Simplex Lipo Battery

Estima8tor

Elite Member
So the Simplex has Lipo batteries in the detector & headphones and I don't have any experience with Lipo's. Is it better to drain the battery down as far as possible before recharging to get the most lifespan from the battery or does it matter?

Also my XP MI-4 pinpointer has Lithium rechargeable batteries - same question for those....

LiPo's don't really have a "memory" like the old NiCad that will decrease their charge dissipation time.

They do generally have a limited number of charging cycles though so you should drain them pretty far before charging.

To help reduce the number of times you have to put it on the charger you could use one of those charging banks to make sure you don't run out of juice in the field.

So the Simplex has Lipo batteries in the detector & headphones and I don't have any experience with Lipo's. Is it better to drain the battery down as far as possible before recharging to get the most lifespan from the battery or does it matter?

Also my XP MI-4 pinpointer has Lithium rechargeable batteries - same question for those....

Consider that cell phones and electric cars are powered by lithium batteries and go through partial charge cycles daily for years.

There are a few general rules about charging, but they aren't usually necessary for the consumer to worry about on quality consumer electronics with good charging circuits.

For example, full charges and discharges are actually bad for lithium ion battery life, but this is likely to be managed for you by the device. The battery meter is calibrated to show 100% (and stop charging) when the battery is actually under the maximum charge. The same thing for 0%. The device shuts off when there's actually 3%-5% left in the cell.

Routine partial charging between those two states is not only not an issue...it's a preferred way of charging.

One practice a consumer CAN follow is not storing a lithium ion battery in a full or empty state of charge. Again, this isn't entirely possible because the charging circuit won't allow full charges anyway. A full discharge could occur if the battery is mostly depleted and then left to sit.

The best practice for a battery that isn't going to get used for a few months is to charge it to 50% and store it in a cool place. High operating or storage temperatures will degrade capacity faster than lower temperatures.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the info guys. I will try to drain it down as far as possible between uses to limit the number of charges.

What ToySoldier said.

+2....The instructions with various Lithium-Ion battery powered tools I've purchased in the past say to recharge battery pack after each use....no issues to date (several years old). I love the ML-3400 battery pack I use in my Explorer, otherwise the Explorer would be a Bunny killer! I do keep a spare AA and ni-mh pack handy, in case I chose to detect for a several days non-stop.....might give me a LITTLE more time on a hot spot.....lol!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom