Without using a metal detector....

IDXMonster

Elite Member
What are some places you have thought of to find silver coins that you don’t have to pay for AND ACTUALLY FOUND THEM? We will take a few places “off the table” because they’re common and obvious....

1) Coin Rolls....out
2) Circulation....out
3) Existing family collections...out

Being an auto mechanic, I thought of this one awhile ago but I’ll bring it up again if I didn’t before. In ALL states we obviously have cars...and eventually those cars go out of service. Today, around here, by the time a car goes out of service because of age, it is inevitably a huge rotten and rusty turd. These cars get squashed immediately and recycled completely. Others with crash damage are taken apart for their good parts and squashed. HOWEVER....back in the day(early 1920’s-1970’s) they were taken to a traditional “junkyard”....basically a farm field that was a parking lot for old decrepit vehicles that could still be picked over by us “gear head vultures” who wanted to keep our car going. These “junkyards” that were smaller in rural areas still collectively have millions of cars sitting around from the time when silver was in circulation, and we all know how many coins can get lost in cars! EVERY time I have to have a seat out of a car to access a fuel pump or put in a seat belt or put in some rear struts....I find coins. EVERY TIME. The total number of silver coins in these old cars had to be mind boggling, but it takes someone to be able to search for them.
Some junkyards are “pick your own parts” while others may not allow customers into the yard itself. You would simply have to be aware of who is who and if you see an old car sitting out in the woods or in an old junkyard that you can legitimately access, it’s just another idea for finding older coins.
I’m not going to include any cautionary advice other than to use common sense, old cars are havens for wildlife of all kinds.
What is YOUR “ace in the hole” and fun place to search?

It is funny that this item came up as I was reminiscing of my youth and young adult life long gone past. While I was not the mechanical type nor even a car guy Silver coins were a big thing back then. The years were 1969 through 1972. I was employed by a company named Sadoff and Rudoy Industries. They were a big time junkyard recycling center in the lower Fox Valley. My job there was assigned to the Shredder Mill. We cut up junk cars and put them through a hammer mill. The mill pounded down to 3 or 4 inch pieces and separated ferrous and non ferrous metals which ran down two conveyor lines. The upper or main line the steel ran with two men separating out the steel car seat wire while the rest ran out to fill rail cars to go back to the steel mills. The lower also with two men was the money line, it is where the copper, brass and Silver flowed. The amount of coinage that was picked was amazing from that line. We were a crew of six and rotated jobs daily except for the operator. All coins were to be put in a jar and at the end of the day to be split equally. I'm very sure this did not happen as some of the guys had bigger thirsts with the spoils. Still on typical days we would walk away with 3 to 4 bucks in change each from a 10 hour work day of which about $2 would be in Silver form. Not always in the best shape but free money just the same. This went very good until somebody hide a partially filled gas tank (extra weight) in one of the vehicles. The result from that explosion ended my career there. It also killed one of my coworkers and left another crippled for the rest of his life. Trapper

Trap...buddy....I’m going to ask again, because I’ve asked before...HOW THE HELL ARE YOU STILL ALIVE??:lol:
That story right there confirms that these cars were/are carrying coins, and wherever they may be, so are old coins. I’m glad it lasted while it did...:yes:

Trap...buddy....I’m going to ask again, because I’ve asked before...HOW THE HELL ARE YOU STILL ALIVE??:lol:
That story right there confirms that these cars were/are carrying coins, and wherever they may be, so are old coins. I’m glad it lasted while it did...:yes:

Just life Kevin, just life....Oh and being a little on the lucky side at times. Or maybe being a lot unlucky being put through so many trials. Vietnam just weighted me down a bit with some lead. Guess I needed some extra bulk back then, the car accident placed some windshield deep into my skull but that just enhanced my inner beauty, didn't do much for my face though. Being paralyzed after the back injury just increased my survivor resolve and determination to be a continuous pain in the ass for my wife's benefit. Now Cancer was a little tougher. It led to a major changes in my life as it stopped a lot of major adventures with the outdoors but allowed me to find the new life passion in the form of metal detecting so even that had a bit of benefit. This last episode with heart attack still is open but it has again made vast changes in life style but it also reaffirms the idea that life is for the living and even at these later stages of my life I need new challenges. You know I had not thought about that incident for a very long time until your thread posting reminded me of that time. Trapper

Just life Kevin, just life....Oh and being a little on the lucky side at times. Or maybe being a lot unlucky being put through so many trials. Vietnam just weighted me down a bit with some lead. Guess I needed some extra bulk back then, the car accident placed some windshield deep into my skull but that just enhanced my inner beauty, didn't do much for my face though. Being paralyzed after the back injury just increased my survivor resolve and determination to be a continuous pain in the ass for my wife's benefit. Now Cancer was a little tougher. It led to a major changes in my life as it stopped a lot of major adventures with the outdoors but allowed me to find the new life passion in the form of metal detecting so even that had a bit of benefit. This last episode with heart attack still is open but it has again made vast changes in life style but it also reaffirms the idea that life is for the living and even at these later stages of my life I need new challenges. You know I had not thought about that incident for a very long time until your thread posting reminded me of that time. Trapper

Welcome Home. You Viet Nam guys are all heros. You all did a great job, dont let anybody ever tell you different.

