• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Button-like object. Writing.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Found this in a field that should've seen some civil war activity. However, it was not far from a house that was recently been torn down. (Maybe early1900s house, I think). It was my first target of the day. I believe it rang up like is expect a penny or piece of copper. I thought I had button with broken shank but I'm not so sure. The mark I mistook for a shank is visible on both sides.

I cleaned it with a toothpick this morning and took a quick picture. It was not until I looked at the photo later and saw that there were letters visible. I can't read them. At first I thought the first two letters were "R A" but now I am thinking that might be the letter "M". The last four letters appear to be "N T E D"...

There appears to be rust on the object which is inconsistent with what I'd expect to find on copper but I don't know.

Any ideas?
a6526f9f1900483656f515aee873a800.jpg
3a04546aa6b3cbf94c5924a712186193.jpg
9c96ebd2d4b4b666c83021c3e0af98d4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know exactly what this is!!!! and you are missing a lot of parts. It was one of those quack medical things. surrounding this piece, all mounted to leather, were tiny discs of metal(different types if I remember correctly). Ill try and look up the name of it and see if I can find the pics of the one I found. it is from the 1800s if I remember correctly

Tpmetal - how on EARTH do you know that! That's amazing!

It never amazes me any more. The vast knowledge and experience represented here is just outstanding. There are "experts" on almost anything.

Well said Bayoutalker and I agree! Back before we had the internet as we know today I found one of these and had no clue as to what it was? I remember reading an issue of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine once and "low and behold" Mark Parker identified my mystery find in his column :>)

Tpmetal - how on EARTH do you know that! That's amazing!

haha only reason is because I found most of one, was so confused when I dug it. Took me a week of searching to figure it out lol.

It never amazes me any more. The vast knowledge and experience represented here is just outstanding. There are "experts" on almost anything.

Well said Bayoutalker and I agree! Back before we had the internet as we know today I found one of these and had no clue as to what it was? I remember reading an issue of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine once and "low and behold" Mark Parker identified my mystery find in his column :>)

treasure hunters must have spent fortunes in books to identify finds before the internet. heck with reverse picture search you can sometimes get lucky and do nearly no work at all!

Back
Top Bottom