New White's Digmaster

RocketBoy

I'm in equipment aquisition phase. We all go through it I suppose? I chose the White's Digmaster over other offerings for a couple of reasons. Price was certainly a consideration. It wasn't the cheapest, but it also wasn't the most expensive. IMHO, I think I got value for my money. There are also certain features I like. For example, the oversize handle and the large hand shield. The 'shield' can be used for additional leverage when making the initial plunge-cut into tough ground. I also like that it has serrated teeth on both sides of the blade and it appears to be anodized? Or, at least there's some kind of coating. The supplied sheath seems to be well-made. It has two reinforcing rivits at the mouth of the sheath. Earlier versions didn't and this became a failure point. To be honest, the sheath was not a big selling point. Overall, I think it will serve me well in my adventures.

b/r

RB

I didn't realize White's was going under. That's sad, I hate to see American companies go, especially when they've been around so long. I am glad to see they're still supporting their loyal customers by referring repair issues to an active shop. Shows integrity. I guess I have a 'collectible', now? That may be, but the best way I can honor White's is to put this great tool to work.

b/r

RB

Good luck finding one. Since Whites announcement they’re digging tools and accessories are getting increasingly harder to find.

I love mine. The sheath i got with it sucks but I recently got the pack mule pouch with one built in. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a side note, Treasure Outfitters in Harrisburg PA will be closing shop at the end of July. They are/were the White's dealer/distributor for the east coast they told me yesterday. They have been at that location on Derry Street for over 20 years. They can order other detectors for you but White's was where the money was to keep the business going. I did not see many accessories there but if you live not far away you might want to check in to see if they have some accessories there. They still have a lot of White detectors there so I would think a deal may be had on those. Pretty soon I think all the "brick and mortar" stores will be gone save for a stray few.

I love mine. The sheath i got with it sucks but I recently got the pack mule pouch with one built in. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my White's Digmaster too, but my sheath has started to come apart already. Hoping I might be able to locate a leather one for my belt that could work with it.

It’s my favorite of all diggers I have ever used in 50 years of detecting. If you treat it right it will last forever.
As far as the sheets it needs some tricking.
I mix up some Devcon two part Grey epoxy with a tooth pic.
I coat about and inch from the river inward on both sides and about the same on the edge from the rivet across in the front cover on both sides.
This stops the sharp serrated egged from shredded.
I also on my Digger pouch and scoop pouch I work a whole threw then and threw the belt and use a zip tie so they stay in their place on the belt. They don’t move.

I'm very happy with the digmaster. It seems strange to me that a top quality tool comes with such a cheap flimsy sheath. It has lasted 3 years without any rips or tears, so maybe it's not as cheap as it looks.

The wife has taken mine over for gardening. I watched her prying up big flagstone type stepping stones that had been down for years, jamming it between them and pushing and pulling with all her might, at one time she was pushing with both legs and her back to the porch. I was going to tell her to be careful or she'd break it, but decided to see how much it could take. Not a sign of damage. She can't break it and I'm not sure if could. It's some tough steel. I have a flappy wheel sandpaper drill thing that does an excellent job of sharpening lawn mower blades,it cleaned it up a little but nothing I would consider sharpening. They aren't all that sharp to begin with, but I think in my rocky soil that's probably best.

I managed to score a Digmaster recently off Amazon. It's a fantastic digging tool. I like it better than my Garrett Edge Digger. There are still some out there to be had. Get them while you can.

Good choice regarding the Digmaster. I have two of them, the one I'm using and a brand new never been used one so I'm set for the rest of my detecting career. The Digmaster gets the job done and IMHO is sturdier than the Lesche.
The only problem is that my sheath fell apart in no time so I had to wrap good old duct tape around it.

+1 on Whites DigMaster.

With them out of business now, hopefully someone will make a good copy of this tool so others can experience the unrivaled quality they were producing.

Sorry to burst some bubbles here, but the Digmaster ain't as indestructable as we might think. They are made in Taiwan. Great blade and great handle, but weak weld. I am on my second one now. White's promptly replaced mine when the handle broke off at the weld. After it broke, I could see the weld was not solid all the way around like it should have been.

Sorry to burst some bubbles here, but the Digmaster ain't as indestructable as we might think. They are made in Taiwan. Great blade and great handle, but weak weld. I am on my second one now. White's promptly replaced mine when the handle broke off at the weld. After it broke, I could see the weld was not solid all the way around like it should have been.

What were you doing that caused it to give? I mainly use it to saw a circle in the sod at a slight inward angle to the depth indicated by the metal detectors' pin-pointer, then gently ease the plug out to reveal the target. Any heavier digging/prying is performed with a different tool.

Perhaps you received a lemon?:?:

What were you doing that caused it to give? I mainly use it to saw a circle in the sod at a slight inward angle to the depth indicated by the metal detectors' pin-pointer, then gently ease the plug out to reveal the target. Any heavier digging/prying is performed with a different tool.

Perhaps you received a lemon?:?:

Well, I don't exactly baby my digging tools, but I wasn't gorilla-testing it either. It actually rusted around the weld, so one time it just came apart while attempting a light backwards pry. (GASP!) As far as weld quality goes, it might have been a lemon, but it did rust there, so materials were partly to blame too. The blade is stainless steel. I think if the handle and weld were of a decent grade stainless, it would not have broke.

Back
Top Bottom