Knees are getting wrecked!

Pinch1Off

I'm a not getting any younger lady, I don't have knee problems but I am new to this and have to kneel on often hard pebbly ground..ouch. I only use a White's Digmaster so am down alot (getting shovel recommendations on different thread), does anybody have any knee pad recommendations that are easy to put on, don't slip, and hopefully not look too horrendous 😳? thank you!

You could what I do alot and just sit down on your butt. I also use Caterpillar work pants that have built in knee pads and you can't even notice them. Not sure how they would fit a lady though. There are a few different models on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cat+h20+...01&sprefix=cat+h20,aps,212&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

hey curious if you know if heat affects these. they say cotton but its treated. Any experiences say maybe near fires or welding? I work in a glass shop and deal with stuff that can be quite hot.

hey curious if you know if heat affects these. they say cotton but its treated. Any experiences say maybe near fires or welding? I work in a glass shop and deal with stuff that can be quite hot.

I'm not sure if they're fire proof sorry. I would think if it were they would advertise that fact. Sorry I don't know more. They are quite comfortable though even in the heat.

I've tried knee pads, but I find that they get in the way and are quite annoying on my legs. But to each their own.

Luckily, I can kneel on the ground I typically hunt in. However, if I needed knee protection, I'd probably use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-C...ywords=camping+butt+pad&qid=1598992341&sr=8-5

Have it attached to my hip and whip it out every time I also pull out my pinpointer.

I haven't tried it, but I think it would be a better option (for me) than knee pads.

If you have a Home Depot or Lowes close by stop in and try on the different knee pads. I only use one on my right knee when in rough terrain or if the ground is wet/muddy. The ones I use have a wide elastic strap that secures with velcro. No problems with them slipping around.

I have to get down on all fours to dig (back and knee issues) so I understand. For the past 6 months or so I've been wearing these. Not too uncomfortable and they wear well. I've tried some knee pad pants, worked for a while but I wore them out... probably because they were cheap. I also tried a pair of the big plastic ones to put on over the pants but didn't care for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyprox-Protective-Anti-Slip-Collision-Avoidance/dp/B01L379FOA/

I have to get down on all fours to dig (back and knee issues) so I understand. For the past 6 months or so I've been wearing these. Not too uncomfortable and they wear well. I've tried some knee pad pants, worked for a while but I wore them out... probably because they were cheap. I also tried a pair of the big plastic ones to put on over the pants but didn't care for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyprox-Protective-Anti-Slip-Collision-Avoidance/dp/B01L379FOA/

Thank you JimR, I will give this a shot.

The best knee pads you can get are actually made for some very specific sports and are pricey. On the plus side, they are the most comfortable pads I have ever worn and absolutely never slip down (if you have the correct size). I have my original pair for over 3 years of abuse. At the worst, I figure I am only paying about $20 a year for them and not having to keep buying new cheap ones.

Bucket Boss gel knee pads with hard plastic outer shell. And get a Sampson 31” shovel which is specifically designed for metal detecting ASAP. Don’t skimp on these two things, they will make you or break you. I love your username BTW... :lol:

I having been using a set from Menards for two years. My old paid had two straps — never again. The pads I have only wide strap and doesn’t need to be real tight.
I have a jell set with only one wide strap that Velcro’s
But once I put them on I don’t touch them even after 8 hours of detecting but I have changed mine.
I attaches a large 1” wide dog collar to the top of the pad with zip tie , poked a whole threw the top of the pad near the edge. The collar goes from the pad up around my detecting belt and back to the end of the collar and clips together. I do not have the collar strap tight bur whenever I dig it just holds the pad straight and keeps them from slipping down and turning.
It’s like having suspenders on my knee tabs.
All day detecting and I never have to adjust them.
It may sound crazy but they work.
Doug

In parks and otherwise flat ground, I carry one of those foam gardening pads to kneel on. In fields where there is stubble, I wear hard capped knee pads. Otherwise, the stubble will go through my foam pad and my knees...

These are the exact pads I’ve been using for the last 3.5 years on every hunt. When I clicked your link, Amazon told me that I last purchased them on April 25, 2017, so they were literally the first purchase I made after buying my first metal detector! More importantly, I’m still using that same set today and they’re still in great shape and going strong - durability and comfort for me has been excellent. The hard outer shell is great armor...impervious to any rock or sharp object you may inadvertently kneel down on, while the gel cushion keeps your knee perfectly comfortable. I don’t have any trouble with slipping, and I use them over long pants in cool weather and on my bare leg with shorts when it’s hot. I started out using both pads while hunting, but it didn’t take me long to realize I always kneel down on my left knee while digging - I only wear one on my left knee now. I guess if the left pad ever wears out, I can use the right one instead! :lol:

Anyways, here’s how the front and back of my left NoCry pad looks after 3.5 years of heavy use:

Attachments

• CA5C5709-293E-4D6A-A18D-DE46267C8B3A.jpg
    CA5C5709-293E-4D6A-A18D-DE46267C8B3A.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 5230BCB1-F615-4F76-B1A1-2A84EF828A47.jpg
    5230BCB1-F615-4F76-B1A1-2A84EF828A47.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 299
These are the exact pads I’ve been using for the last 3.5 years on every hunt. ... I don’t have any trouble with slipping, and I use them over long pants in cool weather and on my bare leg with shorts when it’s hot. I started out using both pads while hunting, but it didn’t take me long to realize I always kneel down on my left knee while digging - I only wear one on my left knee now. I guess if the left pad ever wears out, I can use the right one instead!

Good to see they're holding up so well. Left pad only is the way I usually roll too, especially when it's hot or when hiking long distances. In the pictures they cross the straps, which is what I started doing. I think this helps prevent slipping and also increases comfort.

Any padding helps when kneeling on the ground. Cheapie foam kneepads give enough cushion. Wearing kneepads can be uncomfortable, so if you plan to wear them, it's all about the fit; not so much the cushion. I just carry a cheapie foam pad and kneel on it with one knee for most digs.
This is important: If your knees are hurting or get wobbly, take it easy! Slow down and be gentle. Those load bearing joints aren't used to this kind of repetitious action. They need some break-in time to strengthen. They do strengthen, though! You may be surprised when after several hunts on a regular basis, your knees aren't getting as sore as they did before. Think of it as physical therapy that actually works.

Back
Top Bottom