Understanding Iron Masking and Target ID With The APEX

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Attachments

• 104407513_3000398250051877_8577241299873159752_o.jpg
    104407513_3000398250051877_8577241299873159752_o.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 231
Steve made a good video to help demonstrate the 'concepts' of good-target masking that involves nearby common ferrous trash. He also did a good job of explaining the settings used, and the very important knowledge that two targets positioned too close together will result in a 'blended' Audio Tone and an errant visual VDI response.

Anyone can use any detector or coil they have on-hand and duplicate the very same set-ups using similar Coin targets and Iron Nails to see how their detector and coil perform. I have done these types of tests all the time with any detector I've had since the latter '60s because I often hunt in a lot of iron debris.

However, if any reader knows me, I always have something else to say as a 'reminder' or to 'call attention to' something, and this post is no exception ....

If Steve turned 90° and swept the center-axis of the search coil over a coin with the series of nails now in a different orientation to his bigger-size DD coil, the end results would likely be different. Why? Because there would be more ferrous target metal under the search coil, and that will drastically effect the performance of most detectors.

Thus, the long and short of it all is, if your detector and coil can't do what the Apex & Viper coil can do in Steve's video, with the same targets and lay-out, then it's obvious the Apex & Viper coil have an 'edge' for some hunting environments. If you have a similar-size coil on a different model and it can do what Steve's unit did, then turn 90° and see just how well your detector / coil combo can handle things.

Monte

Good point Monte. And that is a good reason to own more then one coil. A small coil for better target separation but less depth, and a larger coil for greater depth, but probably poorer target separation. A lot of people put too much emphasis on depth as a first comment on any new release. There's always something to gain, and something to lose with coils.

A larger coil will get better depth as a rule, however, will lose the ability to separate targets and usually has poorer ID characteristics. A smaller coil usually gets much more accurate ID, is the better choice for hunting in trashy places, but has a loss of depth.

Depending on what and where you like to hunt, should be an indicator of which coil you use. Garrett will probably come out with some additional coils for the APEX to support the demand as they get caught up with the orders.

Below is a link from Garrett with a fairly good explanation on search coils which is typical for all manufacturers of metal detectors

https://garrett.com/sites/default/files/2020-01/searchcoil_tech_sheet.pdf

Attachments

• pic103387.jpg
    pic103387.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Blended audio is something all detectorist should learn. If you don't you will pass up good finds. I haven't owned a detector yet that doesn't blend audio. If you're just waiting for perfect tones, I would love to hunt behind you.

Blended audio is something all detectorist should learn. If you don't you will pass up good finds. I haven't owned a detector yet that doesn't blend audio. If you're just waiting for perfect tones, I would love to hunt behind you.

Isn't that the truth. There's more to metal detecting then just beep-dig beep dig. There's only so much technology that can go into any metal detectors. There are a lot of things to learn that aren't in the instructional book supplies with machines. And those are the things that separate a good hunter from a great hunter.

Isn't that the truth. There's more to metal detecting then just beep-dig beep dig. There's only so much technology that can go into any metal detectors. There are a lot of things to learn that aren't in the instructional book supplies with machines. And those are the things that separate a good hunter from a great hunter.

Nuance has been the most important thing once I got beyond basics.

I'm a fan of large coils and adjustable recovery speed.
There's obvious depth advantages, but they can see around iron better in certain scenarios better than a tiny 5" coil.
Here's a 15" coil doing the same test and also turning 90° like Monty suggested.
I'm using a Dime, hammered penny and a Nickle.

https://youtu.be/xaT1b1EhqpQ

Back
Top Bottom