Coinstar gold !

Anyone can tell a story, but pictures of the loot help to bring the "story" to life. Until then it's just a story.

I approached a man one day who was about to open up coinstar machine. He had on a green vest with a coinstar logo. I asked him, are you grabbing all the silver coins and other items from the reject trays. His answer was "There are no reject trays." Oh really? I said that's not true, silver gets rejected and sometimes ends up in the reject tray. His answer was "No it doesn't, it goes into the coin return." Yeah, but what about those three reject trays? "There are none." He then grabs his gear and heads outside. Sorry bud, Ive seen them and I know from experience that certain items end up these.

I don't have any pics from my "Cool story" though, I'm not claiming to have found anything, it's just a cool story BRO! :cool:

I just want to confirm my understanding of what you just said: an individual who is presenting himself as a Coinstar representative or employee is flat out denying the existence of reject trains that customers do not have access to. And he's making this denial in the face of clear evidence to the contrary?

Why stop there? Just think about the abundance of "abandoned" coins there are in the unattended isles of the cashiers...hmmmm.

If Coinstar is stealing from customers in a way that (most) customers aren't even aware of, I wouldn't consider their property as abandoned.

The more I read about Coinstar, the sketchier they become, even with some fine-print contract that supposedly gives them the legal right to the "abandoned" items.

I'm not really sure, so I'll give 2 scenarios: #1) Coinstar machines are deliberately designed to capture occasional odd items in the interior. THIS MEANS THOSE ITEMS ARE STOLEN. #2) Coinstar machines are designed with interior "lint trays" to capture trash only(which is inevitable), but inadvertently capture items of value as well. THIS WOULD BE A MACHINE ERROR LOSS SITUATION. I like to believe it's #2. Either way, the customer should have the right to retrieve their lost or stolen items. Most customers don't. They accept the outcome and walk away. NOW WHO HAS THE RIGHTS TO THESE ITEMS? A coin on the floor is abandoned, so anyone can have it, right? What about the gold, silver, and coinage littering the inside of the machine's cabinet? Seems to me, any customer who complains about a jammed machine or missing items would have the right to all of the loose change and interior-captured items inside.(Their items, plus all the rest, because who-knows-what-belongs-to-who) No complaining customers? Then what? Store employee? Coinstar attendant? The store? City? State? Federal Government? Tom-in-CA? You tell me.

Just thought of another scenario: All of the loose coinage inside the cabinet, including in the interior reject tray may have been properly counted and paid for, but not properly deposited into the correct bin. In this case, it would all belong rightfully to the machine's owner. Non-coin items should not have been introduced in the first place, so "Coinstar Guy" gets that too.
I kind of doubt any of those coins were counted, but maybe?

I just want to confirm my understanding of what you just said: an individual who is presenting himself as a Coinstar representative or employee is flat out denying the existence of reject trains that customers do not have access to. And he's making this denial in the face of clear evidence to the contrary?

His answer was there are no reject trays.

Just thought of another scenario: All of the loose coinage inside the cabinet, including in the interior reject tray may have been properly counted and paid for, but not properly deposited into the correct bin. In this case, it would all belong rightfully to the machine's owner. Non-coin items should not have been introduced in the first place, so "Coinstar Guy" gets that too.
I kind of doubt any of those coins were counted, but maybe?

I doubt it too, but you're right, it is a possibility...

I'm not really sure, so I'll give 2 scenarios: #1) Coinstar machines are deliberately designed to capture occasional odd items in the interior. THIS MEANS THOSE ITEMS ARE STOLEN. #2) Coinstar machines are designed with interior "lint trays" to capture trash only(which is inevitable), but inadvertently capture items of value as well. THIS WOULD BE A MACHINE ERROR LOSS SITUATION. I like to believe it's #2. Either way, the customer should have the right to retrieve their lost or stolen items. Most customers don't. They accept the outcome and walk away. NOW WHO HAS THE RIGHTS TO THESE ITEMS? A coin on the floor is abandoned, so anyone can have it, right? What about the gold, silver, and coinage littering the inside of the machine's cabinet? Seems to me, any customer who complains about a jammed machine or missing items would have the right to all of the loose change and interior-captured items inside.(Their items, plus all the rest, because who-knows-what-belongs-to-who) No complaining customers? Then what? Store employee? Coinstar attendant? The store? City? State? Federal Government? Tom-in-CA? You tell me.

