• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Couple of Tailgaters and a Bucket Lister

Compass

Forum Supporter
You know how tailgaters creep up on you and, perhaps in an effort to intimidate you, stay close to you expecting you to speed up or move aside? That's how I felt today on a lake hunt.
I was hunting a swim area that must have been at least an acre in size when a guy enters the water and starts hunting about 15 feet from me. At least, when I mentioned the absurdity of this to him, he was gracious enough to say that he would move away- and he promptly did so. About an hour passes by and another hunter does the same thing!
This time, I bit my lip and didn't say anything to him and fortunately he moved on up ahead of me but wasn't hunting as far out as I am able to go. I decided to hunt slow and thoroughly and was rewarded with a small but repeating single digit TID on the Nox, hunting in "gold " mode with the sniper coil.
Unlike the gold chain I found a couple of weeks ago at a different lake, this one was completely in the bottom of the scoop as opposed to hanging over the edge but it has 1 bent link so I may have hit it when recovering it.
I didn't have my camera on me but took a picture on my cell phone before driving home.
picture.php

I had never found a gold crucifix on a gold chain before today but It was something on my wish list at the beginning of the year. As a Christian it reminded me that I can be a little more patient with people at times. I can't always control what people do but I should be able to control how I react to them. I only found a couple dollars in clad and some costume jewelry in addition to the chain. Obviously, this area is pretty well hunted.
picture.php

Another gold chain that was closed when I found it. Stamped "14K Italy" on the clasps. GL&HH!

Good to see some buttery CA action ! And I like the "money-shot" pix of the gold on the scale :cool:

Beautiful find. I had to laugh when you talked about the (explitives deleted) starting to detect right in front of you. Shorty after the CTX-3030 came out a guy did that to me. I was a bit surprised that someone would be that rude. We had a few miles of beach available. I decided to get a foot deeper in the surf and continue to detect. Saw him dig a grave Never did see him pick up a target but i found a 18k wedding band thanks to his moving me a bit deeper in the surf.

Nice STELLAR chain Christian Compass ! Yes , it is how you react because you can't control others. This has been happening alot it seems lately. Idk what the deal is. When I talk to them sometimes it helps , sometimes not. Some don't want to talk. These are leeches ! So... when I'm being "pushed" what I do is speed up very fast like they are. Getting ahead enough , I will then discreetly scatter some birdshot. Then just as fast I double back to the area I want to hunt. This typically does the trick and they won't mess with you again. I will even roll up right on them and tell them what I did. The problem is it kinda ruins that area to hunt. This is a last resort , but it works.

A really nice chain & cross, WTG!
They learn the hard way that a chain that can be put on over the head, can come off much easier when diving or doing headstands in the water...
DL

Good to see some buttery CA action ! And I like the "money-shot" pix of the gold on the scale :cool:
Thanks Tom, I know you do! Some good bullion value but I don't see selling this one.

Beautiful pieces, congrats!
Thanks GS, Yes, not only have I been fortunate in finding a fair amount of gold this year but many pieces like these are beautiful or of good quality.

Beautiful find. I had to laugh when you talked about the (explitives deleted) starting to detect right in front of you. Shorty after the CTX-3030 came out a guy did that to me. I was a bit surprised that someone would be that rude. We had a few miles of beach available. I decided to get a foot deeper in the surf and continue to detect. Saw him dig a grave Never did see him pick up a target but i found a 18k wedding band thanks to his moving me a bit deeper in the surf.
Thanks George, Yes, I was pretty surprised as I would never do that but, who knows, maybe I would never have found the chain if those 2 guys hadn't showed up?
Nice STELLAR chain Christian Compass ! Yes , it is how you react because you can't control others. This has been happening alot it seems lately. Idk what the deal is. When I talk to them sometimes it helps , sometimes not. Some don't want to talk. These are leeches ! So... when I'm being "pushed" what I do is speed up very fast like they are. Getting ahead enough , I will then discreetly scatter some birdshot. Then just as fast I double back to the area I want to hunt. This typically does the trick and they won't mess with you again. I will even roll up right on them and tell them what I did. The problem is it kinda ruins that area to hunt. This is a last resort , but it works.
Thanks KOB, I think these guys probably hunt this lake quite a bit and maybe felt a bit entitled since they haven't seen me there before. They'd probably be surprised to know that I used to hunt this lake regularly since it opened back in the 70's. Funny but back then I used to also go snorkeling there and found paper money and even jewelry. Today there were a few people snorkeling there.
A really nice chain & cross, WTG!
They learn the hard way that a chain that can be put on over the head, can come off much easier when diving or doing headstands in the water...
DL
Thank DL, Yes, they must come off easier than I would have thought. :yes:

Nice looking chain George congrats on it.. I can relate to what happened to you... when i was hunting a trough close to shore a number of years ago I hit a nice fat gold band within 5 minutes of finding it I had another gold in the scoop my problem was I showed PI JOE first the ring then the medal then went back to hunting when all of a sudden I started hearing a pulsing sound through my speakers... it was Joe invading my security circle.. he is a scavenger :laughing:

:dingding: That's one I haven't come across yet a chain with the pendant still on it. Awesome find!

Nice looking chain George congrats on it.. I can relate to what happened to you... when i was hunting a trough close to shore a number of years ago I hit a nice fat gold band within 5 minutes of finding it I had another gold in the scoop my problem was I showed PI JOE first the ring then the medal then went back to hunting when all of a sudden I started hearing a pulsing sound through my speakers... it was Joe invading my security circle.. he is a scavenger :laughing:
Thanks Craig but I thought that we were all scavengers. :lol:

Wait to stay cool and be rewarded. Congrats!
Thanks Beachhunter, All that emotional intelligence training when I was still working may turn out useful yet. :lol:

:dingding: That's one I haven't come across yet a chain with the pendant still on it. Awesome find!
Thanks Felix, Well, prior to this year I only had 1 in several decades of detecting but now I have 4 so things can turn around pretty quickly. :yes: Just a matter of time for you.

Another Nox chain?!
Nice one.
Now you got me thinkin...hmmm.
Back up machine to the Excal maybe?
Zee had a string of leaky ones,
went back to his Excal. You totally
submerging yours?

Bottom feeders. Can't help themselves. They see you robbing from their jewelry store and things start getting territorial. Reality hits them 15 bottle caps later.

And congrats on a KILLER chain. CHACHING! You are on fire! :sun2:

Another Nox chain?!
Nice one.
Now you got me thinkin...hmmm.
Back up machine to the Excal maybe?
Zee had a string of leaky ones,
went back to his Excal. You totally
submerging yours?
Thanks Aquaman, My control box was submerged more than it wasn't on this hunt and, fortunately, no leakage problems to this point.
I only use the Nox in freshwater as I am not a big fan of the Beach modes(not yet anyway). Perhaps some hunters that use it in salt water will chime in here.
I tested the chain (w/o the cross) I found yesterday on 3 detectors (air test). I couldn't detect it with the Excal, my BeachHunter hit it at 2"and the Nox in Gold 2 mode saw it at 5". In Beach 1 mode I could hear the chain at 4".

Bottom feeders. Can't help themselves. They see you robbing from their jewelry store and things start getting territorial. Reality hits them 15 bottle caps later.

And congrats on a KILLER chain. CHACHING! You are on fire! :sun2:

Thanks RRF, I'm sure that they hunt that spot regularly and have done well there. Now that summer is over the pickings are probably getting slimmer and they are desperately trying to find another keeper or two.
Yes, the Nox is finally doing what I expected it to do when I got it a couple of years ago. Part of it is luck and part of it is me getting to know the detector better. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom