Burial Flag Pole Finial?

witchcityeng

Dug this 45 years ago with my whites 5000d in the woods next to a colonial cemetery in Marblehead. Looks like cast bronze. Patina is green with little corrosion and it looked like this this out of ground with only soap and water cleanup. I think it’s a flag finial and it may have flown off the flag pole during a ceremony? The thread appears to be 3/8-16 but it’s square tip, similar to a lead screw thread. Either it fractured during hand tapping or when it was screwed to the metal pole and they used it anyway.. Burials were performed at the cemetery from 1638 to the late 1800’s. 600 revolutionary soldiers are interred there. Any comments on what it is? I’ve kept everything I found since I was given a detector for xmas when I was 12!

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 367
Interesting object.

Bronze sounds correct from picture and your cleanup description.

Square thread would be consistent with attaching to a wood pole.

harpoon tip?

my first instinct was a harpoon tip but given its proximity to the grave sites, i believe it was a grave flag ornament, plus if you stuck a whale with it it would just break off instantly! It's a heavy crude cast. If it was civil war I would think it would be eagle shaped. The eagle was adopted in 1782 so it's my speculation that this was cast before that. I agree that a square thread is best for a wood poll

Looks like a kettle point. Indians use to make arrow heads out of old broken kettles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom