• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best Detector for Lost Class Ring

rmv4285

Hello. I have not yet begun shopping for a detector and won't until I get some solid input from those of you with experience - please.

I lost a high school class ring nearly 40 years ago. I threw it in anger after a break up (come on guys, I was a goofy teenager - and stupid) ... anyway, I immediately went looking for it knowing nearly exactly where it landed. Never found it.

Location: Southeastern Ohio. Fairly well-drained soil with average to heavy clay content.

The location of the ring itself is beside a gravel road or near the edge that seldom, if ever, is graded and it was far enough off the side of the road that other than sinking into the soft soil, should not have moved much in any direction (hopefully). However, it may be quite deep now since people have parked vehicles in that area off and on for years.

In your opinion, what is the best option for me to find this ring? Please toss out any questions you have that may help me clarify the situation more.

Thank you all in advance for your time,

Well I am partial to my X-terra 305, its a little pricier than the average entry level detector but I love it. I owned a garrett ace 250 before this, and it was fine, but the difference between the two is huge. The 305 has much better iron discrimination, manual ground balance, vdi display, etc. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Good luck finding your ring!

Well is it silver or gold most detector would come in on the low numbers for gold15-27, high numbers for silver 86-95 the mxt pro will hit gold in the pull tab range around 20- 23 or higher silver 85 up to 94 just go all metal mode dig every thing. mxt pro is a little steep at $1.000 new

If you are going to make this a regular hobby buy a nice detector like the Garrett AT pro. If you are just going to find the ring then park the detector in the closet go to radio shack or harbor freight and get a cheap one.

I have found 3 gold class rings so far.
One was with a $450 Vaquero.
One was with a $200 Fisher F2.
One was with a $150 Tesoro Compadre.

The lost my stuff guys can help you out, but if you want to do it yourself just about any decent detector should work.
The 3 I found all were large men's rings and came in at lower zinc.
A little smaller type might come in at tabs...maybe nickel.

Is the property that you threw the ring onto private? While there is a certain distance off the road that utility companies etc have access to it is more then likely private property. I would find out who owns the ground and make sure they are going to let you metal detect there. The trick is that depending on who owns the land will dictate how much info you want to give up. Some people would love to hear about where you lost your class ring, just to deny you permission and try to find it themselves. Remember, even out along some dirt county road, the land is owned by somebody.

The big problem is you better hope no one else has already found it. You would be very surprised at who all metal detects.

I would consider the Garrett Ace 350. Its relatively inexpensive, has a pin-point feature and comes stock with a large DD coil. You may want to consider get a hand-held pin-pointer to help you. Let us know how you are making out with this process and of course ask us more questions. Good luck. Matt

Well is it silver or gold most detector would come in on the low numbers for gold15-27, high numbers for silver 86-95 the mxt pro will hit gold in the pull tab range around 20- 23 or higher silver 85 up to 94 just go all metal mode dig every thing. mxt pro is a little steep at $1.000 new
Hello and thank you for the reply. I lost my password and didn't get back on for awhile so for the delay in responding to your assistance.

The ring is 10 carat gold.

Thank you

if you don't plan on staying with the hobby after finding the ring i'd buy a compadre for under 200 bucks and then just dig every signal, if ya do find the ring you can easily sell the machine at a small loss

Back
Top Bottom