My first Seated Liberty Quarter 1876-S, silvers, tokens, Sterling!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Well, I've had several detecting hunts lately, and have been blessed to have made some good finds!

My first trip earlier this week was up to the "big city" of Missoula with a local friend who uses the AT Max. Best finds for me on that trip were two baby 1964-D Silver Rosie dimes, a Virginia Power & Electric Co. transit token, a "OUR HOUSE" saloon token from Seattle, 2 generic trade tokens, and a small Sterling Silver child's ring. My friend found his first Buffalo Nickel, 3 generic Trade Tokens, a Silver War Nickel and a Mercury Dime. The homes we detected were 1940's vintage, so we were not expecting anything super old.

The next day I headed up with another local friend who also uses the AT Max. We went back to that same neighborhood and got more curb strip hunting in, and I was able to get permission at a few yards. My best finds were a couple of Mercury Dimes, and a very nice condition Buffalo Nickel. My friend's best find was a gorgeous Sterling Silver "Fouled Anchors" United States Navy USN pin! Very nice!

That evening, with the weather being gorgeous, I headed back to the saloon token yard to do a bit of detecting. The gentleman there told me he had gotten me permission at a couple more local mansions! I started detecting at one of them, a huge home on probably 2 acres. Around the home I started finding wheat cents, and near the front I got a steady 84-85 on the AT Pro. Since the signal was fairly deep, I was hoping for silver. The target was under a root, and after some work I saw a silver disc roll into the hole. I picked it up and happened to see the reverse. Hmmmm this is no GW, Stander or Barber... wow, 1876 Seated Liberty! Very worn, probably dropped about 1895-1900, which is about the date this place was built. One other oddball find was a mini copper frying pan, with a silver looking embossed FISH stamped in the bottom of the pan!

Today I headed to Missoula again, to meet my friend from Helena (Nox 800). We spent about 6 hours detecting, and went back to that 1940's neighborhood. Old coins were scarce, with some wheat cents showing up, along with a lot of copper memorial pennies. The first yard permission yielded a 1960-D Silver Rosie for me, and a nearby curb strip gave up a Silver Rosie for my friend. Another yard permission gave up a 1953 Silver Washington Quarter for me, and another Silver Rosie. My friend found another Silver dime, and a beautiful Sterling Silver ring. My last good find was a small child's Sterling Ring.

The day was winding down, and we both decided to head to an older area where we hoped to get one more yard permission before we both headed home. I was able to get the OK at a ca 1920's home, and we split the yard and went to work. We both started finding Wheat Cents, and I got a 1926 Mercury Dime. My friend hit a Token spill, with 2 "LITTLE CHIEF" saloon tokens from Missoula! I ran across a 1934 Buffalo Nickel, and finished my side of the yard. I had one small area of the yard that I could just pick up a nice high tone with the AT Pro, but there was a lot of iron around it and I just couldn't pin the exact location down. The Nox is really good a sniffing out stuff in iron, so I had my friend come over, he couldn't get the high tone but did get one signal that had good VDI numbers, and together we dug, he pulled out a nice Mercury Dime. I told him that I would have walked away from that target and that the shiny coin was his. He was happy and gave me one of the "Little Chief" tokens as a thank you.

Anyway, I've had a very good last few hunts, shared with friends, and on my solo hunt managed a Seated Quarter, a tuff find here in Montana! Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 507
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 384
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 421
  • coins44.jpg
    coins44.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 410
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 406
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 412
  • coins6.jpg
    coins6.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 379
  • coins7.jpg
    coins7.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 411
  • jason11.jpg
    jason11.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 417
That reminds me of my first seated dime I found, well worn but so much character and hands it touch. Congrats on your first seated quarter and the rest.

That reminds me of my first seated dime I found, well worn but so much character and hands it touch. Congrats on your first seated quarter and the rest.

Thank you Jam! Yep, this one definitely passed thru a lot of hands, or maybe was someone's lucky coin, kept in their pocket and rubbed all the time.

That is a great hunt especially that white whale for many that seated liberty quarter. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are on a roll as of late David!! Big congrats on your seated find, 2020 has been VERY good to you :D

Thank you Paul! Yes, am delighted with the Seated and hope to head back to that spot perhaps on Sunday afternoon!

That is a great hunt especially that white whale for many that seated liberty quarter. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Truth!

AWESOME finds! We gotta get those AT pro haters (cough cough calabash digger) to see your threads

AWESOME finds! We gotta get those AT pro haters (cough cough calabash digger) to see your threads

Thank you Coinboy! I do like my AT Pro. There are other and better detectors out there, but this one is just good all-around and helps me make some good finds. For my soil and semi arid climate, I figure I find about 95% of what is in the ground.

Thank you Coinboy! I do like my AT Pro. There are other and better detectors out there, but this one is just good all-around and helps me make some good finds. For my soil and semi arid climate, I figure I find about 95% of what is in the ground.

Nice. I might get an At Gold, a bit deeper then the pro without the horrible tones of the At Max

Nice. I might get an At Gold, a bit deeper then the pro without the horrible tones of the At Max

I've never used the AT Gold, it runs at a higher freq so it might not do super well on silver, but I don't know. On your other point, I definitely agree, I've got a couple of buddies that use the AT Max, I hate the tones of that machine. It puts an "iron grunt" into almost every signal, even silver and copper high tones.

Really great finds! That seated is worn but very nice.

Thank you Diggerjonny!

That is an awesome find with the seated quarter. Definitely high on my bucket list. Also congratulations on the new permissions. It’s amazing how this hobby works, you never know where it will take you. You are on a roll for sure

Congrats on all those silvers! But I think you are due for some gold now.

Thank you JAK! I would be delighted with gold anytime it wants to show up!

That is an awesome find with the seated quarter. Definitely high on my bucket list. Also congratulations on the new permissions. It’s amazing how this hobby works, you never know where it will take you. You are on a roll for sure

Thank you CTpilgrim. Yep, permissions can snowball and get a guy some good digging!

Back
Top Bottom