Success Rate?

Silver Shroud

I've been a bit shy when it comes to door knocking and have been sending hand written letters to land owners asking for permission to detect along with my phone number.

Just curious if anyone has done this and what your success rate is. I've sent out 5 so far and got a call from 1 giving me permission.

.... and have been sending hand written letters to land owners asking for permission to detect along with my phone number....

And guess what ? You will be treated like a door-to-door solicitor or junk mail distributor. Right ? I mean, after all, guess what YOU do with junk-mail from total strangers. You throw it away. Right ? :roll:

The best way, is to become involved with local historical societies and museums. Sit as "fly on the wall" for a few years, getting to know the local folk. Volunteer your time as docent. Typically requiring 6 hr. per month, where you man a desk, or sort files, blah blah. Then, after you have your name-badge, you approach the land-owner under the pretense of "doing research" , blah blah. And flash your credentials, blah blah.

Any other Q's ?

And guess what ? You will be treated like a door-to-door solicitor or junk mail distributor. Right ? I mean, after all, guess what YOU do with junk-mail from total strangers. You throw it away. Right ? :roll:

The best way, is to become involved with local historical societies and museums. Sit as "fly on the wall" for a few years, getting to know the local folk. Volunteer your time as docent. Typically requiring 6 hr. per month, where you man a desk, or sort files, blah blah. Then, after you have your name-badge, you approach the land-owner under the pretense of "doing research" , blah blah. And flash your credentials, blah blah.

Any other Q's ?

You NEVER open hand written letters addressed to you? I guess things are done differently in CA than the Midwest.

The town that I live in outlaws metal detecting. These locations that I'm writing to are 30+ miles away.

No offense but "flashing a badge" seems a bit conceded. Again, I think things are done a little differently in the Midwest.

Sorry to be rude, but I was specifically asking if anyone had written letters and you didn't respond to that question. Instead you attacked me. Thanks for that.

I think you're the one taking it wrong, his advice is good and typical advice given on this site by many whom have had success in doing so. I live in WV and most of my life in Ohio, some in Co, don't think it much matters where you live, junk mail is junk mail, most I throw away, even hand written, so many scams and junk these days.
Like you I lack the courage to go up and knock, mostly because afraid I'm just disturbing them or invading their privacy, now 50 years ago, would have been different, we live in a different generation now.
I did not see his comment as a personal attack, ymmv

I think that's fair. My major point is that my town is very very against metal detecting and my own option is to drive 30+ miles away and potentially be turned down. My thought was reaching out via mail would be a better option but must not be.

I was more than anything trying to getting some other options and he did provide those so I apologize for my response. I think my situation is a bit more difficult than others due to the tight restrictions in my town and neighboring towns.

Well, with your latest post, let me welcome you to the forum, sometimes as with any forum, text, non verbal, no voice inflection or visual body language, it's extremely easy to be mistaken for what was meant than said...or written in this case.
Eventually I will attempt a door knock, another chance for success would be to offer the would be land/property owner one free detect if they ever loose a ring or valuable within reason.

One out of 5 gave you permission, I'd say that's pretty good. When you are on that permission when a neighbor comes out to see whats going on, talk to them. If they are old ask about where they played as kids, talk about anything but permission for a few minutes and then ask.

I don't door knock, I try to catch people outside, especially if there is a bunch of landscaping or construction going on. I am hitting 100 percent on people getting new roofs, well only 2 people but they both said yes when I offered to come in and pick up roofing nails.

For what it's worth, I definitely think that in-person stands a much better chance of success than a letter. Not that you CAN'T have some success that way but, psychologically, it is more difficult to tell someone no face-to-face than by letter or by just ignoring the letter. That said, even asking in person will get a lot of refusals.

I think that the obvious key is in one's presentation. Many people totally chalk the no's up to cranky homeowners without trying to look at themselves from the homeowner's perspective. Hunters have a bad habit of showing up too early in the day (like 7 am), show up filthy or wearing 'controversial' shirts (political/religious/profanity), lacking politeness or humility, the list goes on. A key question to ask is, 'Would I give me permission looking how I look and acting how I act?'

While driving 30+ miles to knock a door may be akin to rolling the dice, that is essentially what our hobby is - i.e. digging a target does not guarantee it will be something good. Much like digging MANY, MANY targets to find that good one, you kind of have to sometimes knock a lot of doors to get a yes. To paraphrase 'Calabash Digger' from YouTube, this is a 'game of odds' and the best bet is to up your odds for better success. Just one guy's view.

Don't forget, their biggest fear is a gopher just asked to dig big holes in their yard(their mindset) (thoughts of CaddyShack lol) leave your gear in your car when asking to avoid this and looking presumptuous. Ask if they'd like to observe.

Thanks all for your advice. I've done a lot of reading on it and watched videos, I think the big thing is the rejection side of things and I've gotten many permissions from people I know and have been timid to go outside of my bubble.

Have any of you made flyers or pamphlets that you hand out? That's another thing I've concerned to give them a little more info about it and might make them reconsider later on if/when they read it.

I never send letters. People are more open if they know with who they talk, so face2face. Sometimes in between hunting. Sometimes i take an afternoon for it.
I know not everyone has time or oppertunity for that and letters are a good option. But i doubt a good succes rate only by letter.

I always ask it in person. Introduce myself. Ask my question for permission, with explanation what i will do and what not. Often a chat about history and sorts of finds. A chat where the knowledge of the landowner often yields something extra interesting. Always gold/treasure as subject, which i then can laugh away explaining the odds, and promise to then contact for sharing equal (law here) but not to count on it.:laughing:

Succes rate? About 98%? 99%? (hardly ever refused)
Must be my good looks and friendly face. :cool3: (not:laughing:)

.... so I apologize for my response. ....

Accepted. Sometimes responses in print are hard-to-gauge, and could seem harsh.

I am/was just saying what's worked for me. Historical society docent-work has gotten me in some hair-raising awesome sites. Ie.: "Hello, I work at such & such museum, and am doing research on (or "writing an article about...") the stage stop that was said to have been on the back 40 in-this-canyon ", blah blah

Anyhow, it's worked for me. And it's actually fun to lead 4th graders through on tours, man a desk a few hours per month, etc.... Yes, the "fox-guarding-the-hen-house", but it works :)

....I don't door knock, I try to catch people outside, ...

.... in-person stands a much better chance of success than a letter.....

I never send letters. People are more open if they know with who they talk, so face2face....

Bingo. The best way to "cold-call" someone, is face to face. Ie.: "bump into them" when they're out in their yard. Also have names-to-drop : Eg.: " Janette down at the diner said you might know something about the stage stop that was said to have existed on the back-40 here. I'm a historian doing research on... " blah blah.

Because if you just simply call, then you'll get treated as a phone solicitor. If you knock on the door, you get treated as a door-to-door salesperson.

Yes that requires some preparation. And might seem creepy to "stake out" or find out "who knows who". But ... beats the heck out a "no".

Trying to catch them outside is key....

Also, my friends get me permissions...

If there is a property I want to hunt, if I don't know the owner, chances one of my friends does...

I ask my friend to ask permission for me - "friend, I'd really love to hunt such and such. You know who owns it?"

"Yup, Mr Johnson"

"I wonder if he'd let me hunt it?"

"I dunno, but when I see him at church, I'll ask him."

Your friend knows the property owner, and a friend will vouch for you.

No letters, cards or fancy stationary. Keep your intro down to about 30 seconds or less.
Never mention the word dig. “I’m looking for wheat pennies”

I get at least 4 out of 5 ok’s or better.

I've been a bit shy when it comes to door knocking and have been sending hand written letters to land owners asking for permission to detect along with my phone number.

Just curious if anyone has done this and what your success rate is. I've sent out 5 so far and got a call from 1 giving me permission.

:wow: So You’re home town doesn’t allow metal detecting on private property even by the owners or their relatives? Dang and I thought Massachusetts was restrictive! Good luck with permissions hey one is a good start and gets a foot on some dirt more will come once you’re there and networking.

We can detect on private property, the town itself is rather interesting though. I’ve asked many land owners in town through work and all of them had said no because of “historic significance”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... I’ve asked many land owners in town through work and all of them had said no because of “historic significance”....

ok. And you think this is due to " my town is very very against metal detecting " ?

I am betting that this is just the polite way of persons to say "no". And even IF someone , could find someone in a town-office to bristle at "historic" blah blah, that it would , again, be a case of "no one cared till you asked" routine.

Those homeowners can do whatever-the-heck-they-want in their yards. If they say "no d/t historical", then me-thinks that's only a polite way to brush you off. And not d/t any laws or whatever.

How about just going out to the public land , that's certainly all around you, and looking for the wedding ring your wife lost last week ? :?:

The public land around me is hunting ground. I’m not sure what will be there. Literally all public ground in my area is off-limits.

I have gone to parks in other towns relatively close (20 miles or so) but my take on that is that many in my town do the same because of the laws in mine because I haven’t found much at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also have names-to-drop : Eg.: " Janette down at the diner said you might know something about the stage stop that was said to have existed on the back-40 here. I'm a historian doing research on... " blah blah.

Right!
"you should hunt the property of ***** some furter on. There a few years ago was found **** so ..."
"Your neighbour **** who knows me well as i hunt their often said to me i should go ask you for permission..." ...."ohw yeah, is saw you already there..." (almost always granted!)
"I see my neighbour farmer often. I'll ask him if you may hunt his property to. I'll let you know next time."
"My brother/nephew is also farmer in a village further on and i told him .... he said you may hunt there to."
"Could be you find my moms wedding ring lost wenn working there. Would appriciate it if you find it". Answer "Off course i'll bring it back to you!!" (the hand full tenners of gold is not worth the thanks you will receive, by helping you on other properties)

I help farmers find back dug in water supplies. What i tell them at at first introduction.
I help farmers finding back expensive farm machines parts. They know they can call me for that. You know what a lost plow knife cost them?
Let your kids bake some fresh cookies or your wife a cake to give away at people with 'good' grounds you want to keep hunting. Will do wonders. The word will spread around.

Eventually they will come TO YOU with properties you may hunt.

Networking is the answer!! Become known and accepted. Leave your phone number.

(also works for archeological relevant properties. w/ official contacts)

Back
Top Bottom