• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Suspenders are the best!

Bluesguitar1

I never thought I'd ever find a reason to truly justify wearing suspenders. I was out tool-belt shopping at all the local hardware stores after checking out the load bearing bests on fee-bay. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money just yet on metal detecting accessories. I ended up finding a perfect size ammo pouch made by "Allen" at a sporting goods store for only like $11. I can use my regular leather belt with this too. On the way out, I grabbed a pair of good quality suspenders with plastic clips that don't chew up the belt. Since I had my gear with me, I assembled everything in the parking lot and dawned the new fashionable suspenders. Wow, now I don't have to keep pulling up my shorts after every step or after digging a plug. I'd like to also point out that I may be the only metal detectorist who wears Redwing pull-on boots with shorts for detecting, but they suit my requirements perfectly. I thought the steel toe would cause problems with the metal detector, but it's not an issue. So here I am with an outdoor sun hat with neck bib, suspenders, work boots, and an ammo pouch :cool:. I bet it looks silly to some, but everything works great and is very comfortable. Hopefully this post may help someone save some cash when getting started.

Happy hunting, gents.

Bluesguitar1 :digginahole:

BG1, I think we would all like to see a pic of you in your unique detecting attire. :lol: I am pretty sure I am not as stylish as you but if that works for you, that's all that counts. I have contemplated trying suspenders when detecting. I do get tired of pulling up my detecting pants. Digging tool and pin pointer and full pockets tend to make them slide down.

I never thought I'd ever find a reason to truly justify wearing suspenders..... I bet it looks silly to some.......

BG1, I think we would all like to see a pic of you in your unique detecting attire. :lol: ........

Maybe something like this ? :lol: (just joking, I remembered this GIF and thought it would be funny here :lol:) (suspenders is a practical idea !)
old_detectorist.gif

I went the really cheap route. My detecting belt kept falling down when I was hunting in the winter and had it around my coat. I made some quick suspenders out of a piece of rope... Come to think of it that may of been the same day a guy was questioning me while swinging and asked I could afford to eat or needed any money. :lol:

I use suspenders when huntjng, long pants or shorts, without them I would be embarrassing myself all over the place because the men in my family have no butt to hold pants up.
I just buy cheap ones at Walmart, Target, wherever, 8-$10 or so with the metal clips which I clip to my pants, not a belt.
I use a heavy leather belt to hold my pouch and tools on one side and a trash pouch on the other so I don't need any extra belts
They don't last forever, they stretch out or the clips can wear out or break but I can usually get at least one season out of them, sometimes more.

If I am feeling very anti-social in public parks or don't want anybody bothering me, especially kids, I found wearing a pair of tighty-whiteys OVER my hunting pants will easily do the trick.
You get some weird stares and people whispering about you but nobody will dare to come near me.

I went the really cheap route. My detecting belt kept falling down when I was hunting in the winter and had it around my coat. I made some quick suspenders out of a piece of rope... Come to think of it that may of been the same day a guy was questioning me while swinging and asked I could afford to eat or needed any money. :lol:

:lol: ......and that is when you tell him how much you have invested in detecting equipment and watch for the expression on his face :shock: :lol:

(nice of him to ask though !)

BG1, I think we would all like to see a pic of you in your unique detecting attire. :lol: I am pretty sure I am not as stylish as you but if that works for you, that's all that counts. I have contemplated trying suspenders when detecting. I do get tired of pulling up my detecting pants. Digging tool and pin pointer and full pockets tend to make them slide down.

I was also thinking a picture would help convey what I was trying to explain. I'll see what I can do here in a bit :yes:

Damn that is funny and sad at the same time. If it works, it works, I suppose.

If I am feeling very anti-social in public parks or don't want anybody bothering me, especially kids, I found wearing a pair of tighty-whiteys OVER my hunting pants will easily do the trick.
You get some weird stares and people whispering about you but nobody will dare to come near me.

Now THAT is a great idea! Might make the local news with that technique. :laughing:

Good idea ! :yes: I already wear suspenders anyway , why not two pairs at once ? If I were to be hassled by the "Fashion Police " I could use a third pair as a garrote .:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom