Edison Phonograph Part. How old?

GabbityGabby

Elite Member
So today I was out with the AT Pro for the second time when I got a good signal (80s I think) about 6" down. I was disappointed because I figured the ground would be too frozen to get down that deep, but decided to try anyway. I saw something that looked like the edge of a ring but too large for that, more like the edge of a jar lid. As I uncovered more of it, it started to look more and more like a big piece of metal from who knows what. (See pictures below). However, when I rubbed the dirt off, my excitement returned. For there, on the outside of the part, was inscribed "For use only on Edison phonographs." (My camera can't show the lettering good enough or I would have a picture of that). Does anyone have any idea how old it might be? I know Edison invented the phonograph in 1877 and that these phonographs started appearing in people's homes in the early 1900s. Is there any way to figure out how old my part is?

Thanks for looking, any info on this part would be helpful. :grin: Does it have any collector value? BTW, this was found near a school built in the 1960s. Nowhere where you would expect to find this kind of thing.

Attachments

• DSCN4115.jpg
    DSCN4115.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN4116.jpg
    DSCN4116.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 208
Okay, I did a little digging (metaphorically) and I think the piece I found is the piece that held the cylinder on the phonograph (circled in picture). The phonograph in the picture is from 1899. Is there any way to know how old my piece is?

Attachments

• EdisonPhonograph[1].jpg
    EdisonPhonograph[1].jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 202
that is one cool find! i'll be interested to hear what others say. i'm sorry i cant help, but a sweet find nonetheless!

Wow nice find. I did a lot of antiques selling on eBay and have tons of price guides and research books let me check to see if anything like that shows up. May not have just that single piece but maybe I can put you on the right path to get an age. I have a complete working victrola and its cool to get your hands on that kind of stuff. Really nice find, give me a little bit to research this.

Ok what little I could pull up is that the last production year that Edison used a "cylinder" recording format machine that this would be on is 1929. Not saying it's not older than that but that's as young as it can be. Still a cool find, worth cleaning up and showing off

Far as value goes I did own a few Edisons 10 some years ago and found they had a lesser value then age would have me believe, it seems there were so many made but I did end up getting 200-400 a unit.
They are somewhat like the old sewing machines, they are beautiful and a work of art but mediocre value.
As a part if it cleans up well I would guess 20-30 bucks on an auction.
Congrats on the find.

I found this last year, it's the needle housing for a Victrola. Between us maybe we can find the other parts and Frankenstein a vintage record player together! :yes:

picture.php

Ok what little I could pull up is that the last production year that Edison used a "cylinder" recording format machine that this would be on is 1929. Not saying it's not older than that but that's as young as it can be. Still a cool find, worth cleaning up and showing off

Thanks for the info, if you have any ideas on the best way to clean/polish it that would be nice. Not sure exactly what metal it's made out of, the Internet said possibly pot metal?

Evaporust works really well on rust, pricy though, molasses or cocacola would probably clean it if you wait a week or two..

Thanks for the info, if you have any ideas on the best way to clean/polish it that would be nice. Not sure exactly what metal it's made out of, the Internet said possibly pot metal?

If it's pot metal, the end result with cleaning will probably be a dull gray metallic tone, and probably won't have much if any sheen to it. They made a lot of things with pot metal back in the early to mid 1900s, including jewelry. They normally plated the pot metal with rhodium or chrome to make it pretty. It's my understanding that pot metal was whatever they could toss in, scraps of this & that so it may contain just about any mixture.

Back
Top Bottom