Without using a metal detector....

I've dug into or torn apart old sofas or stuffed chairs, just to retrieve whatever coin I heard rolling around inside when helping someone move. (You know, some furniture gets discarded during moves.) It's almost always a penny. Sometimes a few pennies. Then there's the combs, brushes, toys, lip balms, pens & pencils, lollipop stems and candy wrappers, and the occasional late payment notice or bad report card. The older furniture that might hold silver is getting hard to come across, but still a possibility. I have no great success story from doing this yet, but others have found old coins or large stashes of cash!

The vacuums at car washes can be full of coins. Of course most of them will be pennies. My eldest son was hitting a local car wash in his area every couple of weeks and picking up a few dollars in clad. Had a sifter to retain the coins as the dirt was sifted.

I'll second the thought on Old Overstuffed Chairs! Easy for a person to sink back into, and the coins move from a pocket and fall deep along the inside edge of the chair. My wife and I were given an old chair as a thank you for helping an old lady out with some things. As I helped carry the chair out to the station wagon, I could feel small round flat bumps right along the outside seam near the bottom, on both sides. My wife wanted to re-upholster the chair, so we eagerly cut away the outside fabric, and coins just poured out! This was probably 30 years ago but I still remember it! Buffalo Nickels, wheat pennies, Silver Quarters, Merc Dimes, even a Walking Liberty Silver Half!

So... just a heads up... if you see some overstuffed antique chair out on the curb for "free" stop and see if you can feel coins along the bottom sides outside, and take that puppy home and recover some silver!

Back in the 70s & 80s I used to frequent a large rural auto junkyard and whenever a junk vehicle would come in they would pull the back seats and collect all the coins (and sometimes bills!) for pop machine money for the workers in a coffee can. Sometimes the seats didn't remove easily so they'd forget those and take the cars back into the yard. I pulled some of those and found lots of coins, albeit pretty filthy looking coins. Don't remember any silver coins though. Did find a few rings.

I still scan the Indiana sand dunes by eye looking for coins where people run down to the beach.

Last edited:
It looks like old furniture(if it becomes available) is a winner, along with the car washes again for clad....and the chair for the “occasional bad report card”:lol:(thanks for the laugh Blaise!) And as was mentioned, nasty stuff might show up in the back seat crevices, so be aware of that.....great suggestions and excerpts from all so far, I love it! It does look like my “going through old car” idea has been thought of by many...not surprisingly I guess. Every time I think I’ve thought of something new or different...I haven’t. These are all examples of how we really are full time treasure hunters, and we look to capitalize on every opportunity, no matter how far-fetched it may seem to others.

Old furniture
Old cars
Car washes
Garage sales/flea market(coins buried under other stuff)
Coinstar
Old houses/vents/under carpet, etc

Outstanding so far people! Any others?

Never worked for me but I know of a few guys who have found coins at garage sales, opening pencil boxes, lunch boxes, dresser drawers, shoe boxes etc. Favorite story was a friend bought a desktop pencil box full of pencils and pens and found a morgan dollar at the bottom.

And this is a good one! I KNOW this is possible because clad gets into containers of other stuff at MY house,so I’ve seen this first hand! Excellent Loot!

And this is a good one! I KNOW this is possible because clad gets into containers of other stuff at MY house,so I’ve seen this first hand! Excellent Loot!

Yes and my buddy is not a coin collector, nor was he in need of pens or pencils. I still laugh at the random impulse buy and after 10 years I still ask him if he'll sell it to me for $1. That's what he thought it was worth when he discovered it.

Mud-Puppy tells a Story of a guy who when he travels brings along his pinpointer and checks the plastic traps of the hotel sinks looking for lost rings and earrings and other lost stuff..

Mud-Puppy tells a Story of a guy who when he travels brings along his pinpointer and checks the plastic traps of the hotel sinks looking for lost rings and earrings and other lost stuff..

Yeah I remember that post! It was a few years ago so good memory there SOM! As I recall, The guy traveled a lot for business and stayed in a lot of hotels, but being an avid detectorist, he needed to get his 'hunt on'!

So, he would travel with his pinpointer, and in every hotel room he stayed in, he would place it up against the plastic trap under the sink...if it buzzed, he would simply unscrew the trap and dump out the object! I thought it was a brilliant idea!

This method would in houses with plastic traps too!

Yeah I remember that post! It was a few years ago so good memory there SOM! As I recall, The guy traveled a lot for business and stayed in a lot of hotels, but being an avid detectorist, he needed to get his 'hunt on'!

