half dime Will match the Headless Horseman on a headless horse that I found last week. It must be Halloween.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_134010.jpg
    IMG_20181011_134010.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 332
A half dime is a great find! With those holes I bet it was used as a button? Or really stitched into some kid's britches so he wouldn't lose it...

I like it, makes one wonder the story behind the three holes. Cant say I ever seen a 3 holed coin, but it sure makes ones imagination run, I got to do some research on that, haha.
After some thought, holes to far out for button and why three for button, dont think need three for sewing into clothes
hem either, but could be.
I'm more inclined it be a piece of jewelry, with others pieces coming off the side and top, but doubt I'm right, haha! there is one in this picture here looks holed out like yours and is called jewelry.
3 holed.jpg

Last edited:
I like it, makes one wonder the story behind the three holes. Cant say I ever seen a 3 holed coin, but it sure makes ones imagination run, I got to do some research on that, haha.
After some thought, holes to far out for button and why three for button, dont think need three for sewing into clothes
hem either, but could be.
I'm more inclined it be a piece of jewelry, with others pieces coming off the side and top, but doubt I'm right, haha! there is one in this picture here looks holed out like yours and is called jewelry.
View attachment 426723

Yes three holes is kind of odd. The thought of it being jewelry good idea. This was found in a ghost town here in northwest Ohio it existed from 1860 to 1902 the buildings were torn down shortly after the town ceased to exist. Oil dried up and so did the town.

Back
Top Bottom