• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

apex on salt water beach

The Lama

Elite Member
I did end up spending some stimulus check money on an an American made product i bought an Apex.I took it to the beach today and a few things i noticed right away it is super light but the balance makes it feel even lighter the only thing close would be a Tarrsacci or maybe some Fishers. Multisalt is crazy good in the ocean i think super effective for California style wet sanding but Florida and Hawaii hunters will want one of those waterproof boxes when they come out.Dry sand i might end up liking 10 or 15kz better than multi but i only have a few hours so not sure yet,the tones are easy on the ears but maybe not quite as descriptive as the at pro but i probably shouldn't say that until i get some time i don't want to be like one of those youtube guys that compare detectors before they really learn them.Stay safe and happy hunting

My opinion

If your going to hunt salt water , get a machine semi waterproof to 10 meter's , atleast you don't have to worry about the head getting wet, Garrett should have figured this out , after the release of the Equinox 600 for 125 buck more , now that Whites , and Tesoro are out of business , no room for machine at the beach -that fall's short in hunting water. :violin::confused:

If your going to hunt salt water , get a machine semi waterproof to 10 meter's , atleast you don't have to worry about the head getting wet, Garrett should have figured this out , after the release of the Equinox 600 for 125 buck more , now that Whites , and Tesoro are out of business , no room for machine at the beach -that fall's short in hunting water. :violin::confused:

Garrett has a reason for not waterproofing the Apex, and I don't think it's due to engineering concerns.

Mh9132016

Mmmmm , well what's the reason , because of previous better semi waterproof multi freq. machines out , that are waterproof up to 10 foot in water , after all those years of the AT PRO fresh water machine, finally they produce a machine good in Salt water besides there CZ series fully waterproof dual freq. water detector's , but not able to submerge the head, makes NO since to me , posting what you said, I would be interested in the truth , not cutting up on Garrett , but what's the reason than ???? , because I'd rather swing Equinox, Ctx, Df , or Excalibur ' s at the beach , Ps coil ' s have been waterproof for decades , just does'nt cut the mustard anymore , failure to update machine's in 2020 leads to a dead ship in the water in my opinion , wonder what they were thinking. Even detecting the Wet salt , I would want a waterproof head up to 3 meters. Ps might be a good dry sand machine for beach , but that's about it, no big deal. AFTER reading up on this machine further , rain proof is good on land , waterproof to 3 meter ' s would have been better , but I guess keeping the cost under 500 clam's I can see the reason, 3 meter waterproofing would have been sweet, I would have bought one , at that price , maybe they will think about it , or my next machine will be Mine lab #5:laughing:

Last edited:
Mmmmm , well what's the reason ....
A simple answer?

There are far more people in this outdoor sport, be them a part-time Hobbyist or an active Avid Detectorist, who do not get out into the water and submerse a detector. Most, by far the very most, are mainly land-based detector users. They might work a beach and even wade into the shallow surf with the waterproof coil, but most people do not want or need a 'waterproof' and 'submersible' detector.

I feel Garrett made a very good decision on that concept with the Apex introduction.

Monte

Monte

Your opinion is valad , however in my opinion first i would get a Equinox 600 waterproof to 10 foot , 3 year warranty , over this detector, ya some might not venture into the water , but it would be nice if they did to have no worries, even shallow wading , if you drop that machine from a wave knocking into you , your machine is toast, a land machine , like i said rain proof is fine, alot are now, and most all have waterproof coil's , this thread is about" Apex on salt water beach , so in my opinion , and in the eye's of most beach hunter's , waterproofing is needed, why because most don't dry sand hunt, older guy's it's very - hard on the body :shock: happy hunting.

Surfmaster i do have a cz and an infineum if i need to stay submerged .in my part of California we don't have reefs like florida or Hawaii so you don't really go to far past knee deep or waves throw you around and make retrieval pretty tough so far the weather seal flaps are working fine ,when the winter storms hit i'll put a dollop of caulking over the charging port i'm not to worried about it.The benefit of such a light effortless swing and so far i think better disc than a cz or excalibur make me really like this thing especially being it cost me about the same as a ctx coil and i really like the made in usa factor.

