• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

MDT vs Nox

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Video someone showed me of a salt water comparison between the two machines on a nickel. Damp sand. That about what i found.... i could hit a nickel at say 10 inches or so but then it would read nothing but iron. His Nox should have been running pretty well.....beach 1 recovery 2. Anyone notice something you might have done differently with the Nox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR81C69Sx1A

All I can add is rarely do I sweep that fast.

Well done test, East Coast Atlantic beach.. has to be more south since he is dressed light..Maybe Florida?

I am impressed with the results and I like the all carbon fiber design. However, the IP68 rating doesn't inspire confidence for me. "Up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes". The depth isn't an issue but only holding for 30 minutes is.

All i can say is when we tested my pi and my multi freq against the tarsacci in extreme black saltwater sand the tarsacci smoke em ,i don't want to say what brands because i don't want to start a war

IMO that was a poor comparison.
First he said the NOX was pre ground balanced ? How can that be when he turned it on and it dose not hold that information.
Also you should set the NOX for the condition.
If the iron bias is to high it will affect the depth also if it is to high it can actually block targets.
Next the higher the recovery speed you loose depth.
He never said what the any of settings were on the NOX.
I’m betting the other machine was se
Why was the NOX not set at max sensitivity.
Doug

He had the NOX at 22 why not 25

The Nox holds the last GB done. IF this was done here in Fl i can tell you that 15 GB is pretty closee because here the Nox will GB at 14 in Beach 1 thou i normally run it at GB 0 because im in and out of the water. That recovery was 2 thats a slow recovery for DEPTH. The machine as he raised the sensitivity you noticed it started to false. Do you hunt at max sensitivity? Yes you might get the Nox to run hotter.... but most of us wont hunt that way AND the MDT was hitting that coin and still not as hot as i run it..... and i certainly aint running a coil that high off the ground.

Joe...i agree he may have been singing it pretty fast over that coin. But ... the MDT is pretty surprising how well it alerts you when you go over a target no matter how fast you are moving along. Id been running 0 threshold.... and in 12khz or 18khz on the wet sand..... thats would have given me the depth to hit that nickel at nearly 17 inches like Tom said. I also will say if you could get the Nox hit that coin .... im bet you it read as IRON that deep. My tests show a nickel here in my mild sand at 11 inches turns to Iron reading. Id say im pretty good with both machines .... this to me was about what my testing shows too. We tested that 3 gram 10K gold ring in like conditions..... MDT 14"... Nox was at 12. When we tested these machines for that gold ring..... our goal was to be using the BEST machine out there so we set it up as good as we could and just how we could run them. I dont think we could have made the Nox hit that ring..... and if we did i can tell you id not be hunting that way because as soon as i moved off THAT spot things would have changed.

Last edited:
I know you use both the NOx and the MTD in the saltwater water. Any issues as far as noise? I know my dag excalibur is noisy in rough water using almetal only. Also I think Felix mentions the IP rating could be a issue. But I think your out deep for long hours to?

Joe .... the MDT in AM hears this minerals like the Nox and Xcal. But..... responses with a fast popping sound ... nothing like a target at all. So it runs much quieter than either of those machines.

I wonder how it does against the TDI BH on depth. Sounds like it does well as far as deep targets. I know Thomas has the MDT in VB and seems he is very happy with his.

IMO that was a poor comparison.
First he said the NOX was pre ground balanced ? How can that be when he turned it on and it dose not hold that information.
Also you should set the NOX for the condition.
If the iron bias is to high it will affect the depth also if it is to high it can actually block targets.
Next the higher the recovery speed you loose depth.
He never said what the any of settings were on the NOX.
I’m betting the other machine was se
Why was the NOX not set at max sensitivity.
Doug

He had the NOX at 22 why not 25

He showed or explained all of the basic settings. The Iron bias and recovery speed were set low.

He demonstrated how the machine became unstable (too sensitive for the conditions) if he pushed the sensitivity higher than 20.

The swing speed was bonkers, but the MDT was able to do it. Maybe that's just a thing with beach hunters. Looks tiring to me.

Beach 1
Sensitivity 20
Noise cancel 0
Ground balance 15. (It does save. Probably did it before video to save time.)
Volume 25.
Recovery speed 2.
Iron bias (F2) 0.
50 tones.
Nothing notched out.

Back
Top Bottom