So, he would travel with his pinpointer, and in every hotel room he stayed in, he would place it up against the plastic trap under the sink...if it buzzed, he would simply unscrew the trap and dump out the object! I thought it was a brilliant idea!

This method would in houses with plastic traps too!

That’s a pretty crafty thinker to come up with that one, and it’s good. I’d imagine a really high dollar ring or necklace would’ve gotten taken out by hotel maintenance after a frantic call, but other stuff...I can see it!
Nice one guys!

It looks like old furniture(if it becomes available) is a winner, along with the car washes again for clad....and the chair for the “occasional bad report card”:lol:(thanks for the laugh Blaise!) And as was mentioned, nasty stuff might show up in the back seat crevices, so be aware of that.....great suggestions and excerpts from all so far, I love it! It does look like my “going through old car” idea has been thought of by many...not surprisingly I guess. Every time I think I’ve thought of something new or different...I haven’t. These are all examples of how we really are full time treasure hunters, and we look to capitalize on every opportunity, no matter how far-fetched it may seem to others.

Old furniture
Old cars
Car washes
Coinstar

Someone at our local Goodwill store found some currency between the pages of an old book a few years back.

Back in the mid 70's my mother reupholstered furniture. I would get to keep the coins I found when I stripped the old fabric off. I found a few good coins now and again. One day I came home from school and she had already stripped this one couch that was a rush job. I was about to ask if there were any coins in it when she handed me a small baggie. She had found more than a dozen mercs in that one couch. I still have them in my collection. The only thing that would have been better is if I found them myself. It would have been exciting.
Someone mentioned the old registers and furnaces. Yes Yes Yes. many coins went down into heat ducts where we lived. If you dropped a coin on the floor and it found its way to the grate you could hear the coin roll down the duct work until it dropped into the airspace between the old cast iron coal furnace and the outer metal skin. I always wondered how many coins were in there. This past year my sister let me detect in the basement (dirt floor) I found a few clad coins and 32 wheatbacks over a dozen were from before 1920. all the pennies were piled up near the bottom step. Then I realized what must have happened. She had the old furnace torn out several years ago- whoever did the work must have found all the coins and tossed the pennies towards the bottom step. I can't imagine how much silver and other clad they found in this 1850 era house.

Old furniture
Old cars
Car washes
Coinstar

Saw this on Facebook and immediately thought of this post :yes:

https://www.facebook.com/aldubAM16/videos/848965188850477/

Originally Posted by sgabrie8544 View post
Welcome Home. You Viet Nam guys are all heros. You all did a great job, dont let anybody ever tell you different.

Doubling down on that! My utmost respect, Trap.

Never looked upon myself as a hero guys, never will. Just did what was in front of me at that time in my life and count my blessings going forward. Trapper

I got out at a turnpike gate in rural OK once and picked up $2 in change that had missed the basket.

When I was in high school I was tasked with finding a 1 carat emerald at my uncles jewelry store. The claim was that it was sucked up in the vacuum. I sifted through the bag and found bits of gold chain, small diamonds and other stones but not the emerald.

I've been checking Coinstars for about 5 years now and have gotten 60 silver coins from them as a result. I also find a decent amount of clad at Dunkin' Donuts drive-throughs......mostly pennies and dimes.

I will add this unusual experience of mine...Back in 1980, The Wife and I lived in a very old house in an old blue collar neighborhood. The basement 'laundry room' emptied out into an old clay tile sewer system...more of a floor drain than anything.

Well, the recession hit and we were hard pressed. She was 6 months pregnant and wanted a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread for some reason. I was broke! I was too chicken to knock over the liquor store, so I somehow thought of this old sewer line emanating from the house. I dont know why I even considered this...but I did...

There was a lilac bush out in the backyard, and I went and cut myself a nice supple shaft from it, about 6 feet long I remember...to the end of this I attached a table spoon with electrical tape, then I bent the spoon like a little hoe and snaked it down inside that pipe!

I got to dredging what had washed down inside that pipe over the years...and yes, I hauled out enough coins to fulfill her desires!

So a guy has got to think, inside of old sewer lines, theres an immense amount of coins and rings waiting there!

In our elder years, We still remember those hard days...A few years back, She said, "No matter what happens, with you around, I dont have to worry about starving to death!" Probably the best compliment I ever got...

Back
Top Bottom