Great questions.

I also want to believe it's situation #2. But it still doesn't absolve Coinstar of their wrongful behavior. Even with some fine print somewhere, knowing almost no one would ready it means Coinstar is being reckless with their policy.

And yes, a customer should have the right to retrieve their property from any return/trash/lint/coin tray. The fact that they don't is really troubling. I can't think of a single legitimate reason why Coinstar would have a trash/return/link tray that the customer not only doesn't know about, but cannot physically access. This is especially notable because they have an easily accessible coin return tray.

I'm no criminal law attorney, but a stolen item will always belong to the legal owner, even if it passes hands of various "owners," right? And I can't imagine any statute of repose or limitation existing that tells the rightful owner of property that their legal right to an item no longer exists when they cannot reasonably know that something has been stolen from them. This isn't some case of adverse possession where a landowner doesn't learn about someone trespassing because they're an absentee landowner or notices the encroachment, but decides to ignore it.

Therefore, assuming Coinstar is engaging in theft, only the rightful owner has a right to the property. But practically speaking, it's been abandoned. Fine. But in that case, when it comes to deciding who now owns the stolen property, it's certainly not Coinstar.

I think the answer to this overarching question as both a practical and legal answer. Assuming Coinstar is engaged in theft, the legal owner is the original owner. But the practical owner is the person who actually takes possession of the "lost" item in the hidden reject tray.

Next time I'm out, I'll take a close look at a Coinstar machine. Perhaps there is some writing on the machine that's easily legible and states something along the lines of:

"We are not responsible for any items placed into this machine that are not recognized as a valid US coin. However, if you believe one of your coins was mistakenly rejected, or that you had a non-coin item that accidentally made its way into the machine, and your item was not returned into the return slot, please contact a store employee who will open the Coinstar machine and grant you access to your lost item."

If such language exists, I still believe the original owner is the legal owner of the items in the locked/hidden tray. However, the reality is that anyone can claim to lose something and then get access to it and take anything they want (as you already indicated). There's the law and there's what people do...

I first started using coinstar about 6 or 7 years ago. Then the rake was 5.9%. Not to bad and convenient. Now , the main one I use is 12.9 %. But have seen one at 10.9%. Yes it's a RIP off. Some credit unions here don't charge on their machines. But I do have a choice and it's still cheaper than Tom's 30% !

I know for a fact there are errors in these machines. But keep in mind just about all my coins have something going on with them even after cleaning. And I push in volume. Fact is some of my coins just "disappear". Not many but some. This is even accounting for the rake%. After seeing the insides , now I know why. But I also gotta believe that some end up in the locked black metal boxes that hold the stored coins , uncounted in my totals.

I think there are guys that really take this seriously. Driving daily to 6 or 7 of these things to see what they get. I would occasionally look but after some incredible finds over the last 4 months , I will look everytime I pass one in a store. I just wish I could clean out the interior "dirt" tray every time !

I once put a dollar coin in last at my bank. It didn’t count it. I asked the teller to get the key to retrieve it. She said they didn’t have a key. A lie, I knew from previous interaction. Hell with the bank, he’ll with coin star.

I once put a dollar coin in last at my bank. It didn’t count it. I asked the teller to get the key to retrieve it. She said they didn’t have a key. A lie, I knew from previous interaction. Hell with the bank, he’ll with coin star.

That's one way for a bank to get some extra change...

Some credit unions here don't charge on their machines.
Some? In their defense, a legit credit union is non-profit. If you’re a member, you’re part owner, and in no way should be charged a fee for the counter.

Why even deal with a bank to begin with?

” a legit credit union is non-profit. If you’re a member, you’re part owner”

🤣That's hilarious!🤣 the ex-wife worked for a nonprofit for almost 20 years. Guess what they talked about in weekly meetings ? 🤣 Making a profit ! At the annual xmas party the president would get up in front of 1000 people and talk about what ? Yup...making a profit !!!
Nonprofit is a tax scam...

Back
Top Bottom