As they say Trapper.. "What doesn't Kill you only makes you Stronger"

Coin Star machine is tops for me.

Coinstar always works for me.

Someone around here Yanks up all the rear car seats in the pick n pull wrecking yard so all the coins are gone and loads of rear seats are destroyed.:no:

A few years back, when silver was wayyyy up, some cousins were replacing a very old heating system in a very old farmhouse. This was a big fine home, it wasn't built by poor folk. It had huge heat grates in the floor, they found enough silver to pay for the new furnace. Mostly coins, but there was silverware and a bunch of toys as well.

For me I find them in the coinstar machines the most. I used to occasionally find them in circulation but it's been a while. I have been given a few from family members.

Interesting topic: Although they've produced very little silver for me, but a whole lot of clad, I have two go-to locations that always produce coins and lift my spirits when I can't get out and detect. 1) The ground at any fast food drive-through is always loaded. On the pavement, in the pavement's expansion joints, in the mulch above the curb-strip. You name the franchise and I promise you, it's loaded. Most customers won't get out to pick up what's been dropped. Most employees won't go out and recover the drops either. Loaded! 2) The vacuum booths at carwashes usually produce as well. People pull up, pull out and flip over the floor mats, and don't bother to pick up the coins, the Legos, the Cheerios, and the general trash. Those first couple of warm, sunny spring weekends when the masses get out and wash their cars is the best time.

Interesting topic: Although they've produced very little silver for me, but a whole lot of clad, I have two go-to locations that always produce coins and lift my spirits when I can't get out and detect. 1) The ground at any fast food drive-through is always loaded. On the pavement, in the pavement's expansion joints, in the mulch above the curb-strip. You name the franchise and I promise you, it's loaded. Most customers won't get out to pick up what's been dropped. Most employees won't go out and recover the drops either. Loaded! 2) The vacuum booths at carwashes usually produce as well. People pull up, pull out and flip over the floor mats, and don't bother to pick up the coins, the Legos, the Cheerios, and the general trash. Those first couple of warm, sunny spring weekends when the masses get out and wash their cars is the best time.

Car washes for clad! I forgot about that one but I’ve found the same, even at our small local 2 bay. Nice one!:yes:

A few years back, when silver was wayyyy up, some cousins were replacing a very old heating system in a very old farmhouse. This was a big fine home, it wasn't built by poor folk. It had huge heat grates in the floor, they found enough silver to pay for the new furnace. Mostly coins, but there was silverware and a bunch of toys as well.

Oh boy....could you imagine having free reign to just go snooping around some of these old houses and inspect every crevice from top to bottom? Great story Jim, I can just see the look on their faces when they realized what they’d found!

The vacuum booths at carwashes....

Now I'm wondering if car wash attendants have a method for going through the contents of the vacuum canister to retrieve coins. I bet its a pretty significant haul, but I'm not sure it would be worth it given the other backseat contents..

Now I'm wondering if car wash attendants have a method for going through the contents of the vacuum canister to retrieve coins. I bet its a pretty significant haul, but I'm not sure it would be worth it given the other backseat contents..

When I worked at a popular full service car wash in town we would race to beat each other to the vacuum station. Whoever did the vacuuming shift got to empty the canister at the end of the shift and they usually made more money than the guys drying at the end of the line collecting tips.

I never did it, but know of a few "accidentally" vacuumed coins out of cup holders and armrests etc. Taught me to always hide my change whenever I took my car in for any type of service.

Never worked for me but I know of a few guys who have found coins at garage sales, opening pencil boxes, lunch boxes, dresser drawers, shoe boxes etc. Favorite story was a friend bought a desktop pencil box full of pencils and pens and found a morgan dollar at the bottom.

Okay, since you mentioned it, let me tell you what I observed one day last spring. I had been detecting one particularly humid morning in Portsmouth, VA and I stopped at a Sonic to get something to drink. As I sat in the car stall, I watched across the street as a teenage carwash employee :roll: removed the bins from two vacuum collection units at the carwash. The employee carelessly attempted to dump the bins into large black trash bags, but even from across the street I could see the bin contents falling everywhere but into the trash bags. Fifteen minutes later I went over to the vacuums and looked in the grass and on the pavement: French fries, Cheerios, Goldfish crackers, Legos, pens, pencils, crayons, candy chunks, batteries, straws, ear buds, food wrappers, and $3.78 in coins - mostly quarters and pennies! I'll admit it, since then I regularly scout and collect at carwashes/vacuum units the way a couple of the members here collect at the Coinstar machines. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom