• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Silver Coin Spill with Big Silver!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Haven't done much detecting lately, due to the ridiculous heat and humidity here in RI the last few weeks. Hot weather finally broke today, so I headed out to an old walking trail I've done in the past. This spot has produced a few IHC's, but that's about it.

Had a slow day until I got a 92 signal next to a large rock. I was thinking ox knob, but I ended up with a silver coin spill! First one out of the hole was a 1940 Merc and then I dug out a 1964 Rosie. I knew there had to be more than that in there, so I kept digging and poking around with my pinpointer. Got another signal and pulled out some big silver, a 1936 Walker! Only the second one I've ever found and my first half dollar in over year.

Haven't cleaned them up yet, but here's some in situ pics:

Attachments

• IMG_9593.jpg
    IMG_9593.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_9597.jpg
    IMG_9597.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 460
Nice that the heat broke up here in New England, huh?!

Yup, it's been a brutal few weeks here. Ground is bone dry and the woods are full of mosquitos and ticks! I've only been going out once a week, which kills me. But Fall is right around the corner and that's when the finds will ramp up. HH.

The heat and humidity definitely makes hunting tough, but the mosquitos have been absolutely ridiculous this year! It seems they are becoming immune to any kind of bug spray I have used. Very nice spill Tim, hope to see more finds from you as fall approaches, happy hunting!

Thanks, Jeff! I've been using Cutter bug spray and it's totally worthless on mosquitos this summer! Also getting harassed by horseflies all the time. Cold weather stinks, but it does get rid of all these annoying bugs! HH.

Thanks, guys! I was so happy I didn't ding this one. My last walker ended up with a big scratch on it from my digger. Having a pinpointer definitely cuts down on the coin mishaps!

Great spill, its exciting finding good stuff in the middle of the woods. I found a seated dime and a v nickel spill one of my first couple times out just getting used to my detector behind some family's house in the woods.

I too am eager to get out in MA once it cools down a little bit

I too am eager to get out in MA once it cools down a little bit

Yup, I spoke too soon! We had one cool day and then the heat and humidity came back. The end is near, though. Should be great detecting weather in a few days. Now if would only rain, we'll be killing it in no time.

Back
Top Bottom