• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Knob repacement on Minlad Excaliber 2

bigp2

Went out with Excaliber for the first time in five years the other day all the knobs fell apart. Purchased replacement knobs on ebay, wondering if the fact that they have brass inserts will cause a problem? The original ones were all plastic.

Went out with Excaliber for the first time in five years the other day all the knobs fell apart. Purchased replacement knobs on ebay, wondering if the fact that they have brass inserts will cause a problem? The original ones were all plastic.

Just be careful. The plastic ones are the weak link and will break if bumped against something. The brass ones will transfer any impact to the shaft and possibly damage the pots. So as long as you don't throw your detector in the bed of your truck or any other careless stuff, you will be fine.

when I had a knob go out on my Excal, I simply filed a slightly larger slot in thing, and wedged a penny in there. So then it was like a butterfly valve knob :wow:

You’ll be fine with the brass inserts and in fact they are better and helps make the knob stronger.
The brass won’t hurt the pot. If the pot gets broke you’ve done something really wrong, Hammer.

Doug

The knobs with the brass inserts and set screw are far superior to the stock knobs. Some of the replacement knobs are slightly larger so just be careful you don't turn too hard and break the traces.

I recommend putting Teflon tape or pipe dope on set screw threads so they will be removable in the future..

Back
Top Bottom