Waxhaw, NC metal detecting: Axe, hook, bullet, grommet

mikeydoeswork

First time using this platform so hopefully I’m doing it correctly! Any idea on age of axe head? (I put the stick in it) appears to be for wrapping around a round handle. Area is a few hundred feet from known Revolutionary War graves, but also old logging area… I found a flat metal file about 50 yards away that dates civil war era, so I think most likely would be late 1800’s (logging camp?) but the design and way it’s made might be a better way to age it. I also found a lead bullet, looks older by its design, it’s right around <=30 cal. and some other things. Any info on anything would be awesome!!!

Attachments

• WaxhawNCstuff3.jpg
    WaxhawNCstuff3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 385
  • RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_4554.jpg
    IMG_4554.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_4448.jpg
    IMG_4448.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Has to be very old, love all your finds " especially the axe " Congrats, and even ( better ) luck next trip out !:digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::detector::chaplin::chaplin:
too_

Has to be very old, love all your finds " especially the axe " Congrats, and even ( better ) luck next trip out !:digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::detector::chaplin::chaplin:
too_

Hey thank you! Yeah the axe seems old, I just don't know if it's 1800's or 1700's... the place is on an old trading route from the 1650's... a couple of the glass shards have been worked into points and scrapers, and being that the natives were out of here by the mid 1700's, it sorta time stamps when at least some type of activity was in the area

Again, no idea on the age, but that axe looks amazing! Great save!

Yeah everyone here seems to like the axe, surprising to me actually. But I have it displayed on a glass shelf bc I thought it looked pretty cool with all the pits and colors. Thank you!

Is this part of the old trading path near downtown Waxhaw? That’s impressive what you have found.

The disk looking thing is an inside plate of an old pocket watch, 1800's it seems. Shotgun shell is from 1910-12. Broken horseshoe, and I think a watering bit. The long square rose head bolt threaded at the last inch or so seems 1700's and the only similar one i could find was from a camp at valley forge. Very early settlers lived in the area, so idk if someone lived at this spot, or if it was a high traffic road, or a camp of some sort, maybe logging operation...the chain with the handle was used for horses pulling heavy loads, like logs, but also artillery, though I am only aware of small civil war skirmishes within a mile, but revolutionary war (possible french/indian) within a matter of 200 yards. The metal file I found ended up having a logo once some of the rust was cleared away, and the company was around for a short time post civil war, possibly during. Most interested in finding things from 1650-1800, I think the pottery and maybe the axe and fishing hook?

Looks like you got fragments of arrowheads too? If so you found those while looking down, not sure when the Indian started using copper arrowheads from European influence

I’m going next month to a hunting club land(1100 acres). Some civil war crossings there . It’s in Sandhills in SC

Back
Top Bottom