Hawaii trip Wrap Up.... Nothing like Hawaiian Silver

Buellride

Forum Supporter
What did you think I was going to bore everyone with finds from the beach?! Heck no I have plenty of success land hunting around military bases. If you recall my last 2 visits here netted me a Morgan Dollar and a silver Washington. Well this trip was no slouch.

First day of hunting got me about 8 wheaties but no silver, 2nd hunt was another 5 wheaties and the 1958D silver Washington. Today was 5 more wheaties and a 1957D Franklin half and a 1936S Merc.

Oh and yes those are 18 wheat backs!

$4.10 in clad, plenty of sun and a good share of Hawaiian silver!

HH and GL!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1582594531860.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594531860.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 308
  • FB_IMG_1582594522682.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594522682.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 272
  • FB_IMG_1582594539880.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594539880.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 269
  • FB_IMG_1582594546196.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594546196.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 269
  • FB_IMG_1582594552760.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594552760.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 264
  • FB_IMG_1582594559911.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594559911.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 257
  • FB_IMG_1582594566142.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594566142.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 249
  • FB_IMG_1582594571322.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582594571322.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Aloha Paul. Great finds. Nice to see you back on the silver train again. That'll be pretty hard to beat when you come back to the 48.

Nice silvers & very nice close up pix. Now you need to find one of those Hawaiian coins they do exist. Congrats.

Thank you Mike, you are referring to the the 1881? King Kamehameha coins... Those are really hard to come by and rarer than hens teeth to metal detect and recover. I have lived in Hawaii on and off for over 10 years and never heard of one being found on Oahu. Most native Hawaiians threw those coins into the ocean for various reasons. But you never know 😊

Congrats on the oldies and nice looking silvers. Do you ever have problems detecting on the base?

No problems, I get queries from the residents of the base housing.... The MPs don't have any issues. It is the same old thing here as it is anywhere, you have to educate the "public" about what you are doing.

Now the SPs on Hickam are a little more of a problem... Good thing to have a retired ID card that is sort of a "get out of jail free card" when they see the rank😉...

No problems, I get queries from the residents of the base housing.... The MPs don't have any issues. It is the same old thing here as it is anywhere, you have to educate the "public" about what you are doing.

Now the SPs on Hickam are a little more of a problem... Good thing to have a retired ID card that is sort of a "get out of jail free card" when they see the rank��...[/QUOTE]

Excellent finds - congrats! I've hunted on a couple of bases and all of them produced; however, it all came down to the SPs. Some were a problem, some were not.

Now the SPs on Hickam are a little more of a problem... Good thing to have a retired ID card that is sort of a "get out of jail free card" when they see the rank��...

Excellent finds - congrats! I've hunted on a couple of bases and all of them produced; however, it all came down to the SPs. Some were a problem, some were not.[/QUOTE]

I will venture to say that military bases, by and large, haven't been pounded as much (if at all in my case) as public locations

Dang fine silvers and wheats, nice hunting!

Thank you, the volcanic soil can give your PP a fit and the coins are dirtier than normal but the soil really preserves their beauty! 😊

The only problem I have encountered, in CA, with md'ing on military bases, is the post 9/11 world in which we live in. Seems that all the bases got "check-point charlies" now. Which, of course, has nothing to do with hobbyist metal detecting. We used to detect on military bases all the time, before 9/11. And their parks and green-belts were no different than any city parks or greenbelts. Ie.: Sure, you have to give lip service now and then, blah blah.

...... Good thing to have a retired ID card that is sort of a "get out of jail free card" when they see the rank😉...

I had to chuckle when I read this. Because there's a local base here called the Defense Language Institute. AKA the Monterey Presidio. And the lower portion of this base is extremely sensitive off-limits historical monument. Military history dating back to Spanish times of the 1790s, etc.....

And a buddy of mine used to get away with metal detecting there all the time, back in the 1990s. Because he had a friend who was a high-ranking military brass. Ie.: someone who had come back from Vietnam highly decorated, or some such military status. So whenever the MP's would try to come hassle them, the guy would just show them his ID. The young MPs would just salute and slink away, and let them continue unbothered. Doh !

The only problem I have encountered, in CA, with md'ing on military bases, is the post 9/11 world in which we live in. Seems that all the bases got "check-point charlies" now. Which, of course, has nothing to do with hobbyist metal detecting. We used to detect on military bases all the time, before 9/11. And their parks and green-belts were no different than any city parks or greenbelts. Ie.: Sure, you have to give lip service now and then, blah blah.

I had to chuckle when I read this. Because there's a local base here called the Defense Language Institute. AKA the Monterey Presidio. And the lower portion of this base is extremely sensitive off-limits historical monument. Military history dating back to Spanish times of the 1790s, etc.....

And a buddy of mine used to get away with metal detecting there all the time, back in the 1990s. Because he had a friend who was a high-ranking military brass. Ie.: someone who had come back from Vietnam highly decorated, or some such military status. So whenever the MP's would try to come hassle them, the guy would just show them his ID. The young MPs would just salute and slink away, and let them continue unbothered. Doh !

It works for me most of the time... I grew up in Hawaii and Sunnyvale so I know Fort Ord/DLI well.... I did my ROTC time in and around there and Camp Roberts.

Congratulations on the gorgeous Hawaiian silver! They cleaned up very well. Have a safe trip home. :D

Thanks Kevin! Looking forward to getting home.

Nice finds!

TY

.... I know Fort Ord/DLI well.... I did my ROTC time in and around there and Camp Roberts. ....

We pulled a lot of silver "back in the day" from Ft. Ord. The parade grounds were always productive. But it's been worked out now. As has all the obvious barracks were hit hard back in the 1970s and '80s.

Camp Roberts has been hit hard too. Lot of silver used to come out of there back in the 1980s.

And as far as the DLI : Believe it or not, there was a time when you could go, in broad daylight, and hunt there un-bothered. The museum there (that I docent at) even has some cannon-balls that were found by hobbyists with metal detectors (who donated them to the museum). The dossier doesn't specify that, but ... I know the guys who found them, so I know the back-story. :cool3:

But then in the 1990s and 2000s, I guess the era of "archaeological awareness" became more pronounced, and they started scramming people. But even then, as I say, I knew a guy who continued to go un-bothered, because he knew a retired military guy with the "right # of stars on his shoulder", ha.

Back
Top Bottom