Mmmmm , well what's the reason , because of previous better semi waterproof multi freq. machines out , that are waterproof up to 10 foot in water , after all those years of the AT PRO fresh water machine, finally they produce a machine good in Salt water besides there CZ series fully waterproof dual freq. water detector's , but not able to submerge the head, makes NO since to me , posting what you said, I would be interested in the truth , not cutting up on Garrett , but what's the reason than ???? , because I'd rather swing Equinox, Ctx, Df , or Excalibur ' s at the beach , Ps coil ' s have been waterproof for decades , just does'nt cut the mustard anymore , failure to update machine's in 2020 leads to a dead ship in the water in my opinion , wonder what they were thinking. Even detecting the Wet salt , I would want a waterproof head up to 3 meters. Ps might be a good dry sand machine for beach , but that's about it, no big deal. AFTER reading up on this machine further , rain proof is good on land , waterproof to 3 meter ' s would have been better , but I guess keeping the cost under 500 clam's I can see the reason, 3 meter waterproofing would have been sweet, I would have bought one , at that price , maybe they will think about it , or my next machine will be Mine lab #5:laughing:

Personally I think the reason it is not waterproof is because they don't want to cut into AT Pro sales. That is their all time selling machine and it is still very popular. I just hope they eventually release an AT version of the Apex that has the depth and separation needed to replace the AT Pro. Then I may actually keep another Garrett machine in my arsenal. After several days of testing my Apex in the field and coin garden I know for sure it will not replace any of my other machines and will not be staying in my lineup.

Detectorben - reply

The ATPRO is a fresh water waterproof machine , if they put salt option's on the APEX than multi frequincy , they should have made it waterproof like the ATPRO, than they would have had a waterproof fresh, and salt water machine, so basically the beach guy's like myself, will have no interest , on land , Garrett could never keep up with ML , now if Garrett wanted, they could have made it waterproof like the Equinox, and CTX3030 , I GUESS CHOOSING , to keep the price down without waterproofing , they just should have taken the salt option's out, and put more land option's on the machine, intead of running short , in my opinion , because dry sand would be just about- your only option on the beach , without worries about the head getting wet, frying the machine. IT's 2020 detector demand's have changed , if we spend good money in this economy , we want no short falls . :realitycheck:

Surfmaster your in luck Garrett already said they plan on an at series model coming along after this i suspect it will have features such as fully proportional audio, tone roll, all metal,one more frequency and a few other things that will make you happy

This is what Garrett does in marketing....make a detector Atpro.....then give it threshold adjustability, call it the gold At. Now update it more with lights and bells and call it the AtMax.
Do you see how they pull the cash machine handle? Cha Ching!!!:lol:

Surfmaster your in luck Garrett already said they plan on an at series model coming along after this i suspect it will have features such as fully proportional audio, tone roll, all metal,one more frequency and a few other things that will make you happy

That sounds good but I don't want to pay more than $425 for it!!:yes::cool:

Well

All said & done, I don't have a Garrett in my tool box except a pro pointer & Garrett Carrot, so I hope there next machine out, is something special , I don't want to see another manufacturer close shop , as two have already , sad to see this after 44 years of detecting good times , happy hunting everybody . Earl

All said & done, I don't have a Garrett in my tool box except a pro pointer & Garrett Carrot, so I hope there next machine out, is something special , I don't want to see another manufacturer close shop , as two have already , sad to see this after 44 years of detecting good times , happy hunting everybody . Earl

While I agree with the first part of your post the last part is definitely not a worry for me. Garrett has the beginner metal detector market on lock down. The Ace series has to be the all time leading metal detector. I see every kid and newbie at the park using this machine and it has been featured in tv commercials around the world. Most people outside the hobby picture a Garrett Ace machine when they think of metal detectors. Also Garrett has a huge security and military presence which I believe is the main cash cow for their business. Garrett could put out pure !!!! hobby metal detectors for the next 20 years and not go out of business. Hobby detectors are a very small part of their overall operations.

Back
Top Bottom