• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thought I found my first Barber but I didn't

JimR_TN

Elite Member
Out for a morning hunt enjoying this beautiful weather as fall is in the air. A good friend and I were hunting an area that had an old school and church from the early/mid 1800s. Very few targets (I only found 3 coins in 4 hours) then my first coin was very dirty yet I thought I saw "One Dime". My first Barber I thought... but no. A little water showed I skipped right over the Barbers and found an 1876 Seated Liberty dime! Yahoo! :wow: It was only about 3" down in a rocky/gravel area.

This is now my oldest coin as well as oldest silver.

Attachments

• 1876seatedfront09192020.jpg
    1876seatedfront09192020.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 1876Seatedback09192020.jpg
    1876Seatedback09192020.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 1941wheat09192020.jpg
    1941wheat09192020.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 09192020hunt.jpg
    09192020hunt.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 224
... I skipped right over the Barbers and found an 1876 Seated Liberty dime! Yahoo!....

Nope. You can't skip to the head of the class. You have to go in date order like the rest of us were forced to do. After all: What's fair is fair. So go put that back in the ground, and find a barber first . Tsk tsk. :impatient:

The seated liberty is great. Nice finds. Sounds like you worked hard to get it.
Cheers,
Ken

Very nice find, congrats on that beautiful Seated Dime!

Thanks!

Sweet find, good detail on that front too. I still need me a seated!

Thanks!

Nope. You can't skip to the head of the class. You have to go in date order like the rest of us were forced to do. After all: What's fair is fair. So go put that back in the ground, and find a barber first . Tsk tsk. :impatient:

And it's actually San Francisco mint silver east of the Mississippi! :cool3:

The seated liberty is great. Nice finds. Sounds like you worked hard to get it.
Cheers,
Ken

Thanks! Yes, lots of walking and swinging. This place had been hit hard over the years but I think this dime was on edge and there was a nail very close to it in some gravel. The signal wasn't great but it gave high tones from every angle.

That’s a pretty pleasant letdown there Jim! And don’t worry, a lot of us including myself have broken Toms rules and skipped a bunch of stuff:lol: When people refer to “the One Dime game” that’s what that means. IF you see the reverse first, you don’t know if it’s a Barber or Seated! Either way though, it’s usually OK...;)

Wow, congrats on the seated liberty ! :thumbsup:

If you only found 3 coins in 4 hours that made up for it I'm sure !

I'd be okay with finding one coin in 4 hours if the one coin was a seated liberty :lol:

Back
Top Bottom